Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should Magneto’s Clone Joseph Be Resurrected?

I stumbled upon this article today and thought it might prompt an interesting discussion.

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-hypocrites...h-magneto/amp/

Not Reviving Magneto's Controversial Clone Makes The X-Men Hypocrites

The X-Men and the Five need to resurrect Magneto's clone Joseph -- and if they refuse to do so, it undercuts the ideals of the mutant nation.

The X-Men are currently in a transitional period, with the events of Inferno splintering the views of Krakoa and opening up a bright and complicated future for the mutant race. This extends to the kind of characters who can now be revived -- including clones, setting up the potential return of one notably controversial mutant.

Joseph, the powerful but conflicted clone of Magneto, was killed shortly before the formation of Krakoa. Given recent events on the island nation, he's perfectly poised to be resurrected and if the Quiet Council or the Five refuses, it'll highlight the increasing hypocrisy of the mutant government.

Joseph was a clone of Magneto, created in the aftermath of Avalon's destruction. Introduced in X-Men #46 by Scott Lobdell and Roger Cruz, the clone was initially intended to fully replace Magneto and was granted full access to his titanic Omega-Level control over magnetism. Left amnesic and unclear of his purpose, Joseph was actually suspected to be a de-aged Magneto for a time, given a new lease on life and the chance to make up for the Master of Magnetism's previous actions. This new Magneto eventually joined the ranks of the X-Men, even forming a romantic attachment to Rogue. However, after Magneto's formal return, Joseph was killed stopping his plans for the world. Joseph would eventually be revived and embrace his villainous potential, forming a new clone version of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Joseph returned in the lead-up to the modern era, confronting Cyclops and his renegade X-Men in a philosophical battle before being beheaded by Kwannon. Despite his messy history, Joseph did want to be a hero at various points and his powers made him a valuable member of the X-Men. When Krakoa was formed, and resurrection established for the mutant nation, Joseph would have made sense as an early resurrection. But at first, Krakoa had a strict rule forbidding the resurrection of clones, variants, or other similar off-shoots. This seemed to extend to Joseph, who had not been restored by the resurrection capabilities of the Five. This left Joseph to be a complicated footnote in the overall history of the X-Men.

However, things on Krakoa are always changing, and developments in New Mutants resulted in the Five changing their conditions for resurrection. Rebelling against the Quiet Council's earlier edicts, the Five have made a point of making clones acceptable to resurrect, and have so far even revived villains like Madelyne Pryor over previous objections. If the Goblyn Queen who almost slaughtered her own infant son is able to be revived and given another chance then Joseph should be considered for a similar return. His power set makes him a potential game-changer in combat, which, given the mechanical and cybernetic nature of enemies like Nimrod, would make him a vital power player in any major conflicts.

Joseph's status as a former X-Man should also make him an obvious choice for resurrection, as his experience with the team could make him a valuable asset. He's exactly the kind of malleable powerhouse someone like Bishop could utilize as Great Captain of Krakoa. Joseph's past crimes are problematic, but Krakoa has been somewhat focused on proving how even the greatest mutant villains can earn their redemption. If the Shadow King, Apocalypse, and Gorgon can find redemption on Krakoa, then someone like Joseph should be able to as well.

But the Five and the Quiet Council haven't yet made a move to restore Joseph. If Joseph is ignored by the Five in the future, it could be seen as a major moment of hypocrisy for the group -- who've otherwise dedicated themselves to restoring mutants regardless of their past crimes. There's no reason to exclude Joseph from this future for all mutants, especially when other equally dangerous forces have been given a second chance. Joseph should make his return and could become an important figure going forward if the X-Men choose to do so.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I stumbled upon this article today and thought it might prompt an interesting discussion.

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-hypocrites...h-magneto/amp/

Not Reviving Magneto's Controversial Clone Makes The X-Men Hypocrites

The X-Men and the Five need to resurrect Magneto's clone Joseph -- and if they refuse to do so, it undercuts the ideals of the mutant nation.

The X-Men are currently in a transitional period, with the events of Inferno splintering the views of Krakoa and opening up a bright and complicated future for the mutant race. This extends to the kind of characters who can now be revived -- including clones, setting up the potential return of one notably controversial mutant.

Joseph, the powerful but conflicted clone of Magneto, was killed shortly before the formation of Krakoa. Given recent events on the island nation, he's perfectly poised to be resurrected and if the Quiet Council or the Five refuses, it'll highlight the increasing hypocrisy of the mutant government.

Joseph was a clone of Magneto, created in the aftermath of Avalon's destruction. Introduced in X-Men #46 by Scott Lobdell and Roger Cruz, the clone was initially intended to fully replace Magneto and was granted full access to his titanic Omega-Level control over magnetism. Left amnesic and unclear of his purpose, Joseph was actually suspected to be a de-aged Magneto for a time, given a new lease on life and the chance to make up for the Master of Magnetism's previous actions. This new Magneto eventually joined the ranks of the X-Men, even forming a romantic attachment to Rogue. However, after Magneto's formal return, Joseph was killed stopping his plans for the world. Joseph would eventually be revived and embrace his villainous potential, forming a new clone version of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Joseph returned in the lead-up to the modern era, confronting Cyclops and his renegade X-Men in a philosophical battle before being beheaded by Kwannon. Despite his messy history, Joseph did want to be a hero at various points and his powers made him a valuable member of the X-Men. When Krakoa was formed, and resurrection established for the mutant nation, Joseph would have made sense as an early resurrection. But at first, Krakoa had a strict rule forbidding the resurrection of clones, variants, or other similar off-shoots. This seemed to extend to Joseph, who had not been restored by the resurrection capabilities of the Five. This left Joseph to be a complicated footnote in the overall history of the X-Men.

