Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, yeah, those are good points there. It's one thing to have a wide range of knowledge or learning --- the definition of a polymath in real life --- but being on that super-genius-level in everything scientific really does stretch if not break the bounds of suspension of disbelief.
    It's irksome in that Marvel went and made a super-polymath in Finesse, of the Avengers Academy, whose actual power was originally to be a multidisciplinary prodigy, able to master chemistry and gymnastics and 'learn a few languages' in her spare time, and then, because every freaking smart guy at Marvel *already had that power,* she got retconned into being Taskmaster Lite, with photographic reflexes, and her being a genius at a bunch of other things, including music and math and languages, mysteriously got abandoned for more fighty-fight nonsense, as if Marvel needed yet more punchy-folk.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think that's because Marvel is scared that they'd end up getting American Christians mad at them by having explicitly angelic beings or beings otherwise associated with angels or Heaven fighting as or alongside superheroes.
    Those same Christians would be equally upset with Son of Satan, Ghost Rider, Mephistopheles and several "real-world" demons (i.e., according to their belief system) that have representations in the Marvel Universe. And don't get me started on the gods who are perceived as pagans by monotheistic faiths, (even though Psalm 82 clearly states that there are other "gods" according to the Christian text). Marvel has even brought us a somewhat Gnostic interpretation of the Demiurge. Ironically, despite all of the supernatural entities running around the MU, it's been mostly a limited fictional universe. I'm just calling for equal time for angels. It doesn't even have to be one narrowly defined by Judeo-Christian precepts, as clearly TOAA exists in the MU, but he isn't necessarily awash in biblical context and color.

Billy and Teddy being glued at the hip. There are plenty of couples that don't always get written together but these two are apparently a package deal. Billy did get some time alone in Strikeforce.

Black Bolt being just the scream guy. He has so much cool stuff he can do. It really messes with his characterization of being conditioned not to speak when it becomes his main form of offense.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It's irksome in that Marvel went and made a super-polymath in Finesse, of the Avengers Academy, whose actual power was originally to be a multidisciplinary prodigy, able to master chemistry and gymnastics and 'learn a few languages' in her spare time, and then, because every freaking smart guy at Marvel *already had that power,* she got retconned into being Taskmaster Lite, with photographic reflexes, and her being a genius at a bunch of other things, including music and math and languages, mysteriously got abandoned for more fighty-fight nonsense, as if Marvel needed yet more punchy-folk.
    Yeah, that is a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Those same Christians would be equally upset with Son of Satan, Ghost Rider, Mephistopheles and several "real-world" demons (i.e., according to their belief system) that have representations in the Marvel Universe. And don't get me started on the gods who are perceived as pagans by monotheistic faiths, (even though Psalm 82 clearly states that there are other "gods" according to the Christian text). Marvel has even brought us a somewhat Gnostic interpretation of the Demiurge. Ironically, despite all of the supernatural entities running around the MU, it's been mostly a limited fictional universe. I'm just calling for equal time for angels. It doesn't even have to be one narrowly defined by Judeo-Christian precepts, as clearly TOAA exists in the MU, but he isn't necessarily awash in biblical context and color.
    Fair and good points there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Oh and how Xavier can canonically photocopy whatever Reed knows about a topic and use that knowledge himself. Well, a lot of telepaths can do that actually.

TBH, Taskmaster-lite, who's also a super-genius sounds great as a character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Oh and how Xavier can canonically photocopy whatever Reed knows about a topic and use that knowledge himself. Well, a lot of telepaths can do that actually.

I think you mean “great as a plot device” cause that’s the only way they’ll be used.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That's also Prodigy's superpower. He can copy the skills and knowledge of anyone in a certain radius, but the original drawback is that he doesn't retain that knowledge or those skills once the person he's drawn them from is outside that radius, so he has to study extra-hard in school to have any knowledge rooted in what he himself knows and recalls. Then he got depowered after House of M/Decimation, and as compensation, he got the mental block that kept him from recalling all the knowledge he accumulated from others removed, which also came in handy when he finally got repowered, however that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I think you mean “great as a plot device” cause that’s the only way they’ll be used.
    Sadly, because it could yield some great dramatic potential, insofar as how alienated someone like that might feel from everyone else around them, and how much ennui might set in after a while.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The idea that Marvel needs to keep putting out so many titles when they clearly don't have the talent to sustain them all. Marvel's superhero line should only be twenty to thirty books.

