Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Does Anyone Feel The DCAU Is A Bit Overrated?

Don’t get me wrong, I love the DCAU, despite my issues, but I can’t stand when people say that they should’ve modeled the DCEU off what they did with the DCAU which was pretty much Batman worship fest, with a dash of Superman. The DCAU WW is terrible, and it’s Superman’s personality was never something I was a fan of and they bungled several elements from the comics like Bane, and while it’s an impactful piece of DC media that’s influence is still being felt today, I don’t think it’s the be-all-end all adaptions of the universe as many make it out to be. Please feel to tell me my opinion is wrong and I’m an idiot in the replies.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I think the DCAU is like any other successful popular thing, the more you reminisce about it, the more problems you tend to find with it. The most egregious examples to me were always "Bruce and Barbara" and "Hawkman the creepy stalker". That was absolute nonsense. But in the end it just depends on whether the positives happen to outweigh the negatives and I think to a lot of people they most certainly do.

I agree that the DCAU deserves to be lauded for what it achieved and the level of prominence it brought DC Characters and Properties, but it didn't do everything well and didn't necesarilly give every major DC character and their lore the love and attention they deserved.

But in terms of adapting for the comics to a modern, general, audience and trying to create a shared continuity of different series..I think that's an important feat, even if it became a little too Bat-Centric over time.

Oh yes. DCAU WW and Superman suck (although Superman is fine in STAS, in JL he’s terrible). The DCAU should not be what everything DC seeks to copy.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Give me a DCAU where Wonder Woman's defining personality trait isn't wanting to bang Bruce (Timm) Wayne.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Me. It's basically "Batman tells everyone else what to do" universe. Superman got nerfed. WW just drooled over him like a teenager. Flash was a clown. The best characters were the street level characters. Batman, Question, Green Arrow, Huntress, that sort of thing. My personal head canon is that BTAS is a stand alone universe and everything that came after is it's own universe. I prefer the YJ universe better as I find it more believable and it looks more like the cartoons I grew up with. At least the first couple seasons.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Me. It's basically "Batman tells everyone else what to do" universe. Superman got nerfed. WW just drooled over him like a teenager. Flash was a clown. The best characters were the street level characters. Batman, Question, Green Arrow, Huntress, that sort of thing. My personal head canon is that BTAS is a stand alone universe and everything that came after is it's own universe. I prefer the YJ universe better as I find it more believable and it looks more like the cartoons I grew up with. At least the first couple seasons.
    Even the Young Justice-verse has its issues, hence why you should never take any adaption as the be all, end all.

sometimes things sour with age, but at the time it came out it was pretty legendary.

There are certainly nitpicks or issues with certain aspects as we go back and look at them with older, seasoned more critical eyes.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even the Young Justice-verse has its issues, hence why you should never take any adaption as the be all, end all.
    Oh, I have my issues with YJ. The quality went downhill after the first season. But it still comes across as more believable in terms of the characters than DCAU.
    Assassinate Putin!

believable? eh I wouldn't go that far
    The J-man

Wasn't a big fan, although I loved Superman Animated Adventures. The animated movies now are so hit and miss as well, I don't get how they are praised.

I guess the overall stories were cool, but something just didn't feel right. Maybe it's because how they treated non-Batman/Superman villains....like a JOKE.

Remember when Batman defeated Dr. Destiny by resisting his dream powers? WTF does Bruce Timm even know who Dr. Destiny is?? It was a joke.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Overall I think it was great. Did it get every single character right? no. But the stories are still top notch imo.

But we still havent gotten much from DC that really touches it with a plethora of animated series based in the same universe.

I think the DCAU is still better than most of the comics.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think the DCAU is still better than most of the comics.
    Lol what comics have you read?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Lol what comics have you read?
    Translation: "How dare you not share my opinion!"