Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The two obvious suspects are Mephisto and Morlun, but I would not overlook Beyond Corp.
    Beyond i think is done. It was well lets scrubs Spider-Man from our system and move on and dont think Morlun will be involved anytime soon.

Mayday cometh

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I'd largely checked out on "news coverage" during Spencer's run, but when a run wraps up, like Beyond just did - wasn't it customary to conduct your usual softball interview with the authors where they say what they loved doing and whatnot and where they also try to mitigate criticism as they're able? Did the big two stop doing that altogether, or are things kind of silent like when Spencer wrapped his own run and we didn't really hear from him?
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    I have just look for this scene and it's totally... imprecise? misleading?. It was just the opposite in the comic-books. It could be from Spider-man #57 (the first time they met, with MJ slapping Ben) or from Spectacular Spider-man #232 (the second time they met).

Attachment 119701
    In the first one, MJ shouts Ben than "no one is going to believe you as him. You're not half the hero he is... Not half the man!". Ben then says: "Mrs. Parker, I can't help the way I look and I can't help but try and help you". She didn't say anything about Ben wanting to take Peter's life. They mention it in the second meeting, but there they were not arguing at all.

Attachment 119702
    In the second issue, Ben says "Peter and I were in competition for the same life. That's over. It's taken me a long time... but I've come to terms with who... and what... I am!". MJ then said: "You sound so sincere. I really want to believe you..." to what Ben answers: "I don't blame you for having doubts. It makes perfect sense for me to be jealous of Peter! He's living the ideal live. He has a beautiful wife and family on the way. It's a life I can never have. Clones don't live as long as real people, Mrs. Parker. I came with a degeneration factor. It's only a matter of time before it catches up to me! That's why I'm so eager to help you. At least one of us deservers to live happyly ever after!".

Ben never wanted to take Peter's life away, because he thought he never could have had it. Both issues can be read in The Amazing Spider-man - The Complete Clone Saga Epic Vol. 3.
    This is scene from Maximum Clonage Alpha.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I'd largely checked out on "news coverage" during Spencer's run, but when a run wraps up, like Beyond just did - wasn't it customary to conduct your usual softball interview with the authors where they say what they loved doing and whatnot and where they also try to mitigate criticism as they're able? Did the big two stop doing that altogether, or are things kind of silent like when Spencer wrapped his own run and we didn't really hear from him?
    I was wondering the same thing. I guess we'll have to do with Lowe's ""apology""

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    This is scene from Maximum Clonage Alpha.

Wow. I also thought it was from that Spider-Man #57 issue. But Wells read (and actually used) a scene from the absolute nadir of the Clone Saga… that’s …. Pretty impressive, actually. It even took us Ben heads much longer to find it than we normally would, as even we don’t really revisit that issue.

Well, this was a letdown. Ben is just a victim throughout and even the fight solves itself when he... falls? Into the deathly goo thing? The fight had some cool moves but that ending broke that up too. Beyond and Maxine get away with pretty much everything they did and Peter feels bad for a bit. Odd cliffhanger... The End. Really underwhelming. Neither Ben or Peter do anything heroic or really have any agency in advancing the plot.

As for Chasm, going back to Ben as a villain means the whole arc didn't even left him in a good place to be used in the future.
    Last edited by Webhead; 03-30-2022 at 04:15 PM.

If there's anything remotely positive I can say about this it's that it's further encouraging me to just build my ideal Spider-Man universe in my head and ignore what any future comics do unless I find it to be even remotely interesting. That's it.

Astonishing Member

It’s funny that out of the three brothers, Kaine, the supposedly tragic one, has now had the least amount of terrible stuff happen to him.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    It’s funny that out of the three brothers, Kaine, the supposedly tragic one, has now had the least amount of terrible stuff happen to him.
    That we know of

Don't give them any ideas!

The Spider-Office is well past due for an overhaul, this alone is the third time this editorial department has overseen a Ben Reilly but evil story. I commend them for seeing a story through this time to the end and having it feel like this is what they planned it to be unlike the last run, but they can never help themselves from just making downer doom and gloom stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    they can never help themselves from just making downer doom and gloom stories.
    I repeat myself, but it's like they're missing the very point of Spider-Man. Does he have it easy? Not at all. But he bounces back.

They get the tearing down right, but they forget about the bouncing back part.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I repeat myself, but it's like they're missing the very point of Spider-Man. Does he have it easy? Not at all. But he bounces back.

Right, and they pretend like they have the bouncing back moments all the time but they never really land. ASM 74 read like it was supposed to be a satisfying final battle with Spidey coming out on top thanks to MJ's love but it all felt hollow and rushed. This is supposed to be Peter bouncing back after his injuries and he just loses a longtime friend (brother back in the day) again and it's like, ok on the next thing again (Harry dying a 2nd time had no satisfying wrapup from anybody). Literally, getting a mysterious visitor warning of imminent new plot to keep our attention.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post

It’s because they think Ben is inferior to Peter. He has the outline of Peter, but is missing his core. Their thoughts, not mine… Slott had the Gwen clone say as much to Peter during CC. So it’d make sense they think Ben can be torn down, but doesn’t know how to bounce back. They always view the character as inferior and he’s only used as a parable now for why Peter is irreplaceable (whether it’s CC or Beyond). As we know, this is not how Ben was viewed or used in the 90s.

It’s because they think Ben is inferior to Peter. He has the outline of Peter, but is missing his core. Their thoughts, not mine… Slott had the Gwen clone say as much to Peter during CC. So it’d make sense they think Ben can be torn down, but doesn’t know how to bounce back. They always view the character as inferior and he’s only used as a parable now for why Peter is irreplaceable (whether it’s CC or Beyond). As we know, this is not how Ben was viewed or used in the 90s.
    There might be a bit of spite for Reilly, but Spencer's run wrapped in a similar way. Peter is tossed around by Kindred(s), gets a building dropped on him and that's it. Sarah and Gabriel just roll over and die, Harry sacrifices himself, MJ pulls him out of the rubble. Peter has no agency in the resolution of that storyline either, he's just a victim.