Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I don’t think it’s the natural result of “putting characters together” - most other creators don’t go quite so far into “Batman must be a privileged dick to stand out among the other heroes” as Timm could shove him, and I’d note that Timm was also doing that in TNBAS more so than he would later, which says something.

Really, “Batman can be a dick and get all the girls” is just the equivalent of “Tony Stark can be a dick who creates half the baddies and still be viewed as a father figure” in the MCU; it’s a formula that appeals to the creators and they just don’t stop running with it. The difference is that DCAU Batman had a contrasting start that was just as if not more successful with the larger audience in BTAS, and that DCAU Batman doesn’t get either Superman or Wonder Woman elevated to a Captain America level of a contrasting paragon who can highlight how he can be part of the problem, like Tony had.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, I don’t think it’s the natural result of “putting characters together” - most other creators don’t go quite so far into “Batman must be a privileged dick to stand out among the other heroes” as Timm could shove him, and I’d note that Timm was also doing that in TNBAS more so than he would later, which says something.

Really, “Batman can be a dick and get all the girls” is just the equivalent of “Tony Stark can be a dick who creates half the baddies and still be viewed as a father figure” in the MCU; it’s a formula that appeals to the creators and they just don’t stop running with it. The difference is that DCAU Batman had a contrasting start that was just as if not more successful with the larger audience in BTAS, and that DCAU Batman doesn’t get either Superman or Wonder Woman elevated to a Captain America level of a contrasting paragon who can highlight how he can be part of the problem, like Tony had.
    While creator's having "pets" is undoubtedly a part of the reason, we can't forget that part of the reason these movies and tv eries do what they is because what they do sells. Iron Man was arguably the most popular character of the MCU and his movies were the only ones rivaling team ventures like Avengers. Similarily, BTAS and TNBA scored higher than STAS (even though personally I found them weaker overall, I know, blasphemy). It's of course a bit of chicken-and-egg situation, in that you could argue that these characters are popular because creators invest more effort in them, but I never had the feeling Captain America ever rivaled Iron Man in terms of popularity (even though his movies were arguably better constcuted, then again, one of them had Iron Man as well).

Amazing Member

About the whole Wonder Woman Batman thing. I have seen a lot of individuals on the net and in real life who ship those two together. Who don't like the whole Wonder Woman getting with superman. That Wonder Woman should have gotten with Batman that those 2 are perfect for each other.

I never seen the BTAS series but did watch The Batman series in 2004 which is a favorite of mine

I did like DCAU like the justice lords and a few of the other stories that they had and I don't think it was over rated.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by IonRyner View Post
    About the whole Wonder Woman Batman thing. I have seen a lot of individuals on the net and in real life who ship those two together. Who don't like the whole Wonder Woman getting with superman. That Wonder Woman should have gotten with Batman that those 2 are perfect for each other.
    I beg your pardon but... So?

Nobody was claiming that fans of the "WonderBat" pairing don't exist. We know they exist (I've seen some of their fanfictions while browsing) and of course they're entitled to their opinion.

(Personally I despise both "WonderBat" and Superman/Wonder Woman, but that's just my opinion.)

I apologise if I sound like a ***** but what exactly is your point?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I beg your pardon but... So?

Nobody was claiming that fans of the "WonderBat" pairing don't exist. We know they exist (I've seen some of their fanfictions while browsing) and of course they're entitled to their opinion.

(Personally I despise both "WonderBat" and Superman/Wonder Woman, but that's just my opinion.)

I apologise if I sound like a ***** but what exactly is your point?
    Yep. it's something that has to be acknowledged, even if some of us don't like it and can spew out any number of reasons for why we think it doesn't work.

It even made it into the DCEU. And tbf, whatever else we can say about those films, their dynamic came across a bit better there IMO than in the DCAU. But I'm still thankful that the combo of Affleck exiting and the popularity of Diana/Steve from at least the first film torpedoed it. Plus, WW84 did not go over well but even from that mediocre movie, we got inspirations for a lot of Diana/Barbara fanfics.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

It even made it into the DCEU. And tbf, whatever else we can say about those films, their dynamic came across a bit better there IMO than in the DCAU. But I'm still thankful that the combo of Affleck exiting and the popularity of Diana/Steve from at least the first film torpedoed it. Plus, WW84 did not go over well but even from that mediocre movie, we got inspirations for a lot of Diana/Barbara fanfics.
    That is good.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    The comic run by Cary Bates and Pat Broderick that spanned from the late 1980s to the early 90s. It was the one that introduced the silver-covered version we all know today.
    Thanks, will check it out.

