Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    If one does something heinous then they shouldn't be eligible for an award...I don't understand what's complicated about that.
    Mets wants to make this a "Cancel Culture" thing. And is acting as if the Academy Awards is some bastion of perfect aesthetic art.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

If one does something heinous then they shouldn't be eligible for an award...I don't understand what's complicated about that.
    The heinous action has nothing to do with the art. There are people who can separate art from artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Some Oscar voters are saying they'd refuse to vote for Smith, which probably does not help the sense of the artistic integrity of the awards.

https://www.avclub.com/will-smith-ac...ion-1849616108
    There never was any to begin with.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The heinous action has nothing to do with the art. There are people who can separate art from artist.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Mets wants to make this a "Cancel Culture" thing. And is acting as if the Academy Awards is some bastion of perfect aesthetic art.
    This is not a cancel culture thing.

First, Will Smith is not penalized for his views. He assaulted someone in front of a lot of witnesses. It has nothing to do with either's religion or political views.

Second, I completely agree with the Oscars. It makes sense to ban Will Smith for a few years after he attacked an announcer. He's also eligible for prizes. People in Hollywood are free to make the decisions to hire him or not, and it makes sense why many don't want someone who assaulted a famous person with a lot of friends at an industry event in their project.

Finally, I'm not pretending that it's a bastion of perfect aesthetic art. I suggested otherwise in the post you're responding to. But the announcement that someone would be ineligible because of reasons that have nothing to do with the art means that no one is able to go for that ideal.

It depends on the award.

Some awards are based on a combination of performance and morals.

That's not really the case with the competitive Oscars.

There has been no announcement that Will Smith should be ineligible for future acting awards because of his actions. Any policy should be argued in advance, and should be made explicit. It should be clear that the best actor award isn't really for the best lead male performance but that it's limited to people who the Academy does not consider to be heinous.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

So let's say you're a salesmen, your metrics are all the highest in the company (highest number of contracts, best close percentage and largest dollar amount) but you also slapped another employee in the face at work...you think you still deserve salesman of the year?

You don't reward bad behavior.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I think the joke was in poor taste, but many jokes are in poor taste and that doesn't mean the comedian should get slapped over it. It's sad that Chris Rock had to make a joke about female alopecia but Will Smith was completely out of line in doing what he did and he should bear responsibility for it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

So let's say you're a salesmen, your metrics are all the highest in the company (highest number of contracts, best close percentage and largest dollar amount) but you also slapped another employee in the face at work...you think you still deserve salesman of the year?

You don't reward bad behavior.
    The company will try to smooth things over and sweep the incident under the rug. If that salesman is the company's best earner he will be protected. At best he'll get a slap on the wrist punishment to show the company did something.

The company will try to smooth things over and sweep the incident under the rug. If that salesman is the company's best earner he will be protected. At best he'll get a slap on the wrist punishment to show the company did something.
    I disagree. I think it depends on the company and company culture. In most companies I've worked for, that person would eventually be disciplined or fired.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That's a pretty shitty company and is probably losing clients and employees.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Second, I completely agree with the Oscars. It makes sense to ban Will Smith for a few years after he attacked an announcer. He's also eligible for prizes. People in Hollywood are free to make the decisions to hire him or not, and it makes sense why many don't want someone who assaulted a famous person with a lot of friends at an industry event in their project.
    So it's only because you agree with the Academy, what would your reaction be if they banned him from getting any awards for a number of years, which many in the Academy pushed for, and which these voters still hold. And really Mets, "lots of fireinds"?, it couldn't possibly be that they think what he did was offensive enough not to want to work with him. Why do you attribute the most noble motives to the Academy and the most petty to those that don't think he should be considered for an award?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

If the Academy really had any integrity they would've prevented Smith from getting an award THAT night right after the action. Or at the very least, had him removed from the event.

Anything they do (or don't) is just a dog and pony show.

The "heinous" act is actually keeping them in the publicity spotlight. I never even cared about the Oscars until this.

Invincible Member

The 2023 Ocsars will have a "Crisis Team" in place following the controversial Will Smith slap of last year

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...D=ansmsnnews11

First, Will Smith is not penalized for his views. He assaulted someone in front of a lot of witnesses. It has nothing to do with either's religion or political views.
    And of course he did at the Oscars. If he had done it anywhere else, the Academy wouldn't have to deal with it.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The 2023 Ocsars will have a "Crisis Team" in place following the controversial Will Smith slap of last year

Talk about turning a mound into a mountain. Didn't they try to throw Will and his family out but Will said no? I mean, what can a 'crisis' team do?

I could care less if its a celebrity, there should repercussions for behavior like that. Kanye West and Will Smith? Just ban them. If they win something, then mail the awards to them. Simple as that. Why make things so unnecessarily complicated?
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 02-24-2023 at 07:05 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

Oscars should take cues from the BAFTAS and other UK Award shows. . Don't air the awards actual life in real time. Give yourself at least a 10-20 minutes head start. the audience should be watching the awards at least 20 minutes after it started.

Will Smith messed up, however I hope this is not the end of his career. I hope he makes a come back.