Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    I don't get the people judging whether Jada should have found the joke offensive or not. That's nobody's business. The joke was aimed at her. It's entirely her prerogative alone to decide whether to find the joke offensive or not. It's Will's response to the joke that we should all agree was entirely unacceptable. But whether the joke was acceptable is up to Jada.
    Agreed and if Jada and Will (who is a comedian in his own right) would have responded with heckling, I'd been in there corner.

They didn't so I'm not.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    I don't get the people judging whether Jada should have found the joke offensive or not. That's nobody's business. The joke was aimed at her. It's entirely her prerogative alone to decide whether to find the joke offensive or not. It's Will's response to the joke that we should all agree was entirely unacceptable. But whether the joke was acceptable is up to Jada.
    This has been the weirdest part of people's over reaction to the incident that I have seen as well. I don't understand why any criticism of Jada comes up at all in this whole situation. It was a joke at her expense. There has been nothing to suggest she told or otherwise indicated for Will to get up and commit assault.

Like you said, it is completely up to the victim or object of the joke to be offended or not. No one else. It is the risk you take when making a "joke" at someone's physical appearance. Their weight, their height, their freckles, skin discolorations, whatever it is you haven't lived their life. Everyone has something they are sensitive about, whether they are rich or poor. Now of course other people don't have to care about that or have empathy with them. But, no one else gets to dictate how upset they can be getting needled about these things. Especially in public.

Even if people don't care how it effected her. What did she actually do then and till now to be criticized at all?

Spectacular Member

Not get into a direct discussion about the slap itself, but the reaction from comedians is a little ironic. Maybe I’m projecting, but they seem to be jumping on the “collective victim” card pretty hard when a lot of their acts have been about taking the piss out of this same victim mentality. I’m hearing things like “some comedian is going to get killed because of what Will Smith did.” “Do I have to worry about getting attacked after a show because of something I said?” “Will people applaud the next guy that slaps a comic?”

I can see strongly supporting Chris Rock, but making it about comedians and stand up in general is really just making it about them - the sort of self-centered point of view they often use to make fun of other people and especially other celebrities.

I’m not really on board with the idea this necessarily means anything for all stand-up acts going forward except maybe in the sense of a self-fulfilling prophecy. However, if I was a struggling stand up comic looking for some free P.R.. I’d Jussie Smollet this situation and get a couple friends to punch me in my next show. I’m almost certain the news media has its people out there looking for the next violent altercation at a comedy venue.

Forget comedy venues. They're probably taking bets on who will slap someone on tomorrow night's Grammys. That said, I had a thought last night: how differently would we be talking about this if Jada had been the one to walk up to Chris Rock and slap him across the face? Just asking.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    This has been the weirdest part of people's over reaction to the incident that I have seen as well. I don't understand why any criticism of Jada comes up at all in this whole situation. It was a joke at her expense. There has been nothing to suggest she told or otherwise indicated for Will to get up and commit assault.

Even if people don't care how it effected her. What did she actually do then and till now to be criticized at all?
    Some are critical of Jada because she gave the "look" that drove Will to act. Granted, Rock threw a nerf ball at her that led to the "look".

But more importantly to some critics of her - she did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop Will from leaving his seat and taking action. They are seated at a table together. Even if she couldn't physically stop him, her voice should have been used in a simple "Will, don't".

She didn't do that - most likely because she didn't want to. And it's not the first time that her action or lack of action has made Will look foolish publicly. So some are critical of her because of past deeds, in addition to this latest news bite, in which they didn't like her to begin with.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Some are critical of Jada because she gave the "look" that drove Will to act. Granted, Rock threw a nerf ball at her that led to the "look".

But more importantly to some critics of her - she did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop Will from leaving his seat and taking action. They are seated at a table together. Even if she couldn't physically stop him, her voice should have been used in a simple "Will, don't".

She didn't do that - most likely because she didn't want to. And it's not the first time that her action or lack of action has made Will look foolish publicly. So some are critical of her because of past deeds, in addition to this latest news bite, in which they didn't like her to begin with.
    Again you are jumping into her head and projecting your previous dislike of her to make her have responsibility. Who says she had any clue that Will would go that far? You could just as easily lay any blame you want to push on her to the actual people in charge of security for the event. They are more to blame than her for "allowing Will" to make it that far and assault someone. Her "look" was her personal reaction to a joke at her expense on live TV. Thats her feelings!

Whether someone liked her before or not is completely irrelevant. Her facial reaction to a joke at her expense has NOTHING to do with her husband taking it upon himself to go assault someone. Previous dislike or animosity to her somehow fueling her being "at fault" is ludicrous. No one has to like her then or now. But, the actual facts so far don't support the weird blame game thing some seem to be tossing to her.

