Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    The article goes on to say, “So Nick Spencer may not have been allowed to reverse the events of One More Day as he might have wanted to, but that was always the case at Marvel rather than a sudden reversal of policy”- which can easily be read as Marvel higher ups imposed the policy on Spencer once they got wind of what he was doing. After all, Spencer introduced Chekhov’s engagement ring and thus the subject of marriage - so something was up other than just retconning Sins Past.
    Without getting into the details of this, the pitch of reversing One More Day and the reluctance/refusal to do so happened long before Kindred was a thing.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    Without getting into the details of this, the pitch of reversing One More Day and the reluctance/refusal to do so happened long before Kindred was a thing.
    How would you know this? And then what was with those creepy BND re-enactments around #53 or so? Not to mention Dr Strange asking Mephisto about Peter’s soul in #60 (?).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    How would you know this? And then what was with those creepy BND re-enactments around #53 or so? Not to mention Dr Strange asking Mephisto about Peter’s soul in #60 (?).
    I quite obviously can't answer the first question, the second was intended to be the red herring it eventually was, and the third was to be expanded on had Spencer finished his run instead of bouncing to Substack.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Shoot, I didn’t mean to spoil anything, boots. If I’d known, I wouldn’t even have hinted. I don’t know if you’re against digital (totally get it if you are), but you can get #3 and everything else the day of release on comixology. I’m sure you’re already aware, but I’m an expat working in Korea right now (where there’s no western comic shops for a thousand miles), so that’s how I get my fix.

Anyway, yes, #3 is probably the best issue yet. Highly recommended. My only nitpick is Ben is perhaps a bit angrier/ less jokey than I remember him in the 90s, but that’s JMD’s niche, so I roll with it. Pacing, writing, art, is all top notch.
    all g, mate you didn't spoil anything...and tbh, spoilers aren't a deal breaker for me these days.

not against digital at all, but i'm trying to support my local store (especially after 2 years of lockdowns) and the nostalgia kick is fun.

i'll check out #3 asap, but by then you lot will probably be on #4.

actually trying to recall if JMD ever really wrote a lighter hearted ben? has this always been "his ben"?
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I wonder what might've happened if Slott had been allowed to bring back Ben during Spider-Island.

The Scarlet Spider series by Yost would've been about Ben, and we probably wouldn't have the blur between Ben's role and Kaine's role -- and then maybe Kaine would've become the new Jackal? Would that have been more palatable to people, perhaps?

It's an interesting What If?

-Pav, who often wonders how and why certain writer ideas aren't greenlit and what those conversations are like...
    it's hard to know with these butterfly effect hypotheticals. slott might never have had the idea for the new jackal at all. so much is dependent on the teams working, the company culture, the market at the time.

i'd actually like to know more about these prior holds on ben reilly or pitches. maybe they weren't any better than what we got.
    troo fan or death

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I've read the Beyond conclusion and can only conclude that since Ben lost his moral compass that led him to be tad crazy. Irrational.

Maxine was not to be trusted but he wasn't able to see that anymore. Him walking around with that helmet like it was suddenly going to work and NOT hurt Peter was not, ahem, beyond him.

Enter CHASM. The only way this works is if Marvel pays it off by having a mapped out 12/18/24 issue arc in a CHASM title where he regains what he has lost. Becomes whole and can rightfully become A Spider-man again. If Ben just goes into limbo or gets on open ended mini-series then a random crossover appearance or shows up in a crossover with no conclusion Ben is lost to us for awhile once again.

Any word on a CHASM title remotely soon???
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I've read the Beyond conclusion and can only conclude that since Ben lost his moral compass that led him to be tad crazy. Irrational.

Maxine was not to be trusted but he wasn't able to see that anymore. Him walking around with that helmet like it was suddenly going to work and NOT hurt Peter was not, ahem, beyond him.

Enter CHASM. The only way this works is if Marvel pays it off by having a mapped out 12/18/24 issue arc in a CHASM title where he regains what he has lost. Becomes whole and can rightfully become A Spider-man again. If Ben just goes into limbo or gets on open ended mini-series then a random crossover appearance or shows up in a crossover with no conclusion Ben is lost to us for awhile once again.

Any word on a CHASM title remotely soon???
    According to Wells, we’re supposed to get a follow up to this Chasm crap in his run and that he’s gonna be a villain who blames Peter for his troubles.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...e-chasm-begins

Of course, given how Marvel has treated Ben, it wouldn’t surprise me if the whole thing ends with Peter failing to help him and him escaping into the sewer swearing vengeance or something stupid like that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    all g, mate you didn't spoil anything...and tbh, spoilers aren't a deal breaker for me these days.

not against digital at all, but i'm trying to support my local store (especially after 2 years of lockdowns) and the nostalgia kick is fun.

i'll check out #3 asap, but by then you lot will probably be on #4.

