Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Pretty spot on. I will add that Batman Beyond showed that you could have a successor to Batman permanently replace Bruce Wayne and make it work.
    I mean I would say the reason he worked is functionally he didn't permanently replace Bruce or even threaten to. Terry is in a nebulous 'future.' At no point did people think they would stop telling stories about Bruce as Batman. He's closer to an Elesworld or a self-contained spin-off than a functional replacemtnet.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    I mean I would say the reason he worked is functionally he didn't permanently replace Bruce or even threaten to. Terry is in a nebulous 'future.' At no point did people think they would stop telling stories about Bruce as Batman. He's closer to an Elesworld or a self-contained spin-off than a functional replacemtnet.
    It wasn't self-contained though. He showed up in JLU and it was revealed that he was a clone of Bruce. I didn't like that retcon because his original origin was good enough but they all but confirmed that he was Bruce's successor. There was also that one series of episodes where they go after that one time traveler. I think he showed up with the future JL with older Static, Kai-ro, and Hawkgirl+John Stewart's kid.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It really felt like they were throwing a bunch of random celebrity cameos into the later seasons of Static.
    Yeah,I guess the shows later seasons weren't doing so ratings wise and that was there attempt that fixing that.

Speaking about show that could have used more love.I remember how disappointed I was that the Zeta Project was so short.The show was my jam as a kid.Deserved more time that it got.Maybe someone will reboot it one of these days.
    Last edited by Baseman; 04-01-2022 at 06:30 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    It wasn't self-contained though. He showed up in JLU and it was revealed that he was a clone of Bruce.
    Yeah in an episode where they go to said nebulous future. A future they never suggested the other material would ever reach. He was never "replacing" Bruce from the point of view of people watching the series. Bruce was still going to be there as Batman in 99% of all shows with Batman. That is not a permanent replacment.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Yeah in an episode where they go to said nebulous future. A future they never suggested the other material would ever reach. He was never "replacing" Bruce from the point of view of people watching the series. Bruce was still going to be there as Batman in 99% of all shows with Batman. That is not a permanent replacment.
    No replacement in "present" day but he was permanently replaced in Batman Beyond. It happened and ran for 3 seasons.

But I am always sad that they never got a Justice League Beyond spin off. The DCAU is old but it can be dusted off because it has A LOT more stories it can tell. Both in present day and future.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    No replacement in "present" day but he was permanently replaced in Batman Beyond. It happened and ran for 3 seasons.

But I am always sad that they never got a Justice League Beyond spin off. The DCAU is old but it can be dusted off because it has A LOT more stories it can tell. Both in present day and future.
    Well yes. But in a distinct show is very different than say replacing Bruce permanently in all stories moving forward. He was done in a way that fans of Bruce aren't having him well... replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    And that's why it was a poor representation of the character, who is both blackmailed by the US government (particularly General Eiling) into doing their bidding and who has plenty of rebellious moments against them to do the right thing. Also, while I don't think it came from there, it populated having Captain Atom as an energy being only held together by some inflatable suit. Normally, he's a mortal being who gains his powers from the metal shell he can summon at will.
    Ah, yeah, that sounds like they screwed it up with him, which sucks.

What run you're talking about that uses him and Eiling better?

Circe's only had, like, two media appearances. I thought Justice League Action used her well (Laura Post is awesome).
    I was surprised that they let Circe completely dominate Luthor in Justice League Action lol.

Am I wrong in thinking Terry's been published more consistently than Miguel has what with the Future's End/Rebirth run? And he's getting a new comic.
    Miguel Got that run where he's in the present post Superior, didn't that last longer than Terry's comics?

Though Terry does have more recent stuff, and he had tie-in comics to his own cartoon too (Even had the whole "Beyond" future, though what I saw wasn't really impressive).

It really felt like they were throwing a bunch of random celebrity cameos into the later seasons of Static.
    Like when they had Beyoncé fighting Terry? .

On the other hand, it's also a good thing DCAU ended in a high note, 'cause dropping quality can happen in rather drastic ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I was surprised that they let Circe completely dominate Luthor in Justice League Action lol.
    And she was actually going to help him if Lex wasn't such an egomaniac backstabber. Villain relationships are hard.
    Miguel Got that run where he's in the present post Superior, didn't that last longer than Terry's comics?
    Maybe collectively Miguel has more, counting all his runs, but I feel like it's close.
    Like when they had Beyoncé fighting Terry? .
    ...Did that happen?
    On the other hand, it's also a good thing DCAU ended in a high note, 'cause dropping quality can happen in rather drastic ways.
    (Cough)Batman: The Adventure Continues(Cough).

And she was actually going to help him if Lex wasn't such an egomaniac backstabber. Villain relationships are hard.
    Makes you wonder how any version of Legion of Doom/Injustice League/Secret Society can even function lol.