Will Smith decided to get up and assault someone. It was his fault and no one else's.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 04-02-2022 at 11:39 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Forget comedy venues. They're probably taking bets on who will slap someone on tomorrow night's Grammys. That said, I had a thought last night: how differently would we be talking about this if Jada had been the one to walk up to Chris Rock and slap him across the face? Just asking.
    She could have just given Chris the finger and let it go at that. I doubt it would been as big a deal. Or she could have grabbed her husband by the arm too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    She could have just given Chris the finger and let it go at that. I doubt it would been as big a deal. Or she could have grabbed her husband by the arm too.
    How is her actually giving Chris the finger not a far bigger escalation of the situation? I mean if she is getting crap about a "look" which is just processing her feelings internally. What in the world would happen if she had actually physically responded as suggested?

As it is you see people blaming her for taking her autoimmune disorder "too seriously". Or saying she shouldn't have the right to be upset any jokes. And that was for nothing but a small facial registration of not being happy with a joke after processing it.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 04-02-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

How is her actually giving Chris the finger not a far bigger escalation of the situation? I mean if she is getting crap about a "look" which is just processing her feelings internally. What in the world would happen if she had actually physically responded as suggested?
    Stopping him from going up to the stage would have stopped anything from happening. As a woman, I don't feel I need a man to "defend my honor" And her giving Chris Rock the finger would have escalated things? How would that have been worse that what Will Smith did? Please, don't make me laugh.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Stopping him from going up to the stage would have stopped anything from happening. As a woman, I don't feel I need a man to "defend my honor" And her giving Chris Rock the finger would have escalated things? How would that have been worse that what Will Smith did? Please, don't make me laugh.
    Has she ever said she needed him to go defend her honor? That is people projecting things on her. Again. She didn't tell him to go hit Chris Rock as far as we know a week out. Had she actually given the finger hell yes that's an escalation. If she is getting attacked for seemingly not controlling her facial expression enough to some people's satisfaction. She for sure would be given shit for flipping him off on live TV. There would be calls for her to be in trouble as well for obscene gestures etc.

What Will Smith did is exactly right. WILL did that not her.

It reminds me of parts of Michelle Obama's Becoming book where she talks about having to ALWAYS be cognizant of her every reaction because she knew that she would be scrutinized and excoriated for any little thing as a black woman. That was my initial point this "need" some people seem to have to make it a woman's fault. She shouldn't be upset, she should have rugby tackled him, she should have grabbed his leg and held on in her giant dress. I mean all of this 'she should have's' to somehow make it her fault is fascinating. Rather than leave it at the obvious Will Smith was wrong and he shouldnt have done it.

Incredible Member

Has she ever said she needed him to go defend her honor? That is people projecting things on her. Again. She didn't tell him to go hit Chris Rock as far as we know a week out. Had she actually given the finger hell yes that's an escalation. If she is getting attacked for seemingly not controlling her facial expression enough to some people's satisfaction. She for sure would be given shit for flipping him off on live TV. There would be calls for her to be in trouble as well for obscene gestures etc.

What Will Smith did is exactly right. WILL did that not her.

It reminds me of parts of Michelle Obama's Becoming book where she talks about having to ALWAYS be cognizant of her every reaction because she knew that she would be scrutinized and excoriated for any little thing as a black woman. That was my initial point this "need" some people seem to have to make it a woman's fault. She shouldn't be upset, she should have rugby tackled him, she should have grabbed his leg and held on in her giant dress. I mean all of this 'she should have's' to somehow make it her fault is fascinating. Rather than leave it at the obvious Will Smith was wrong and he shouldnt have done it.
    I completely agree with you!
    So now the woman who was the victim of a putrid joke is to blame for not preventing her husband to act of his own free will and do something stupid and morally wrong she might or not have foreseen (sorry, I didn't know she was a telepath btw). But hey, she gave him the secret look!

What concerns me about this affair is how violence infiltrates every corners of our society up to the Oscars who should be one of the most safe place. It tells a lot about a country where people are at each other's throat where some people wish for the death of those who don't vote like them. This should be a wake up call for all of you, american friends, but by looking at some of the comments I doubt it will be heard.

Who is “attacking Jada for not controlling her facial expressions”? I’ve spent more time on this than I care to admit. Not as much time as others, though, but I’ve never seen this sentiment expressed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Who is “attacking Jada for not controlling her facial expressions”? I’ve spent more time on this than I care to admit. Not as much time as others, though, but I’ve never seen this sentiment expressed.
    Then you haven't read the past few pages of this very thread.

Then you haven't read the past few pages of this very thread.
    Mind pointing to a specific example?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Mind pointing to a specific example?
    OK.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

That's just the latest example. I mean through the thread others have attributed blame to Jada for being so sensitive about her condition. Or it's not even "that bad" a disorder. To weirdly make this her fault somehow.

Or ignoring all that and suggesting she should have done more somehow to stop him. Like he isn't a grown man who should know better.