Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Immortal X-Men #1 Review/Spoilers

As expected, Kieron Gillen's Immortal X-Men is excellent.

The first issue is centered on Sinister--a character Gillen redefined and knows well--and clues us in on his thoughts, feelings, and machinations.

Paris, 1919. Destiny and Sinister have an exchange on a park bench, and she tells him, "A war is coming." She reveals that she has to tell him something that "will change everything," before whispering in his ear. Afterward, Sinister begins to choke, cries black tears, and seemingly dies. Mystique suddenly appears and asks Destiny, "What did you tell him?" Destiny assures her, "I will tell you if you ever need to know...and we must hope that it never comes to that."

Krakoa. Now. Sinister reveals that he has established the "secretest of secret labs" somewhere outside of Krakoa. We learn that he is cloning, splicing, and conducting "intense genetic fraying."

The Quiet Council, ruling body of Krakoa. Magneto announces that he is "stepping down from the council and retiring to Arakko." Sinister shares his observations on each council member's reaction. Later, the council interviews candidates--Angel, Penance, Gorgon, Vulcan, Brand, and Beast--to fill the empty seat. Other names--Legion, Namor, Sobunar, Lodus Logos, Xlio, Doug--are floated for consideration, but they are either refused or not interested.

Arbor Magna. Exodus approaches Hope Summers, referring to her as "Messiah." After they exchange a few words, he seemingly asks her to throw her hat in the ring to become a council member.

The Quiet Council. The council interviews Selene, who notes, "I can offer skills that none of you have. No one in this room knows magic. Krakoa has borders with mystical realms." Suddenly, Hope enters the room. She declares, "The Five are what this whole island rests on. If we're not being heard, or are worried about what's going on, that's a real problem. So, if we want it, the Five needs to have representation on the council. I want it." After Hope exists, Selene notes, "If Hope can play the game...the girl talks about sacrifice? The External Gate that reached Arakko...think of the disruption if that gate just...went away." After Selene exits, the council votes, and Hope is elected as the new council member.

Krakoa. Xavier approaches Selene and informs her that "it's not the right time for a seat on the council...but we all agree your ideas have real merit. We wish to work in partnership." Selene responds, "This is all quite simple. You made a decision and you'll live with the consequences. Suddenly, she "resurrects the gate," and a large creature appears and begins to attack. Storm and Colossus can be seen fighting it off.

Sinister's Secret Lab. Sinister talks about "mutant circuits" and Chimeras. "They'll be fun," he promises, "It's the hot new thing." Suddenly, he reveals that he has cloned Moira. Six clones of her are shown.

The end.
    Last edited by Mercury; 03-30-2022 at 07:29 AM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

So how is Sinister getting the knowledge from all the clone attempts. Thats the only thing I got confused about? Can anyone elaborate.

CTRL+F "Hellion," 0 results.

Not off to a good start, Destiny of X.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Daaaaaaaaaang Destiny of X starting off with a bang. Gillen is killing it and I love Werneck’s art here.

Excellent setup issue! This is my first time experiencing Gillen's Sinister and I love him. His secret is a HUGE one and I wonder if Destiny knows what he's doing.

A lot of interesting character moments here (Kurt calling Hank unethical and saying he doesn't trust him on the council, etc.), and the art was fantastic. I wonder if Exodus gave Hope a telepathic nudge when she made her speech.

Lots of drama, a scorned Selene unleashing hell on the island, and I'm very pleased with all of it.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    His secret is a HUGE one and I wonder if Destiny knows what he's doing.
    She probably ordered the clones so she and Mystique could beat them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The only thing that would have made this issue better is if one of the Moiras was wearing a Banshee skin suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Daaaaaaaaaang Destiny of X starting off with a bang. Gillen is killing it and I love Werneck’s art here.
    Same! I prefer Sinister in smaller doses though so hopefully he's not the central figure of the next few issues.

