Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rckstr1253 View Post
    Totally agree! Stinks though as the story in this series has been great so far and I for one was happy to see spidercide again. I always felt they could of done more with him. As for reading something else, it’s kind of hard. I’m not a dc fan at all and find most of image comics boring. So I’m left without a genre to read again.

As for spidercide, does he have web shooting capabilities? He’s kind of a symbiote meets mr fantastic character.
    It might be possible.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Eh... I don't get it, honest. I thought Jurgens was going to use the version of his costume that saw print:

Bottom right one. It does feel like it can be particularly menacing, what with the black and white spider playing off each other remarkably well.

With this version, I honestly feel I like original Spidercide better.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Astonishing Member

I don’t know, it looks pretty good to me and represents Spidercide’s twisted desire to “be a Spider-Man too” while missing the point of what it means to be Spidey.

i was avoiding this thread to save myself from spoilers, but i've never been great with self control

Totally agree! Stinks though as the story in this series has been great so far and I for one was happy to see spidercide again. I always felt they could of done more with him. As for reading something else, it’s kind of hard. I’m not a dc fan at all and find most of image comics boring. So I’m left without a genre to read again.

As for spidercide, does he have web shooting capabilities? He’s kind of a symbiote meets mr fantastic character.
    he used webbing when he thought he was spider-man. as for whether he has the ability to create a proxy from his body like a symbiote, i guess it's possible...but he originally "died" falling from a building, so the answer seems to be no
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Eh... I don't get it, honest. I thought Jurgens was going to use the version of his costume that saw print:
    Bottom right one. It does feel like it can be particularly menacing, what with the black and white spider playing off each other remarkably well.

With this version, I honestly feel I like original Spidercide better.
    i get your point in that seems more like a classic villain suit with the colours and so on

but there's something weird and twisted about spidercide wearing something that seems more straight up heroic. like if bane put on a batman suit or something. i really like it.
    troo fan or death

As for spidercide, does he have web shooting capabilities?
    Apparently he does.

I'm not entirely sure if he used webbing in his actual Spider-Man appearances, since this is from New Warriors when it tied-in with Maximum Clonage. I get the impression he just got around using his liquid form. But it's already in print so if JDM wants to use it...

was "the secret" scrier revealed to spidercide ever explained?
    troo fan or death

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Can you imagine the craziness here if we discover in the final issue of BR:SM that Spidercide secretly took over as Ben Reilly and that all the modern appearances were really him?

No way it'll happen. But still.

-Pav, who does like the white costume on 'Cide...
    I thought of that too. I don't think it's a coincidence that the psycho reactive quantum reprogramming goo stuff that makes up Chasm's costume was introduced in the main ASM book recently.

finally got this, really enjoyed it (also picked up the last beyond issue so i can be as fair as poss in my response). hits all the points i enjoy in a ben/jdm/90s story...though i would be interested in seeing a ben tale from jmd where he doesn't deal with clones at all.

i like that, even though spidercide's reveal was reasonably obvious to anyone who read the 90s saga, the interest in the story doesn't rest on that twist. what spidercide wants, how the date murders fit into it, even the different forms spidercide seems to take for different purposes, all have question marks around them that make me want to keep reading.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    finally got this, really enjoyed it (also picked up the last beyond issue so i can be as fair as poss in my response). hits all the points i enjoy in a ben/jdm/90s story...though i would be interested in seeing a ben tale from jmd where he doesn't deal with clones at all.

i like that, even though spidercide's reveal was reasonably obvious to anyone who read the 90s saga, the interest in the story doesn't rest on that twist. what spidercide wants, how the date murders fit into it, even the different forms spidercide seems to take for different purposes, all have question marks around them that make me want to keep reading.
    Quoted for truth, boots. It'll be interesting to hear Spidercide's motives for his actions in this mini, as well as seeing what sort of shape he'll be in by the mini's close. Will JMD set him up for modern appearances? Will he be dealt with in a more definitive fashion?

Really looking forward to finding out.

