Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

yeah I actually miss Spencer run, the high point was the Jed Mackay issues with Carlos Gomez and the MJ and Black Cat beyond. Pat Gleason writing was a 2nd high point. man Peter not once mention Boomerang that roomate despite his faults, gave his life to save Peter. in the first issue of Beyond, Harry was mentioned but no Fred, that should affect Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Anyone can wear the mask.*

*Except for Ben Reilly, we don't talk about Ben.
    Getting ‘We Don’t Talk About Bruno’ vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’m going to say the quiet part out loud; I prefer him as Spidey. I feel like him being Scarlet Spider is something he outgrew in the original saga and it does feel like it’s strictly a cheap sidekick role, kind of symbolic of how Ben feels always being thought of as lesser or secondary to Peter.

But if it’s between him being Scarlet Spider again or him being Chasm… yeeesh! No contest there. Then I’m begging for the hoodie. I just don’t see this Chasm crap lasting. People who like Ben will hate it on principle, and it sure won’t win over anyone who didn’t like Ben in the first place. Plus, like I said earlier it reminds me of Speedball becoming Penance, that kind of edgelord makeover crap I thought we left behind in the 90s and early 00s. I think Ben will be gone for a loooooong time, possibly 5 or more years, and when he does finally reappear the Chasm stuff will get retconned quickly. Because he’ll be brought back by someone who wants to use Ben, not Chasm.
    Yeah, that´s the silver lining of all this imo. I can´t see this shtick lasting. Either he´ll get a mini and they set him back to normal kinda at the end, or he just goes away for a while and reappears normal and they hand wave this all away

Anyone can wear the mask.*

*Except for Ben Reilly, we don't talk about Ben.
    Nobody cares about the poor clones...

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably has better things to do. I doubt Beyond would've handled him well.
    Jokes of him dodging a bullet aside, I assume what they think about Ben (no place for him, too similar to Peter) may extend to their thoughts on Kaine. I expect he’ll pop up again one day, but maybe not until there’s a new editorial team.

I also want to say I have nothing against Nick Lowe. I’m sure he’s a nice person. We (including myself in that) should be careful of not letting things cross into the personal. But I just strongly disagree with his ideas of what is needed and not needed in the Spidey books.
    Yeah, reading Nick Lowe's statement in full now, I would not be shocked if Kaine were to get killed off or written out of the books too. Like, he carved out a corner as the Anti-hero character, but then the Superior book kind of superseded his niche, and then Ben's resurrection had Kaine reduced even more. And yeah, if Spencer really did intend to use Ben and Kaine in Last Remains only to get vetoed, that doesn't paint the best picture.

-------

I also get the impression with Lowe's outro that it came off as an admission that they really wrote themselves into a corner by allowing Slott to resurrect Ben just to make him the secret mastermind villain of Clone Conspiracy. They couldn't just kill him off again because that would be admitting that he was only brought back as a stunt, and they really had no interest in writing him like his old self again despite "factory resetting" him in Spider-Geddon.

So this really feels like the cautionary tale of the downsides of Marvel's writing twists to "break the internet." Yeah, that stuff pays dividends at the moment, but in the long term, we get them floundering for years on what to do with the character after the fact.

-----

Nobody cares about the poor clones...
    They're not real people, they don't even have belly buttons!
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

they really had no interest in writing him like his old self again despite "factory resetting" him in Spider-Geddon.
    Which is weird given they gave us exactly the Ben we want with the mini.

BANNED

Nick Lowe is truly clueless, literally go read the mini series about ben right now but that would involve him actually doing his job.

The beyond run has been utter garbage aside from some nice art from Gleason and Gomez.

Ben was once again used as a villain and turned into a venom replacement for Peter.

Peter and MJ once again denied by someone supernatural, marvel are just trolling now.

Amazing Spider-Man is now DROPPED.

Marvel is the pits right now, they’re just lucky DC are even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    Nick Lowe is truly clueless, literally go read the mini series about ben right now but that would involve him actually doing his job.

The beyond run has been utter garbage aside from some nice art from Gleason and Gomez.

Ben was once again used as a villain and turned into a venom replacement for Peter.

Peter and MJ once again denied by someone supernatural, marvel are just trolling now.

Amazing Spider-Man is now DROPPED.

Marvel is the pits right now, they’re just lucky DC are even worse.
    The mini actually ends up feeling like a middle finger in retrospect. Baiting people in with the golden days of Ben only to destroy him in the present never realizing that the Ben we get in the mini is what fans want of him.

They're not real people, they don't even have belly buttons!
    This reminds me of "Earth-2 Lives Don't Matter" from The Flash to justify characters being so kill happy with anyone from Earth-2 .

Yeah. Alternatively if they want to retire him, let him have a happy ending with Janine. In a twist on the 90s saga he could be the “Peter” that gets married, retires and has a baby.
    That would be great.

So where's Kaine through all of this?
    Being smart and not getting involved with Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It’s sad that you can literally sum up their stupid writing of Ben going after Peter because of Maxine with the following:
    I'm not sure Ben is this self aware lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    I have just look for this scene and it's totally... imprecise? misleading?. It was just the opposite in the comic-books. It could be from Spider-man #57 (the first time they met, with MJ slapping Ben) or from Spectacular Spider-man #232 (the second time they met).