Extraordinary Member

Where has this book been for the last 2 years?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Excellent setup issue! This is my first time experiencing Gillen's Sinister and I love him. His secret is a HUGE one and I wonder if Destiny knows what he's doing.

A lot of interesting character moments here (Kurt calling Hank unethical and saying he doesn't trust him on the council, etc.), and the art was fantastic. I wonder if Exodus gave Hope a telepathic nudge when she made her speech.

Lots of drama, a scorned Selene unleashing hell on the island, and I'm very pleased with all of it.

he kinda looks like tom cruise there

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    She probably ordered the clones so she and Mystique could beat them up.
    Haha!!

Quote Originally Posted by carmoc1234 View Post
    he kinda looks like tom cruise there
    Wait, he does. Now I can't unsee it!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Seems like once the first of these clones dies, we will learn that her powers were not what everyone thought they were.

Also funny for Hope to come in and proclaim that the Five deserve a council spot because of their importance, while the million of civilian mutants still don't have any voice on the council.

Which reminds me to the conclusion of Minbari Grey Council conflict in Babylon 5. Where the worker caste gets the majority of votes because of being the largest group overall and performing all the duties the other two caste require to function.
    And then they still don't get any voiced characters or are ever mentioned making any important choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    As expected, Kieron Gillen's Immortal X-Men is excellent.

The first issue is centered on Sinister--a character Gillen redefined and knows well--and clues us in on his thoughts, feelings, and machinations.

Paris, 1919. Destiny and Sinister have an exchange on a park bench, and she tells him, "A war is coming." She reveals that she has to tell him something that "will change everything," before whispering in his ear. Afterward, Sinister begins to choke, cries black tears, and seemingly dies. Mystique suddenly appears and asks Destiny, "What did you tell him?" Destiny assures her, "I will tell you if you ever need to know...and we must hope that it never comes to that."

Krakoa. Now. Sinister reveals that he has established the "secretest of secret labs" somewhere outside of Krakoa. We learn that he is cloning, splicing, and conducting "intense genetic fraying."

The Quiet Council, ruling body of Krakoa. Magneto announces that he is "stepping down from the council and retiring to Arakko." Sinister shares his observations on each council member's reaction. Later, the council interviews candidates--Angel, Penance, Gorgon, Vulcan, Brand, and Beast--to fill the empty seat. Other names--Legion, Namor, Sobunar, Lodus Logos, Xlio, Doug--are floated for consideration, but they are either refused or not interested.

Arbor Magna. Exodus approaches Hope Summers, referring to her as "Messiah." After they exchange a few words, he seemingly asks her to throw her hat in the ring to become a council member.

The Quiet Council. The council interviews Selene, who notes, "I can offer skills that none of you have. No one in this room knows magic. Krakoa has borders with mystical realms." Suddenly, Hope enters the room. She declares, "The Five are what this whole island rests on. If we're not being heard, or are worried about what's going on, that's a real problem. So, if we want it, the Five needs to have representation on the council. I want it." After Hope exists, Selene notes, "If Hope can play the game...the girl talks about sacrifice? The External Gate that reached Arakko...think of the disruption if that gate just...went away." After Selene exits, the council votes, and Hope is elected as the new council member.

Krakoa. Xavier approaches Selene and informs her that "it's not the right time for a seat on the council...but we all agree your ideas have real merit. We wish to work in partnership." Selene responds, "This is all quite simple. You made a decision and you'll live with the consequences. Suddenly, she "resurrects the gate," and a large creature appears and begins to attack. Storm and Colossus can be seen fighting it off.

Sinister's Secret Lab. Sinister talks about "mutant circuits" and Chimeras. "They'll be fun," he promises, "It's the hot new thing." Suddenly, he reveals that he has cloned Moira. Six clones of her are shown.

The end.
    Hope is mutant jesus and selene should have won that seat.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Doesn't every minute Hope spends with the QC represent a minute Mutants aren't being resurrected?

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Doesn't every minute Hope spends with the QC represent a minute Mutants aren't being resurrected?
    I mean, even the messiah's gotta have some downtime.