...Did that happen?

(Cough)Batman: The Adventure Continues(Cough).
    I wasn't even aware of that lol.

There was also Justice League Beyond as another tie-in comic, which, while I can't speak for the writing quality of the rest of the comic, the Justice Lords returning arc was just wack, it made Lord Supes into a bad version of Injustice Supes, who was already a bad version of Lord Supes himself, and besides that the arc itself was boring too.

I'm 100% sure Wonder Woman fans would be glad to know that Diana went to the Lord universe and started a romantic relationship with its Batman, and that Lady Diana started one with that Supes too.

Only thing I remember thinking was cool from that comic is that the reason Lady Diana lacks the lasso of truth is that the one using it has to be worthy of it, but they revealed that by having Diana kill Lady Diana, which then the lasso desintegrated, so yeah, that sucked.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 04-01-2022 at 09:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I'm 100% sure Wonder Woman fans would be glad to know that Diana went to the Lord universe and started a romantic relationship with its Batman, and that Lady Diana started one with that Supes too.

Only thing I remember thinking was cool from that comic is that the reason Lady Diana lacks the lasso of truth is that the one using it has to be worthy of it, but they revealed that by having Diana kill Lady Diana, which then the lasso desintegrated, so yeah, that sucked.
    Oh, that one's actually worse than you might think. Even I thought it was a bullshit fate for the character at a time where I didn't really care about the character.

Wonder Woman has to marry evil Superman for the sake of a truce and she enters a sham marriage with him that also includes creating a son (using genetic engineering) who ultimately ends up hating her at the end of the story. Also, Wonder Woman loses the Lasso of Truth because she killed Lord Wonder Woman for killing Lord Batman which means she's no longer worthy of wielding it so it self-destructs.

I don't think it had specifically to do with their lack of feelings towards Wonder Woman because, well, a fair number of their ideas were terrible to characters: *Terry's actually Bruce's son! **Vixen gets murdered by the Shadow Thief so John and Shayera can get back together! ***Superman has a son by Lashina who turns into a despotic ruler and Superman feels guilty for not raising him!

*Stupid in every conceivable way with a heaping helping of pointless.
    ** It's calld "things not working out and two people still fond of each other getting back together" It's a thing, writers. You don't need to murder female hero, let alone in such an insulting way, for your ship to get back together (and I loved Shayera and John Stewart as a couple) Couldn't even have Vixen die in a heroic one-shot story of her own. No, she just stabbed in the back on a date with John.
    *** Not his fault, not his fault and not his fault (and rape considering he was brainwashed) That one never made it into canon, but it's still a bad idea.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 04-01-2022 at 11:34 PM.

I liked Static Shock and still do.

They've tried reviving the DCAU before in comic form and the results have been mixed at best. It's better to let it end with dignity.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I think (and I am assuming) a lot of the posts here poo pooing the DCAU grew up in a time with complete comic multimedia saturation.

There are so many animated series, movies, games, television shows, that a comic fan is spoiled with riches; but when the DCAU first came out there was nothing and it was a godsend.

Not only that but back then WB didn't want two versions of the same character on different shows (so ironic now), for example the majority of the bat-family and bat villains got benched because they were being used on The Batman. So the production team had to really think outside the box and that's why we were able to get such a diverse group of heroes and villains.

I think it all depends on perspective if something is "overrated" or not.

Only if the quality stays up.

Adam Beechen's Batman Beyond mini series missed the whole point of the show. Then Kyle Higgin's Batman Beyond run damn near tainted the brand with the terrible storyline about Bruce impregnating Babs. Bruce Timm including Bruce/Babs in that terrible TKJ adaptation didn't help matters but Higgins added fuel to the fire. Most Batman Beyond writers keep missing the point by bringing back old Bat Rogues or bringing up old Bat Family soap opera. The show wasn't about Bruce or the Bat Family, the show is about Terry and his struggles in a new Gotham, facing new Rogues with new supporting. Sure, Joker and Mr Freeze may pop up but the series isn't about them and even if it's meant to serve Terry's character development.

I'm fine with something like 'Batman: The Adventure Continues' and 'Justice League Infinite' since its been done by the original creators who clearly have more stories to tell. But if anyone else wants to tell DCAU stories it better be someone who understands the universe or somebody who worked on the original shows.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Incredible Member

Personally, while I liked Batman Beyond, I was never a fan of most of the old character's fates as their "main" endings. Most of them felt a little too pessimistic for my taste.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I liked Static Shock and still do.

They've tried reviving the DCAU before in comic form and the results have been mixed at best. It's better to let it end with dignity.
    Revivinv it in comic form doesn't count for me. If it isn't animated, it dont count.