View Poll Results: Which Avengers era is your favourite?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1960's

3 6.00%
  • 1970's

15 30.00%
  • 1980's

19 38.00%
  • 1990's

8 16.00%
  • 2000's

10 20.00%
  • 2010's

5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Favourite Avengers Era of the decade?

Which Avengers book era is your favourite? Mostly which run you choose is your favourite run and still counting along with the Line-Up.

Not sure what to choose. Busiek was 1998-2002 I believe…

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

As much as I do love the late 70s I have to go with the 80s. Just so many great stories in that period.

Ultimate Member

1980s IMO. Busiek's run was good but not great IMHO.

After the 1980s run I liked Bendis New Avengers/Dark Avengers run.

Extraordinary Member

I've liked runs from all those eras except the 2010s, but I have to go with the '70s. Except for a few bad months with Gerry Conway writing, the book was always in good hands with the writers (mainly Thomas, Englehart, and Shooter), featured my favorite Marvel ongoing story of all time, the entire romance and marriage of the Vision and the Scarlet Witch, and codified the whole "reconcile years of Marvel continuity" epic storyline with the Kree-Skrull War, the Celestial Madonna, and the Pietro/Wanda origin story. If George Pérez had been able to work on it more consistently it would have been even better, but what he gave us was great and so was John Byrne's short run toward the end of the decade.

Busiek's run was what got me into the Avengers and Marvel in general, and I love it, but it owes a lot to the '70s. To me the lineup Englehart introduced just before he left, and which was more or less the core lineup until the end of the decade, will always be the Avengers lineup, give or take Hawkeye.

It would be better to give runs as options rather than years. The 1990s has one of the best runs, but also the absolutely worst one

Astonishing Member

The 1980s

Roger Stern's run on the main title is still my all time favorite.

The West Coast Avengers mini by Stern and ongoing by Engelhart was the strongest the title ever was.

And solo Avengers was a fun split book with the solo Hawkeye stories and guest avenger story.

The 80's, definitely. Stern's run is my favorite Avengers era ever. WCA debuted in the 80's.
    However, the 70's and the 90's definitely deserve mentions here. A lot of the Avengers, and the MU lore was established in the 70's. Jim Shooter really shook the team up. And I'm a huge fan of Harras and Epting's 90's run, WCA, IMHO, were at their best during the Thomas and Ross years, and Busiek and Perez's era was in the late 90's.
    The 60's is great slao, especially once Roy Thomas came along, IMHO.
    Sadly, the Avengers have been absolutely a shade of their former great self since the early 2000's.

Peace

1960s- the first 40 issues are not that great. The book only takes off when John Buscema starts drawing it in Avengers #41.
    1970s- the book is most consistently good in this decade.
    1980s- the book is bad for two years in the early part of the decade, and much better later that decade
    1990s- I like the stories in the early part of the decade, but the book turns to crap in the middle part of the decade, and then Kurt Busiek saves it at the end.
    2000s- very mixed quality
    2010s- good runs up until Secret Wars. Quality drops off a lot in the second half of the decade.

1970s for me.

Great art and writing. Kree-Skrull war, Celestial Madonna, return of Wonder Man(thanks Black Talon), Beast & Wondy bromance, etc etc

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Single handedly got me into the Avengers and all of the characters therein

Mighty Member

I’m going to go with the 2010’s, but I’d argue that Disassembled to Secret Wars was where the Avengers really shinned, with the all new all different era actually being a decent attempt to continue those ideas.
    But really, you had some of the best marvel teams during that period, New Avengers, Hickman’s avengers, mighty avengers, uncanny avengers, ultimates… all of it was pretty great.

Kooky Quartet for the win!!!!!!!

Astonishing Member

The 1990s. I know it's not a popular era but that's when I started reading Avengers so I have fond memories about it.

My favourite Avengers story was published in the 80's, but for sheer consistent quality, excellent artwork and defining Avengers tales I have to vote for the 70's.