Yeah, Batman: The Adventures Continue is all over the place, but Justice League Infinity was a pleasant surprise. A worthy continuation to JLU, I think.
    Oh that's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's a weird continuity hole. It's, from a real world perspective, temporary continuity, BUT, in the moment.. it was current and THE future. Even Kingdom Come treated it as THE future.
    It matters little if that future is the absolute one or not, it's just dumb for her to abandon everything for a guy she just met.

Yeah, Waller is pretty inscrutable though, so it's not always clear what she's even talking about.
    I found her to be pretty clear in general in JLU lol.

Though her actions in Batman Beyond 2.0, I don't really remember why she hired Andrea, I just found it weird she was talking like she was still pushing the Batman Beyond project.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    There is one guy channel "Justice League" where he uploads various clips from the 'Justice League cartoon' and he always like to put inappropriate thumbnails in the video.

Attachment 119931
    Man that's on the guy for being a shitty click baiter, Diana could be the best written character in the show, youtubers like this would still use her as clickbait.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    So what did people think of Static Shock? I enjoyed the first three seasons but thought the stuff with the Hoop Force was pretty corny. Also felt it was a shame that due to the Y7 rating they had to tone down some of the themes from the original comic but when I first saw the show I didn't know that. The DC crossover episodes were okay but kinda underwhelming from what I remember.
    I honestly can't remember who Hoop Force was. I remember Rubber-Band Man, Ebon, Hotstreak, Anansi and SOUL POWER!

Speaking of Static, he's barely in Young Justice now and Rocket's on the title screen but she hasn't showed up. I feel robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Considering its main competition is the disastrous DCEU, the Arrowverse, and that shared continuity of animated films that ranged from mediocre to terrible, I'd say no, the DCAU is definitely not overrated. I don't think anything is ever truly overrated anyways, its all subjective. I just know that it introduced and endeared my generation to the wider DC universe, and I never would have become a fan without those cartoons.
    Preach.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Honestly don't get the hype. The Brave and the Bold is the only one that stands up on rewatch. Every other show I gave up. Losing interest very early. Except for Batman The Brave and the bold. Might be because it's a comedy.

Fantastic Member

Brave and The Bold....one of the few times where modern cartoon Superman felt like Batman's equal.

BANNED

I have seen only valid complains with DCAU Wonder Woman. Other than that every character had it's moments. I really like these version of Superman more than most of the books especially the Alan Moore episode. That was iconic and even Alan Moore who has been critical about other adaptations has praised. Luthor was also exceptional throughout DCAU. John Stewart was also standout

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It's quite good, though missing quite a few elements of pre-1986 DC. It is very much a creature of 1986-early 2000s DC.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I found her to be pretty clear in general in JLU lol.
    Well she definitely wanted people to think her motives were openly displayed. But that didn't mean you knew what her plans were.
    Though her actions in Batman Beyond 2.0, I don't really remember why she hired Andrea, I just found it weird she was talking like she was still pushing the Batman Beyond project.
    Well, yeah, I think even Waller questioned that TBH.

As for Supergirl... the idea is really weird, but... it's what the writers did.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Speaking of Static, he's barely in Young Justice now and Rocket's on the title screen but she hasn't showed up. I feel robbed.
    YJ right now is doing arcs around the characters in the title screen, Rocket likely will get her's later.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    Brave and The Bold....one of the few times where modern cartoon Superman felt like Batman's equal.
    In Batman's own cartoon even.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, yeah, I think even Waller questioned that TBH.
    I don't remember it being questioned by either Waller herself or Andrea, but who knows, I might've missed it.

As for Supergirl... the idea is really weird, but... it's what the writers did.
    It is, and I think it sucked, which was my point, DCAU, had a lot of good stuff, but there was also pretty bad stuff, and Supergirl doing a speedrun in falling in love with Brainiac 5 is one of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Supergirls final arc was definitely RUSHED. For some reason they just wanted to get her out of there which didnt make sense. But it was like they gave her a bit of a personality shift after she got her new costume and treated her like Kara Zor-El instead of Kara In-Ze.