I don't think so. Scrier touched Spidercide's head, and 'Cide says something like, "I finally know who I am!" But we never got any further explanation; Spidercide was dropped off a building, then Scrier was changed from a cosmic figure to a cult of impersonators working for Norman Osborn.

Maybe JMD will finally give us an answer.

-Pav, who will take all the JMD-penned Ben he can get...
    Last edited by Pav; 04-04-2022 at 12:42 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Mighty Member

I don't think so. Scrier touched Spidercide's head, and 'Cide says something like, "I finally know who I am!" But we never got any further explanation; Spidercide was dropped off a building, then Scrier was changed from a cosmic figure to a cult of impersonators working for Norman Osborn.

Maybe JMD will finally give us an answer.

-Pav, who will take all the JMD-penned Ben he can get...
    I will mock the "Mysterio hypnotized everyone" retcon machine every chance I get, but it's sitting right there to retcon (unretcon?) Scrier and Judas Traveller back to their more cosmic-y selves as part of AI Harry's plot to build up Norman only to yank it all away from him. Or something like that. We can hope for a few more JMD minis set in the Ben Reilly era that clears this all up for us
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

In my personal opinion, it doesn't even need addressing. Spidercide only ever came to be because a Scrier salvaged his remains when Kaine blew him up. So it points to him having that knowledge restored (since he wasn't exactly recognizing Scrier when they met in Jackal's lab) as well as his degeneration factor removed, I think.

Quoted for truth, boots. It'll be interesting to hear Spidercide's motives for his actions in this mini, as well as seeing what sort of shape he'll be in by the mini's close. Will JMD set him up for modern appearances? Will he be dealt with in a more definitive fashion?
    i'd be happy for spidercide to be wrapped up. i was fine with a bunch of clones running around during...well...the clone saga...but in the current timeline, i prefer just ben and kaine.

i've always thought something really interesting could be done with the character, but i don't think whatever that is has longterm value. tell his story, make a point about ben/peter through him, resolve it and put him away.

that being said, if jmd has something long-form up his sleeve, i'm open to being surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    In my personal opinion, it doesn't even need addressing. Spidercide only ever came to be because a Scrier salvaged his remains when Kaine blew him up. So it points to him having that knowledge restored (since he wasn't exactly recognizing Scrier when they met in Jackal's lab) as well as his degeneration factor removed, I think.
    yeah, i can agree it's not needed and that it works fine as is, even if it is a little hand wavey. it's the sort of moment that might be a mistake to revisit if there isn't a satisfactory answer.

i wouldn't complain about a retcon of the judas and scrier retcon.
    Last edited by boots; 04-04-2022 at 05:40 PM.
    troo fan or death

yeah, i can agree it's not needed and that it works fine as is, even if it is a little hand wavey. it's the sort of moment that might be a mistake to revisit if there isn't a satisfactory answer.
    You mentioning this reminded me the issue where we have the whole headtouch revelation was plotted by DeMatteis, so he might just go with something there alright. He used his intended cosmic version of the Scrier after his SM run on Silver Surfer.

i wouldn't complain about a retcon of the judas and scrier retcon.
    I get the impression that even DeMatteis will leave Traveller to limbo which is why he made Spidercide a whole lot more existential but I'd agree with that. No one in the creative teams wanted anything to do with Traveller anymore, and I'm not going to say he needs to be a staple Spidey rogue or anything, but it was really clear they just sweeped him under the rug even back in the day. When Glenn Greenberg confirmed in Life of Reilly he seemed to almost joke Traveller seemed like a "super powerful mutant" the 90s saw a surplus of, but nobody even knew what to do with the geezer that his take became the last word on the character... well, not a good look, in the parlance of our times.

I've finally read the all three issues at once (and re-read the first one) and... After Beyond, it's nice to see the real Ben in action. JMD really is the best, wish he could write stories for modern Ben (undoing Chasm asap).

Seeing Spidercide again was... Refreshing. I was never a fan of his design, but his origin is quite tragic and I'm interested what is going to happen next with him. I wish he could get his physique more like Ben/Peter/Kaine (and new suit obviously). His hulkish look is a big miss for me, but I understand that his "deformation" powers are easier shown when he's so big.