Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    1) Wonder Woman's portrayal in JL and JLU doesn't affect the quality of the entire DCAU as a whole and I'm still uncertain why you still choose to ignore the other 6 shows.
    This is entirely subjective. In fact it goes to the heart of the subject of the discussion- whether or not aspects of the shows were to people's dislike. It's a common complaint, so it will be discussed.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

If we want to talk about problems with other characters though, to this day we're still feeling the effects of the perception of the Flash as a silly comic relief character. I get that they went for the young and immature Wally take, but wow did they run with it. Not only was it a stretch for Wally, but it spills over into the voices that some writers create for Barry as well.

Ironically I became a lifelong Wally fan thanks to the show, so I don't hate it for that. I just wish he got to develop into an adult personality a little bit more.

Mighty Member

1) Wonder Woman's portrayal in JL and JLU doesn't affect the quality of the entire DCAU as a whole
    This claim makes no sense, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited is a major part of the DCAU and Wonder Woman a major part of these series, therefore her bad portrayal drags down the quality of the DCAU.

and I'm still uncertain why you still choose to ignore the other 6 shows.
    Because you and me just talked about Wonder Woman with each other, and there is no bad portrayed or Wonder Woman at all in the other 6 series.

2) As for my opinion, I don't think the DCAU is "over-rated" and I have no problems with it.
    Cool, i think the DCAU is partly overrated and that DCAU Wonder Woman specifically is just terrible, but agree with the user who has said that the DCEU and animated movies are worse if we compare the shared universes as a whole.

Comic books weren't that popular in the country I grew up in so these cartoons was the easiest way for children to gain access to these characters. Superman TAS was pretty good compared to the few comics I had of him. Batman Beyond and Zeta Project were nice ways to introduce new characters outside the print medium. Static Shock was a favourite especially with the Anansi episode since I knew the character from local folklore.
    I think these kind of cartoons were for most children the easiest way to experience these characters and actually their introduction to them in the first place, but that leads us back to the first point, because basically an entire generation got introduced to a Wonder Woman whose 3 major traits were that she is bland, weak, and a Batman fangirl, and that is an obvious stain on the DCAU as a whole.

I enjoyed it when I was a kid and re-watching some of it on HBO Max, I still enjoy it.
    I enjoy specifically Batman Beyond and Static Shock still a lot.

Not at all, is my answer to the topic question. For DC in moving pictures, it's the actual best we have and far superior to the unfortunate recent offerings.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    PS: Wonder Woman had 3 storylines going for her in the JL room series: 1) the ongoing feud between her and Hawkwoman 2) Her uncertainty about sticking around in Man's World and 3) her crush on Batman.

There are only about 3 episodes of JL that do anything with 3) but it's all anyone here seem to remember...
    It's not like the show does anything substantial with those other things either. Eisenberg certainly doesn't seem to talk about them and she voiced the character. It's really only the Batman stuff that gets attention from anybody, positive or negative, and not just here. Because there really is **** all else to talk about.

Her feud with Shayera manifesting as "the only two women on the team dislike each other" and it being played as Shayera calling her out as a stuck up know-it-all feminist has aged poorly. It doesn't remotely do the WW character or her themes justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    If we want to talk about problems with other characters though, to this day we're still feeling the effects of the perception of the Flash as a silly comic relief character. I get that they went for the young and immature Wally take, but wow did they run with it. Not only was it a stretch for Wally, but it spills over into the voices that some writers create for Barry as well.

Ironically I became a lifelong Wally fan thanks to the show, so I don't hate it for that. I just wish he got to develop into an adult personality a little bit more.
    I think there's a pretty clear line from the DCAU Wally to DCEU Barry in terms of being the designated "funny one" (results may vary in the latter case). Though I guess speedster types being characterized as comedic does exist beyond just DCAU Flash.

Just a heads up folks - one character or ten characters, it doesn't matter. So long as that character appeared in the DCAU and affected people's opinions of it, it's appropriate to this thread.

So let's stop debating that particular point and move on with the conversation, please.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Fantastic Member

Honestly, STAS was a pretty overrated show. The Apokolips arc and certain characters were remarkable, but on average, the show wasn't all that exciting to watch for me.

Superman himself was pretty dull, which has been a consistent problem with Post-Reeve adaptions of the character.

The nadir of DCAU Superman was JL Season 1, but honestly, the character wasn't all that great beforehand.

Superman becomes more interesting from JL Season 2 onward, but still...I wouldn't say this is the best version of Superman.

I agree completely. I loved the sillier stories like Mister Mxyzptlk and Bizarro, and the Kent Farm scenes are heart warming (specially the christmas episode with Martian Manhunter), but as a kid Justice League was one of the reason why I thought Superman was uninteresting. As you can see, my opinion has changed after seeing other adaptations and comics

Mighty Member

I agree too, i don't think DCAU Superman was ever as bad as DCAU Wonder Woman, but at least in season 1 of Justice League are bland and weak 2 of his major traits as well and i can totally see why people think Superman is uninteressting if they just know his DCAU iteration in general.

Personally, I never understood exactly what people's issues with DCAU Superman were.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

DCAU Superman got treated in JL/JLU the same way he got treated in the comics: he's either jobbing or punching stuff. He still had major stories like the Brainiac/Darkseid team-up, getting sent to the future and Justice Lords.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, I love the DCAU, despite my issues, but I can’t stand when people say that they should’ve modeled the DCEU off what they did with the DCAU which was pretty much Batman worship fest, with a dash of Superman. The DCAU WW is terrible, and it’s Superman’s personality was never something I was a fan of and they bungled several elements from the comics like Bane, and while it’s an impactful piece of DC media that’s influence is still being felt today, I don’t think it’s the be-all-end all adaptions of the universe as many make it out to be. Please feel to tell me my opinion is wrong and I’m an idiot in the replies.
    I don’t think it’s overrated. But I think it’s time to move on from it as an influence over other media. It’s time has come and gone.

(However, can we please get a comics version of Volcana first? Pretty please??)

Extraordinary Member

DCAU Superman got treated in JL/JLU the same way he got treated in the comics: he's either jobbing or punching stuff. He still had major stories like the Brainiac/Darkseid team-up, getting sent to the future and Justice Lords.
    While I did enjoy STAS, the most interesting parts of that show was how they reimagined certain villains and the performances of the voice actors (Lex, Brainiac, but especially Mxyptlk, Toyman, and Darkseid).

And yes, I absolutely agree that Superman got jobbed more than just about any other hero in the DCAU up until the final episode (where he still got jobbed at the very end). I mean, I get that they didn't want to over power him because otherwise the show would be over in three minutes, but also don't just use him to make the other guys look more useful or show just how tough the bad guy is.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

While I did enjoy STAS, the most interesting parts of that show was how they reimagined certain villains and the performances of the voice actors (Lex, Brainiac, but especially Mxyptlk, Toyman, and Darkseid).
    That is true, even in his own series was DCAU Superman sadly not 1 of the most interessting iterations of him.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    And yes, I absolutely agree that Superman got jobbed more than just about any other hero in the DCAU up until the final episode (where he still got jobbed at the very end). .
    Just if we assume that DCAU Wonder Woman was truly so bad that we need to pretend that she don't even exists.

I mean, I get that they didn't want to over power him because otherwise the show would be over in three minutes
    I never understood that argument, just make the villains strong enough, or the problems big enough.

but also don't just use him to make the other guys look more useful or show just how tough the bad guy is.
    That is impossible in a series that in a way tried to show that Batman is the most best and most badass hero ever.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 03-29-2022 at 10:45 AM.