Two X-Books (Yes, you're just getting two)
    Two Avengers
    Two Spider-Man titles
    A Miles Morales title
    Doctor Strange
    Thor
    Nova (Rich Rider)
    Guardians Of The Galaxy
    Black Panther
    Captain Marvel
    Champions (This is where Kamala and Sam are)
    Daredevil
    Iron Man
    Captain America
    Fantastic Four
    Inhumans
    Power Man and Iron Fist
    Moon Knight
    Blade
    Wolverine (Logan...duh)
    S.H.I.E.L.D (I can't stand Nick Fury Jr, but it's time for the spurs to return
    Silver Surfer (Most of the time he doesn't make this list but Ron Marz and Ron Lim restored my faith in the character)
    Hulk
    The Union
    The rest of slots will just be mini series
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The idea that Marvel needs to keep putting out so many titles when they clearly don't have the talent to sustain them all. Marvel's superhero line should only be twenty to thirty books.

Two X-Books (Yes, you're just getting two)
    Two Avengers
    Two Spider-Man titles
    A Miles Morales title
    Doctor Strange
    Thor
    Nova (Rich Rider)
    Guardians Of The Galaxy
    Black Panther
    Captain Marvel
    Champions (This is where Kamala and Sam are)
    Daredevil
    Iron Man
    Captain America
    Fantastic Four
    Inhumans
    Power Man and Iron Fist
    Moon Knight
    Blade
    Wolverine (Logan...duh)
    S.H.I.E.L.D (I can't stand Nick Fury Jr, but it's time for the spurs to return
    Silver Surfer (Most of the time he doesn't make this list but Ron Marz and Ron Lim restored my faith in the character)
    Hulk
    The Union
    The rest of slots will just be mini series
    I would tweak that....

4 Avengers with no cast duplications. East, West, Young, Secret
    4 X-Men with no cast duplication. NYC team, San Fran team, Westchester School and X-Force
    1 Spider-Man

X-Men and Avengers have enough characters to support this format

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I would tweak that....
    You only get two teams, nah just kidding lol.

4 X-Men with no cast duplication. NYC team, San Fran team, Westchester School and X-Force
    1 Spider-Man

That's the issue with current Marvel, doing things because they can without thinking if they should. Two teams is enough IMHO.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

I would love her to be more like that old TV character 'the Pretender,' who was a polymath who could basically master a particular skillset in hours, to carry out some sort of impersonation or needed role, even if it was a super-complex thing like surgeon or physicist. That would be much cooler than just 'copies Wolverine's leapy-stabby pose, and Cap's shield-toss' nonsense.

'Cause a super-hero whose power is to be almost as good at various fight-y moves as other super-heroes whose signature moves they are? Boring. I for one have zero interest in the amazing derivative adventures of Second-Rate Copycat Lass.

Astonishing Member

I would tweak that....

1 Spider-Man

You’re right. Miles Morales and Peter should share a book. The idea that they can’t work together is dumb.

Extraordinary Member

You’re right. Miles Morales and Peter should share a book. The idea that they can’t work together is dumb.
    No....One Spider-Man book....one Miles Morales book.

Anthony W had this...
    Two Spider-Man titles
    A Miles Morales title

Astonishing Member

No....One Spider-Man book....one Miles Morales book.

Anthony W had this...
    Two Spider-Man titles
    A Miles Morales title
    Yet another status quo that needs to die. Spider-Man being a loner.

Extraordinary Member

Yet another status quo that needs to die. Spider-Man being a loner.
    I am not against him being shown with his friends from time to time or being in a team book. In fact I want to see that happen.