Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Will Smith definitely had an entertained look on his face at first and then Chris Rock continued. He then had a WTF face when Will Smith walked up on the stage.

I don't think it was publicized that Jada Smith had a medical condition. She decided not to conceal it with a head covering or perhaps one of those high end hair pieces. As I linked earlier, there are women of color who sometimes have very close cropped hair as a style choice. I linked earlier to the profile page of a host Jacqueline Stewart on TCM who does but it is not as bare as Jada Pinkett's. I can't recall their names but there have been models with close cropped or shaved hair.

I guess no one remembers Don Rickles, who's schtick was being an insult comic. I think what Chris Rock said was pretty mild compared to what he would get away with and the celebrities loved it. I'm not sure the audience even got the joke, referring to an old Demi Moore movie where she shaved her head for the part.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-28-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Will Smith definitely had an entertained look on his face at first and then Chris Rock continued. He then had a WTF face when Will Smith walked up on the stage.

I don't think it was publicized that Jada Smith had a medical condition. She decided not to conceal it with a head covering or perhaps one of those high end hair pieces. As I linked earlier, there are women of color who sometimes have very close cropped hair as a style choice. I linked earlier to the profile page of a host on TCM who does but it is not as bare as Jada Pinkett's.

I guess no one remembers Don Rickles, who's schtick was being an insult comic. I think what Chris Rock said was pretty mild compared to what he would get away with and the celebrities loved it. I'm not sure the audience even got the joke, referring to an old Demi Moore movie where she shaved her head for the part.

https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content...9807026302.jpg
    Everything Jada Pinkett Smith Has Said About Her Alopecia Condition, Hair Loss Through the Years

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Nobody should ever resort to violence. Period.
    Reality don't work that way. If Chris went hard on Jada like he did in 2016 I wouldn't blame Will for throwing hands. This situation didn't warrant that.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I have issue with others thinking she has a serious illness when they have no idea what Alopecia even is. I would like for people to not sound morons because they want to put on white armor.

Chris is joke is mild. He said she's bald because she wanted a movie role.
    Whether a joke is gone too far or not can only be judged by the recipient. This wasn't banter at a family gathering nor a stand up special or a roast, this was an event televised worldwide and Chris decided to make fun of someone's condition. It's not like Jada chose to be bald, she is forced to due to a medical condition and this award ceremony wasn't even about that. Anyway, Will had a right to be mad and sometimes you got to make your boundaries clear or people will come at you with something that worse.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Sounds like she had adjusted to it and even jokes about it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Whether a joke is gone too far or not can only be judged by the recipient. This wasn't banter at a family gathering nor a stand up special or a roast, this was an event televised worldwide and Chris decided to make fun of someone's condition. It's not like Jada chose to be bald, she is forced to due to a medical condition and this award ceremony wasn't even about that. Anyway, Will had a right to be mad and sometimes you got to make your boundaries clear or people will come at you with something that worse.
    You can make your boundaries clear without physical violence.

Astonishing Member

Sounds like she had adjusted to it and even jokes about it.
    I mean does she have to act depressed and be publicly sad all the time for an autoimmune disorder to not be grounds to be made fun of? Is that the barometer?

But I'd answer that few people would have even gotten the G.I. Jane reference in the first place if the physical assault hadn't happened. Comics like Don Rickles have gotten away with worse .

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

You going have to tell where a line is crossed when the joke is that's she bald because she wanted a role for a movie sequel. In the footage Jada rolled her eyes at it. At it's worst it is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I mean does she have to act depressed and be publicly sad all the time for an autoimmune disorder to not be grounds to be made fun of? Is that the barometer?
    She chose not to conceal it. And if she was that sensitive about her condition she could just wear a glamorous turban. Plenty of these Hollywood stars wear expensive wigs. But that interview link didn't show that she was sensitive about it.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-28-2022 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Reality don't work that way. If Chris went hard on Jada like he did in 2016 I wouldn't blame Will for throwing hands. This situation didn't warrant that.
    Maybe not, but reality does work this way: if I'm at a work ceremony and the presenter makes a weird and obscure joke about something my significant other struggles with, if I go up to him and slap him across the face, I will be fired and likely arrested for assault charges.

Just because these people are celebrities doesn't mean they should be held to a different standard than the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Maybe not, but reality does work this way: if I'm at a work ceremony and the presenter makes a weird and obscure joke about something my significant other struggles with, if I go up to him and slap him across the face, I will be fired and likely arrested for assault charges.

Just because these people are celebrities doesn't mean they should be held to a different standard than the rest of us.
    That's a completely separate argument from the "no violence, ever" one you were making. And Rock decided not to press charges here.

Astonishing Member

She chose not to conceal it. And if she was that sensitive about her condition she could just wear a glamorous turban. Plenty of these Hollywood stars were expensive wigs. But that interview link didn't show that she was sensitive about it.
    That is a weird take. It's like blaming the victim. Take Winnie Harlow the supermodel. She has obvious vitiligo. And she's still a supermodel, makes money the same as other models. Because of that its ok for people to make fun of her skin condition because, "if she was sensitive about her condition" she could like not be a model and always cover up?

Coming to terms with the cards life has thrown you or your medical issues, doesn't mean it never bothers you if people publicly pick at it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    I AM willING try to bypass the suspision the suspicion if the whole thing was an act or not because a very sensible matter just rose here.
    I will also say resorting to violence is absolutely wrong.
    However I am not willing to bypass the fact that what Chris Rock did was also wrong and I do not have the slightest intention to let him go off the hook that easily.
    What Chris Rock did was pure body shaming.
    I do not care if it was a joke, i do not care if Alopekias is not serious. I was 100% pure body shaming right there and he should be held responsible by the Academy as much as Will Smith's violent act.
    It was in poor taste but comedians at the Oscars (and awards ceremonies in general) have made more mean-spirited jokes before.

And this wasn't even too bad, he was joking that Jada only cut her hair for a role. It's not really that serious IMO. Yes, she has an auto-immune disorder that made her lose her hair which I know it's been tough for her but bringing violence as a response to that sort of joke is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of an over-reaction.

Will Smith really, really crossed a line here. Worse still, he was actually laughing at the joke when Rock first said it.

I'd argue the real problem with this whole situation is that baldness is a societal stigma in the first place, for women or men. Do we really still need to make fun of people's appearance, as a society?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.