Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Which Writers 'Get' Steve Trevor?

Which Wonder Woman writers write the best Steve Trevor?

I quite enjoyed Rucka's interpretation of the Stu 52 try hard Steve Trevor. He comes across as more dimensional and more natural rather than forced

Marston and Rucka probably.

People behind the '17 movie also.

Yeah, the first film and Marston pretty much.

Marston made him a charmer who kept taking Diana out on dates to the zoo or dancing or visiting the museum. He would go off with her on adventures and wasn't afraid to show him being human as he gets hospitalized time and time again. On top of that this was the Steve Trevor who could cook! Was good at cleaning. Was good with kids be it babysitting for his sister, leading a boyscout troop, or coaching a junior baseball team. He was top tier stay at home dad material.

And the movie....Geeze that was a startling amount of charisma and suave. Really sold him as a charming spy and rogue. Pulled off what post crisis and new 52 utterly failed to achieve and make Steve come off as a cool spy guy. Though it helped that it leaned into a jovial good humor that showed he wasn't one of those 'full of confidence actually knows what hes doing' types

Shout out to de Liz’s take on Steve in Legend of. An appealing, not-macho Steve.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Greg Rucka did it best.

There isn't much to get, with Col. Steve, really. He's got the same problem, Diana has, when you look at it?

What does Steve Trevor want? What, besides his 'angel', ..is important to him? What, besides the pursuit of gentler peroxide (Honey Woodsman), is the recurring motivation, shaping his on-going narrative? Who is Steve Trevor, ..and is that even his real name?

I think Greg Rucka's story arc kept Steve focused on specific tasks...jobs. Rucka, Dr. Marston and a few other writers kept him busy; I think Team Amazon understands that about making Steve work, ..and this chronically blank-slate character needs that.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Only Greg Rucka

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Idk which one is best but I like Rucka and de Liz year one Trevor because he's really cute there
    Marston version seems to be the classic confident man

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

The writers that had Steve and his team capture Furies all by themselves without casualties, as far as I know. That is the writer we need for Steve.

Sarcasm for those wondering.

Extraordinary Member

Everyone responsible for the portrayal of the character in the first WW movie.

That's it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The first WW film was great at showcasing/portraying Steve, but I also feel that Chris Pine embodying him did a lot of the heavy lifting in regard to making audiences love him. I mean, who would NOT fall in love with Pine's Steve (or with Gadot's WW for that matter)? If there was an Oscar for casting, I'd definitely nominate 2017's Wonder Woman.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Mel Dyer really got it right, but I'll add the main thing we need to realize about Steve Trevor is he was a vehicle for Marston to espouse his philosophy. Steve was always meant to represent everything wrong with men that a woman can fix. As Marston really got into his stories, Steve went from just being a damsel in distress to being a damsel in distress that'll shoot first, because Diana had to tell him it's wrong to kill.

Fuzzy Mittens also bring up some good points about Steve. I wonder if these were things he did as a father to his kids? Steve Trevor does resemble Marston in a way.
    But, yeah. Steve is a blank-slate character with little to no personality, like Barry and Hal (pre-crisis or post-crisis for some). He really works best with someone else more dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Mel Dyer really got it right, but I'll add the main thing we need to realize about Steve Trevor is he was a vehicle for Marston to espouse his philosophy. Steve was always meant to represent everything wrong with men that a woman can fix. As Marston really got into his stories, Steve went from just being a damsel in distress to being a damsel in distress that'll shoot first, because Diana had to tell him it's wrong to kill.

Fuzzy Mittens also bring up some good points about Steve. I wonder if these were things he did as a father to his kids? Steve Trevor does resemble Marston in a way.
    But, yeah. Steve is a blank-slate character with little to no personality, like Barry and Hal (pre-crisis or post-crisis for some). He really works best with someone else more dynamic.
    Thank you, DA Bell.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Thank you, DA Bell.
    Welcome! (10char)