Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

About time...and I say this as an American .

Incredible Member

Viva México :P

I hope when they launch the annual subscription here in Brazil, the dollar is still going down.

I cant stand staring at screens. Particularly to pleasure read... but this sounds like an epic deal for anyone you likes to read off a computer or tablet.

The main pros of DCUI:

1. Eliminates buyer's remorse. You can read the floppies without buying them and then decide to get a trade or not later.

2. No FOMO*. You can technically read all the comics and keep up with all the storylines**.
    *Except for the six-month delay they do as a courtesy to brick-and-mortar shops. If you're okay with being six months behind, you're good.
    **This is DC, chances are good that most major storylines will either be forgotten, retconned or erased by the time they reach DCUI.

3. The reader is better than Comixology/Amazon's.

The main cons:

1. The archive (books from before 2011, when monthlies went digital by default) has a bunch of holes that need filling, and they are super slow about digitizing older comics. They're only doing 12 comics a month, and it's usually from three or four titles.

2. You can pre-cache comics on your tablet by downloading them first, but it's not an option on the PC. If you read on PC, expect to have to wait for pages to load.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

At last… April 28th for release here in the UK and it’ll be nice to actually have the app instead of using the web page via a VPN like I have the last couple of years.
    May also be worth me doing a completely new account as they’re offering 33% off when it does launch, will have to see how the prices match up.

Hopefully now that they’ve got their ass into gear by launching it worldwide, they’re also going to fill the huge holes they have in the various eras..
    Probably too much to hope for that we get things like Sgt Rock, Weird War, House of Mystery etc

Finally!
    But still a very conservative roll out. And they seriously need to add all the missing older comics. Marvel Unlimited has a much better offering.

Retired

Wish this had been available in Canada sooner--especially during the pandemic. Even though I've fallen out of the habit of reading newer comics, I might subscribe to this service just to avoid feelings of guilt when I happen to look at these comic books on other sites for free.

As far as archived comics go--I've come to despise the reconstructed art for the classic comics. Newer comics look the same, since they were all made with computers. But the transfer from old technology to new technology takes away all the warmth from the old comic books. I would much rather have scans of the original comics.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

So today for me!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

FINALLY, for ****'s sake! I wonder if it'll be available in Ireland at the same time as the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Finally!
    But still a very conservative roll out. And they seriously need to add all the missing older comics. Marvel Unlimited has a much better offering.
    I mean, Marvel Unlimited is also still missing stuff though, but they've been around longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Wish this had been available in Canada sooner--especially during the pandemic. Even though I've fallen out of the habit of reading newer comics, I might subscribe to this service just to avoid feelings of guilt when I happen to look at these comic books on other sites for free.

As far as archived comics go--I've come to despise the reconstructed art for the classic comics. Newer comics look the same, since they were all made with computers. But the transfer from old technology to new technology takes away all the warmth from the old comic books. I would much rather have scans of the original comics.
    99.9% of the ones on DC Infinite are straight scans.
    Btw, 'archive' comics is just the term they use on DCUI for back issues. It's not 'archived' in any way. Just their way of saying, 'these comics are old'.

I'm there with you. I've seen 'remastered' or 'recolored' comics and they look like crap because there's no texture in the colors.

I have seen some new indie comics that have successfully recaptured that feeling with modern coloring, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Marvel Unlimited is also still missing stuff though, but they've been around longer.
    True. The '70s-'80s Doctor Strange series finally got completed this year.

I just wish '60s-'80s JLA would get finished. There's only like six issues missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Like several issues of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man, for example. Like issues 71 through 80 are nowhere to be seen.