Attachment 119701
    In the first one, MJ shouts Ben than "no one is going to believe you as him. You're not half the hero he is... Not half the man!". Ben then says: "Mrs. Parker, I can't help the way I look and I can't help but try and help you". She didn't say anything about Ben wanting to take Peter's life. They mention it in the second meeting, but there they were not arguing at all.

Attachment 119702
    In the second issue, Ben says "Peter and I were in competition for the same life. That's over. It's taken me a long time... but I've come to terms with who... and what... I am!". MJ then said: "You sound so sincere. I really want to believe you..." to what Ben answers: "I don't blame you for having doubts. It makes perfect sense for me to be jealous of Peter! He's living the ideal live. He has a beautiful wife and family on the way. It's a life I can never have. Clones don't live as long as real people, Mrs. Parker. I came with a degeneration factor. It's only a matter of time before it catches up to me! That's why I'm so eager to help you. At least one of us deservers to live happyly ever after!".

Ben never wanted to take Peter's life away, because he thought he never could have had it. Both issues can be read in The Amazing Spider-man - The Complete Clone Saga Epic Vol. 3.
    Both MJ and Ben were treated poorly here, since MJ keeps talking like Ben only brings disaster, and while she did have problems with him for a bit back in clone saga, she didn't keep hating him once she realized he's not a bad person.

In hindsight, that line from ASM#76 where Ben says he doesn't expect people to help him, while back then it was seen as a good way to look at his character, that line was planting a seed for this garbage ending, that Ben never expects people to help him, and he still thinks so here.

You know, for all the flack people gave Spencer by the end of this run, I feel like Beyond has really put it in perspective what a bad run of Spider-Man really is.
    This is basically Ben's own BND, which's why I like to call it "Beyond New Day".

I hope Kaine stays in limbo and never leaves, him getting his own version of this would be terrible, I don't care about Ben at all and this story still annoyed me, now something like this happening with a character I actually like? **** no.

This reminds me of "Earth-2 Lives Don't Matter" from The Flash to justify characters being so kill happy with anyone from Earth-2 .
    The ****? Why would Barry of all people be kill happy? Lol.

Anyways, this story is garbage, I did not expect this to be good, and Marvel still managed to surprise me, because I thought this would be just some bland story that is annoying but not too damaging, but now they fucked over Ben again and this whole thing felt empty.

Back when Heroes in Crisis was announced, I thought it would be just as bad as Identity Crisis, and then HiC comes out and it's even worse, and I realized I was actually being optmistic despite thinking the story would be garbage, this is kinda how I feel right now, Beyond was mostly boring but the ending still surprised me how bad this nonsense is.

Can't blame people if they decided to drop Spider-Man after this, between the ending of Spencer's run, and this surprisingly worse ending, one can wonder if we'll get a rule of 3 and Wells' run on ASM will end so bad it'll make us look bad into OMD and think "Y'know, this wasn't that bad".
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The ****? Why would Barry of all people be kill happy? Lol.
    Earth-2 Atom-Smasher? Basically radiated too death.

Sand Demon? Lightning Throwed to death.
    Can't blame people if they decided to drop Spider-Man after this, between the ending of Spencer's run, and this surprisingly worse ending, one can wonder if we'll get a rule of 3 and Wells' run on ASM will end so bad it'll make us look bad into OMD and think "Y'know, this wasn't that bad".
    I haven't seen enough to be optimistic about Wells' run.

Earth-2 Atom-Smasher? Basically radiated too death.

Sand Demon? Lightning Throwed to death.
    Did Barry go back in time to undo thos deaths at least? .

I haven't seen enough to be optimistic about Wells' run.
    I'm not optmistic at all, while Wells can be an alright writer, even he still doesn't seem to like MJ, man, the Marvel editorial is just ruining any potentially cool stories we can get, it's like they liked too much the gimmicks from Slott's run and now want everyone else to do it, even if it has to be forced.

**** like this makes me wish Spidey wasn't as big as he is, for sales to drop just enough for Marvel to put actual effort into those comics and not try dumb **** like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I'm not optmistic at all, while Wells can be an alright writer, even he still doesn't seem to like MJ, man, the Marvel editorial is just ruining any potentially cool stories we can get, it's like they liked too much the gimmicks from Slott's run and now want everyone else to do it, even if it has to be forced.

**** like this makes me wish Spidey wasn't as big as he is, for sales to drop just enough for Marvel to put actual effort into those comics and not try dumb **** like this.
    His Hellions was good. I checked his bibliography and that was the title that I actually liked from him. Perhaps he is better at writing morally grey to villains. C-D listers where he has a lot of freedom to work and people won't be so harsh on him if he goes to far.

Astonishing Member

There is little doubt that Ben got a raw deal in Beyond, but at least he still has Janine. I am afraid Peter will end up in an even worse position ( the fact that Amazing will be six months into the future is a strong clue about that.) If that is the case, the Wells run will be another arc like Beyond and post-Silk Slott that I will be sitting out. This is especially true with Yankee Season starting up next week, which will give me something to enjoy instead of being constantly pissed off about the direction of Spider-Man.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 03-30-2022 at 12:46 PM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    There is little doubt that Ben got a raw deal in Beyond, but at least he still has Janine. I am afraid Peter will end up in an even worse position. If that is the case, the Wells run will be another arc like Beyond and post-Silk Slott that I will be sitting out.
    Slott was a special kind of douche, but Wells wasnt a fan of Ben and could be better and also this the second writer after a hack for 10 years