actually trying to recall if JMD ever really wrote a lighter hearted ben? has this always been "his ben"?
    Well, he wrote Lost Years, Redemption and a few issues of ASM with him in the early days of the clone saga. So only Redemption really covered the Spider-Ben era. That was a pretty dark story, but even still Ben in this new mini seems to have a bit more of a chip on his shoulder. Definitely no biggie, as I think Ben was finding himself. But it does run a little counter to how he was portrayed at the time for the most part.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    I think based on the last several years of Spider-Man they've turned Peter into someone who's more of an *overall* loser, vs how he was originally presented: as a very smart/intelligent guy, overlooked in favor of the jocks in his classes and ending up with what *appeared* to be bad luck because his sense of responsibility as Spider-Man interfered with his regular life.
    Hit the nail on the head. I said this once but unlike most people I wasn't thinking Ben was particularly being cast in a bad light because that's the same light they've been placing on Peter for a really long time now. It's about what I'd expected his tenure to be if he was brought back in the current zeitgeist.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Hit the nail on the head. I said this once but unlike most people I wasn't thinking Ben was particularly being cast in a bad light because that's the same light they've been placing on Peter for a really long time now. It's about what I'd expected his tenure to be.
    This, they really want to ruin Peter(and Ben) and for what?

It's not helping sales, to push Miles? Out of spite? Are they just THAT out of touch

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    This, they really want to ruin Peter(and Ben) and for what?

It's not helping sales, to push Miles? Out of spite? Are they just THAT out of touch
    i mean, you would hope they aren't intentionally sabotaging a flagship character

it's possible that they've gone too hard or too literal on some sort of "series bible" outline of what makes peter parker peter parker

i wonder if it is actually hurting sales though?
    troo fan or death

Spectacular Member

Is the dress is blue or gold? Spidey-style!
    hm.jpg hm.jpg
    Green goblin has a long history of being various shades of yellow-green and a more red-hued purple. But because I don't want to take the coward's way out, I compared him with one of the overall bluest Osborns I've seen and Chasm. From my perspective, he's wearing a shade of cobalt blue rather than dioxazine purple(a color frequently used to darken blue to give it a rich hue). While Chasm's green bits could possibly be used to shade this particular take of green(again, more blue-hued than usual), it's not the exact shade. Green is associated with death in the Spider-man comics. But it has similar connotations here, ie, it's the possible cessation of Ben's old identity as Spider-man/the first Scarlet Spider and the beginning of something new. What that new role will mean is yet to be determined. Yes, red text can mean evil. But I've read enough Anti-heroes to know it doesn't automatically mean he's the next evildoer. That doesn't mean it's not possible. Marvel is harsh with Reilly, and most of us don't trust them to treat him courteously for very good reason. But that doesn't automatically guarantee anything, and I'm opting to be cautiously hopeful until I'm proven wrong.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i mean, you would hope they aren't intentionally sabotaging a flagship character

it's possible that they've gone too hard or too literal on some sort of "series bible" outline of what makes peter parker peter parker

i wonder if it is actually hurting sales though?
    It's ASM so they're never going to be bad but it's certainly hurt the hype

People talk about X-men and runs like Immortal Hulk runs a LOT more than ASM, people were talking about FF/Avengers a lot more before Aaron as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I'll be honest: I couldn't avoid spoilers and speculation. While the specifics were mostly unknown to me, I went into this issue knowing that Ben was going to become Chasm. I saw the costume. I assumed this meant he wouldn't be getting his memories back, as well.

But I was determined to give this issue a fair shot -- to try to judge it on its own merits. And I'll say this, as well: studying literary analysis helped me to differentiation between liking something and appreciating something. By that, I mean -- even if there are aspects of a work of art I don't care for, I try to find something to appreciation about its crafting. I can think of an example easily: the novel Swamplandia, which I believe is an excellently written book and has an ending that I really did not like.

I knew, going into this issue, that it was going to be a tragedy -- in the literal sense of the word. Reading the first few pages only intensified this realization. The word "tragedy" literally kept appearing in my thoughts. And I found myself thinking of tragedies. Hamlet has always been my favorite Shakespeare play; by the end, every major character is killed, including the titular hero. I thought of the film Memento, and how brilliant that movie was despite / in spite of an ending that is a little maddening. I even thought about Watchmen, in which the true villain gains the ultimate victory.

A well-written tragedy can be appreciated.

All that to say: I think I liked the issue.
    Here's the thing about a tragedy: It doesn't end with a sequel hook. It can, potentially, end ambiguously with a question (i.e., Ben last seen going into the green goop, Janine last seen going to look for him, the timeskips hiding any resolution with Peter or someone else checking what Janine found, if anything). But the epilogues and "Chasm" undermine that completely. Especially if the idea is for there to be a "Chasm" series or him to be in a team book or something - even if there's no intention to rebuild "Chasm" back into a recognisable Ben per se, it would be almost impossible for such a series to *not* be a rebuilding job of SOME sort. The alternative would be for "Chasm" to be a non-character, like the Jemas-era Silver Surfer book, or Steve Gerber's Man-Thing... and the first-person narration breaks that.

Really, if they wanted to introduce "Chasm", it would have been better to go with the ambiguous ending, introduce "Chasm" as a character later, and reveal he's what's become of Ben later still.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It's ASM so they're never going to be bad but it's certainly hurt the hype

People talk about X-men and runs like Immortal Hulk runs a LOT more than ASM, people were talking about FF/Avengers a lot more before Aaron as well.
    online chatter can be hard to quantify though
    troo fan or death