Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    for those who got the Robins book was there any variant covers?
    Yeah. The workout variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's assuming this too wasn't a good entry .
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    which it obviously was.
    The whole "journey to find your place in the legacy" thing is an overdone trope and '97 called, wanting its leather jacket back (and I think the poll should've been for giving niche corners of DC a chance to shine instead of having one of their golden gooses get yet another comic). Was hoping for more with this, I guess.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The whole "journey to find your place in the legacy" thing is an overdone trope and '97 called, wanting its leather jacket back (and I think the poll should've been for giving niche corners of DC a chance to shine instead of having one of their golden gooses get yet another comic). Was hoping for more with this, I guess.

opinions vary, and thank goodness more have a differing opinion than yours
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Well,

1) Any cliche or trope really just depends on the execution to work. I don't think it's all that different from the other Round Robin premises in that respect.

2) Superboy rocks that jacket better than practically anyone.

3) Conner hasn't had a book in so long and kind of lost his place in the Superman franchise/brand, so other than his connection to Superman I still think he's fairly "niche" enough to qualify. This isn't another Bat-Book or a Bat-adjacent book.

Well,

1) Any cliche or trope really just depends on the execution to work. I don't think it's all that different from the other Round Robin premises in that respect.

3) Conner hasn't had a book in so long and kind of lost his place in the Superman franchise/brand, so other than his connection to Superman I still think he's fairly "niche" enough to qualify. This isn't another Bat-Book or a Bat-adjacent book.

Yep, how. can you not like conner/kon
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Well,

I'd actually argue that once that cover was revealed, it was 75% a lock for the win.

Also, since when were leather jackets just a 90's thing? Though 90's trends are back big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'd actually argue that once that cover was revealed, it was 75% a lock for the win.

Also, since when were leather jackets just a 90's thing? Though 90's trends are back big time.
    I mean, look at Poison Ivy in the Harley Quinn cartoon .

A good deal of Arrowverse costumes relied on leather jackets (or the appearance of leather jackets).

Well,

That's true, but can't say I see a good hook for this one. Looks like it's just for the Superboy fans.

No, it looks awful. Unless you're Gambit (or Rogue, or the old TV version of Huntress), jackets over superhero costumes don't work really well. This one clashes with the Superman outfit and the spikes are overkill. Kinda reminds me of Spider-Man's attempts to be cool in Spider-Man 3, if that makes any sense. (Question: is Superboy supposed to be the cool bad boy type, because that's what the jacket is telling me the intent is.)

Sorry, but I don't see the difference there, although you might be right about this Superboy not being in the mix much; until I double-checked, my first question on seeing the entry was why the character who's only claim to fame was punching time deserved a comic.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

my first question on seeing the entry was why the character who's only claim to fame was punching time deserved a comic.
    100 issue comic book run
    Young Justice & Johns Teen Titan runs
    Young Justice show

And this is all some need to justify that comic.

Unlike Johns Stewart-whose outside of comic stuff is ALWAYS Jedi handwaved as NOT important. Especially versus other Lanterns.

Unlike Kyle, Constantine, Hawks and Firestorms-who held long comic book runs longer (or more in number) than Superboy.

And this comic looks like it's trying to undo the last 20 years of damage tossed on the character.

Man do I hate DC’s concept of families/legacies. It’s just the same characters but younger, female, diverse…etc. DC needs to expand their universe from just the same 6 brands over and over again.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

That's true, but can't say I see a good hook for this one. Looks like it's just for the Superboy fans.

No, it looks awful. Unless you're Gambit (or Rogue, or the old TV version of Huntress), jackets over superhero costumes don't work really well. This one clashes with the Superman outfit and the spikes are overkill. Kinda reminds me of Spider-Man's attempts to be cool in Spider-Man 3, if that makes any sense. (Question: is Superboy supposed to be the cool bad boy type, because that's what the jacket is telling me the intent is.)

Sorry, but I don't see the difference there, although you might be right about this Superboy not being in the mix much; until I double-checked, my first question on seeing the entry was why the character who's only claim to fame was punching time deserved a comic.
    Yes that’s exactly what comic Kon is.
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Man do I hate DC’s concept of families/legacies. It’s just the same characters but younger, female, diverse…etc. DC needs to expand their universe from just the same 6 brands over and over again.
    Hah ironic coming from a Jaime Blue Beetle fan! But they did try man, they tried with the New Age of Heroes, they tried with Naomi, they’ve kept trying. But unless it comes from a big “brand” comics people aren’t interested.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    They keep trying with other stuff (Naomi, the Post-Metal heroes, etc) but if you're coming to corporate comics and asking why they're reliant on brands, I just don't know what to tell you. It's like begrudging a dog for having paws.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

let those who don't get it, keep not getting it, and those who want their character to get all the spotlight, keep wanting,this will be the first time in a long time kon gets solo love, and he needs it for the way DC has treated him.

He is the coolest kid in the room, the smart-ass of the super family, the one who rocks a leather jacket like no other.

Don't mess with the S

Or for people who want to get to better know Conner .
    Well, it definitely sticks out more than just his t-shirt look.
    They didn't advertise it as a Superboy-Prime comic .

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yes that’s exactly what comic Kon is.

Hah ironic coming from a Jaime Blue Beetle fan! But they did try man, they tried with the New Age of Heroes, they tried with Naomi, they’ve kept trying. But unless it comes from a big “brand” comics people aren’t interested.
    Jaime should have been an original creation. He had a unique, support cast, powers, origin and villains. Superboy (and the Robins) are popular because of the brands they are a part of. They were created with a built in fanbase because Batman and Superman are popular characters. Rather DC focused on their more unique creations over the doppelgängers
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!