However, things on Krakoa are always changing, and developments in New Mutants resulted in the Five changing their conditions for resurrection. Rebelling against the Quiet Council's earlier edicts, the Five have made a point of making clones acceptable to resurrect, and have so far even revived villains like Madelyne Pryor over previous objections. If the Goblyn Queen who almost slaughtered her own infant son is able to be revived and given another chance then Joseph should be considered for a similar return. His power set makes him a potential game-changer in combat, which, given the mechanical and cybernetic nature of enemies like Nimrod, would make him a vital power player in any major conflicts.

Joseph's status as a former X-Man should also make him an obvious choice for resurrection, as his experience with the team could make him a valuable asset. He's exactly the kind of malleable powerhouse someone like Bishop could utilize as Great Captain of Krakoa. Joseph's past crimes are problematic, but Krakoa has been somewhat focused on proving how even the greatest mutant villains can earn their redemption. If the Shadow King, Apocalypse, and Gorgon can find redemption on Krakoa, then someone like Joseph should be able to as well.

But the Five and the Quiet Council haven't yet made a move to restore Joseph. If Joseph is ignored by the Five in the future, it could be seen as a major moment of hypocrisy for the group -- who've otherwise dedicated themselves to restoring mutants regardless of their past crimes. There's no reason to exclude Joseph from this future for all mutants, especially when other equally dangerous forces have been given a second chance. Joseph should make his return and could become an important figure going forward if the X-Men choose to do so.
    Should the authors revive Joseph? They need first to remind Joseph has existed…

Poor Joseph, the clone of a fictive character… Useful a while then discarded like Maddie. Clones life is not easy in X-books…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Should the authors revive Joseph? They need first to remind Joseph has existed…

Poor Joseph, the clone of a fictive character… Useful a while then discarded like Maddie. Clones life is not easy in X-books…
    I think Wolverine and Emma Frost clones seem to have a good time...

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Lol it took me 1 minute to figure out the meaning of your comment, I’m getting dense
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Lol it took me 1 minute to figure out the meaning of your comment, I’m getting dense
    sorry, maybe also my crappy English...

sorry, maybe also my crappy English...
    No no it’s my fault I always forget about x-23 and the cuckoos existence when they are not on a comic I’m directly looking at
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

I think we tend to forget these are clones when they have good time and don’t lament about being clones…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

No man, Joseph is one of the worst x characters created.

Ultimate Member

They should but won't.

He'd be a great foil to Maggy, it'd be nice to have a character with character relationships that weren't established in the freakin' 80s or are fan favorites and it would allow the X-Men to maintain some moral high ground, not punishing innocent victims for the manner in which they were born.

But they won't, and no one will call them out on it.

No. Mullet pony tails should never be tolerated.

Joseph not being back doesnt make them hypocrites

With Magneto's powers messing up, they could use a replacement in case of an emergency. But there's nothing stopping them from bringing him back, and it'd only be a benefit to them. So I just assumed he's been revived and he's just in the background.

Or the Five could do something more productive with their time, like creating Hellion clones. If they want to make more mutants, you'd need help from the ultimate ladies man. Most women wouldn't want Magneto's wrinkly magnetic polarity, so it's not like Joseph can do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Joseph not being back doesnt make them hypocrites
    "You shouldn't hate and discriminate against people because of how they were born! All mutants, even the most heinous are victims of discrimination and thus deserve amnesty in this new era. Even rapist cannibals like Sabretooth."

"So...you gonna bring back Joe? He only died because Magneto threatened to destroy the world."

"Oh, screw him, dirty clone."

Yes, yes it does.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    "You shouldn't hate and discriminate against people because of how they were born! All mutants, even the most heinous are victims of discrimination and thus deserve amnesty in this new era. Even rapist cannibals like Sabretooth."

"So...you gonna bring back Joe? He only died because Magneto threatened to destroy the world."

"Oh, screw him, dirty clone."

Yes, yes it does.
    No it doesn't, because that scene literally hasn't been written and can't be assumed to exist just because we haven't see Joseph brought back on the page. There's literally still a resurrection QUEUE. There are millions of mutants the Five haven't gotten to yet, and the hypocrisy would be if even after making exceptions for Gabby and Madelyne Pryor the Council or the Five decided that Joseph absolutely would NOT be resurrected no matter what. But there's nothing saying where he falls in their queue, especially when the likeliest reason for this not coming up is none of the writers are currently interested in writing Joseph or his return.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

No, thank you. Maybe if a writer put in a lot of work to establish him as unique from Mags, but at that point you might as well just make a new character.

Joseph isn't quite like the other clones who are around Krakoa because when he first appeared it was always assumed he was an amnesiac Magneto. He was never thought to be a different person like Maddie or the Cuckoos, and he isn't genetically different from the original character like Laura is from Logan. He was never written with a distinct personality that would justify defining him as an unique individual separate from Magneto. Of course, I could just be rationalizing this because I hated the character, ymmv.