Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yeah, the horrible ending pretty much ruined that series for everyone (which is why some people ignore the last two issues in continuity, including apparently everyone working on the Spidergeddon crossover). If the series ended at #22 or #23 with the girl waking up and Ben and Kaine going their seperate ways as uneasy allies, the series wouldn't be remembered as fantastic or anything, but it'd be regarded as decent enough and not in the negative light most see it nowadays. It's kinda like how GoT's finale or HIMYM's finale ruined all the good will viewers had for those properties so much, people can't even go back and watch the good episodes now.
    My head-canon is just that the last two issues were Mephisto screwing with Ben for revenge for him going back on their deal.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

This whole thing bothers me for several reasons. First, just why? You can have Ben Rilley around. We have Two Captain Americas practically with Sam, we have like two Supermen right now, and don't get me started about the many many many Green Lanterns. There's no reason you can't have the Scarlet Spider given we have so many other Spiders running around. Straight up. Let Ben be a hero, let Chasm be some rando who wanted to be Spider-man. Hell he could be a good villain for Ben himself. There is no reason for this action and honestly it feels like Marvel is scared to have more than two characters wearing the webs.

Secondly, it's not going to last and I hope that someone, soon, realizes the mistake and fixes this.

Third how in the world are you going to have you know "I was inspired by my dad and my uncle Ben" for Mayday in the future. You can't have that if he becomes like this. You know what...pull off a weird as Jack of Hearts thing. Or say he's been alive all this time but somehow he can't remember. You know like Ned Leeds. You can pull this off. It is NOT that hard. I just...I don't blame Nick but someone should have told him. "Do not pull this. No one is going to be excited for this."

BANNED

I still think this is a swerve and they'll reveal Ben is really Spidercide through DeMatties' mini-series. It just makes too much sense. Also, rather notably, we didn't get any issue of that series this month.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    This whole thing bothers me for several reasons. First, just why? You can have Ben Rilley around. We have Two Captain Americas practically with Sam, we have like two Supermen right now, and don't get me started about the many many many Green Lanterns. There's no reason you can't have the Scarlet Spider given we have so many other Spiders running around. Straight up. Let Ben be a hero, let Chasm be some rando who wanted to be Spider-man. Hell he could be a good villain for Ben himself. There is no reason for this action and honestly it feels like Marvel is scared to have more than two characters wearing the webs.

Secondly, it's not going to last and I hope that someone, soon, realizes the mistake and fixes this.

Third how in the world are you going to have you know "I was inspired by my dad and my uncle Ben" for Mayday in the future. You can't have that if he becomes like this. You know what...pull off a weird as Jack of Hearts thing. Or say he's been alive all this time but somehow he can't remember. You know like Ned Leeds. You can pull this off. It is NOT that hard. I just...I don't blame Nick but someone should have told him. "Do not pull this. No one is going to be excited for this."
    I do, Lowe and Wells both

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I still think this is a swerve and they'll reveal Ben is really Spidercide through DeMatties' mini-series. It just makes too much sense. Also, rather notably, we didn't get any issue of that series this month.
    That causes way more problems than it solves. That retcons all of Ben's stories once Peter returned to NYC, which is like half his time as Spider-Man and some of his best stories. We also have seen Ben's thoughts since then and it's clearly him. Death literally said it's Ben Reilly's soul. I also think Jackal would be able to tell the difference between Ben and Spidercide.

Also, regardless of how anyone feels about it, a lot of people like myself invested time and money into Ben since his return and would feel basically robbed if they told us all of those stories weren't actually about Ben.

And what does that retcon even solve? Ben's heel turns were both caused by things beyond his control and he could easily be fixed if Marvel wanted. Marvel HAD a "back to factory settings" Ben and decided to turn him into Chasm, so I doubt this is something elaborate fake-out. And it would just make things even dumber and more convoluted.

Just finished the run with this issue, was playing catch up. Honesty? Didn't he this story. Liked the tragic ending.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    We also have seen Ben's thoughts since then and it's clearly him.
    Spidercide is so far gone he actually thinks he is Ben.

Death literally said it's Ben Reilly's soul
    Death could just be humoring him and tells him what he wants to know to further a purpose.

I also think Jackal would be able to tell the difference between Ben and Spidercide
    Who's to say the Jackal is even the real one? A lot of fans think the original Jackal was killed in the 70s and that even the one from the 90s wasn't the original.

Also, regardless of how anyone feels about it, a lot of people like myself invested time and money into Ben since his return and would feel basically robbed if they told us all of those stories weren't actually about Ben.
    A lot of people invested time and money in BND era Harry for a decade, a lot of people invested time and money in Otto as Superior Spider-Man. Marvel robbed them blind. They don't care about you, they care about going back-and-forth thinking one side of a customer base has a stronger cash-flow than the other.

And what does that retcon even solve? Ben's heel turns were both caused by things beyond his control and he could easily be fixed if Marvel wanted. Marvel HAD a "back to factory settings" Ben and decided to turn him into Chasm, so I doubt this is something elaborate fake-out. And it would just make things even dumber and more convoluted.
    Marvel have pulled dumber stunts, and will again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Spidercide is so far gone he actually thinks he is Ben.

Death could just be humoring him and tells him what he wants to know to further a purpose.

Who's to say the Jackal is even the real one? A lot of fans think the original Jackal was killed in the 70s and that even the one from the 90s wasn't the original.

A lot of people invested time and money in BND era Harry for a decade, a lot of people invested time and money in Otto as Superior Spider-Man. Marvel robbed them blind. They don't care about you, they care about going back-and-forth thinking one side of a customer base has a stronger cash-flow than the other.

Marvel have pulled dumber stunts, and will again.
    They have but you're overestimating their commitment to this character. They literally just had Ben back to normal and turned him into a villain because they couldn't find anything to do with him as he was, so it doesn't really serve them to suddenly go through all of this convoluted nonsense to undo a choice they made last month. If they had any interest in "classic Ben," Chasm wouldn't even exist.

Even if it was just a clone of the Jackal, he would still have the originals memory and knowledge, so that's kind of a moot point.

Unless editorial completely strong-armed him, it absolutely doesn't sound like anything Dematteis would write.

Again, I doubt they're going to torpedo their big new villain by saying he's a 90s joke villain instead of Ben, who actually has fans.

I'm not saying Marvel doesn't do stupid stuff, but it doesn't make any sense with what they're trying to do in this case. And I sincerely hope they don't, because it would be so immensely stupid and only serve to ruin the character more.