Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Status Quos that need to die.

Well, Moon Knight is out, and that got me thinking about ol' Moonie and the reason that I stopped reading it. Marc would fall into the influence of Khonshu, find the strength to reject him, fall into the influence, find the strength to reject him, fall into the influence, over and over and over since the Huston era redefined the character. I got bored of it.

Similarly, Silver Surfer and Galactus's on again off again relationship. It genuinely feels more and more meaningless to me almost every time the two meet. Isn't it cool that Surfer is standing against Galactus again? Isn't it cool that they're allies again? Isn't it cool that he's standing against Galactus? Isn't it cool that they're allies again? No, not really. Maybe if it was Lifebringer Galactus, that would have brought something new to the table, but Lifebringer didn't interact with Silver Surfer too much. It feels like they think Galactus has to be there to show or explain how impactful he was to Surfer, and that's never actually necessary. One of the most haunting thing about any toxic relationship is how it still affects you even though that person is no longer a part of your life, and Silver Surfer is such an introspective character that the shadow of Galactus ought to be more than enough to explore.

I don't need someone to tell me this is just "comic books" and how most characters adhere to some sort of unending repetitious status quo. I know.

I'm just curious to know what Status Quos you think need to die.

A bitter New Warriors fan MitchFox's Avatar

STATUS QUOS I CAN'T STAND

Peter Parker remains as an unmarried loser bachelor

Mutants become endangered time and time again

Johnny Storm learns to act mature but after that, he becomes immature again. Rinse and repeat.
    Tumblr: http://oxymitch.tumblr.com/

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post

Johnny Storm learns to act mature but after that, he becomes immature again. Rinse and repeat.
    Yes, yes and yes...especially the mutant one. Public opinion on mutants should go back and forth over time.

You want him to be a married loser bachelor? That's a rather weird take.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Overpowered Superhero gets grave-stomped by Uber Super Villain. Far more squishy Low Level Hero -- and sometimes their sidekick, Less Smart and More Inexperienced Hero -- survive to fight same Uber Super Villain, even though Uber Super Villain could wipe them out with a thought in hundredths of a second. Low Level Hero gains new power that takes them to same level as Overpowered Superhero that died, but Low Level Hero predictably wins. The end.

Pathetic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    You want him to be a married loser bachelor? That's a rather weird take.
    Not the OP, but Marvel won’t let him be a divorced loser bachelor or even an engaged loser bachelor, so unmarried works IMO.

OMD being canon.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post

Moon knight is pretty confusing with all the multiple personalities Marc has, and konshu and his agenda thrown on top of it. But marvel in general seems to be stuck in a lather,rinse repeat loop with most of their heroes. Iron man in particular seems to o be stuck in an endless cycle of trying to live up to his father’s legacy, even though a) tony was adopted, and b) daddy was a psychopath.
    Last edited by protege; 03-31-2022 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    SHIELD not being around
    Couldn't agree more. Still miss the old days when OG Nick Fury appeared out-of-nowhere whenever there's a crisis
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-30-2022 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

On that note: Nick Fury NOT being in charge of SHIELD.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Overpowered Superhero gets grave-stomped by Uber Super Villain. Far more squishy Low Level Hero -- and sometimes their sidekick, Less Smart and More Inexperienced Hero -- survive to fight same Uber Super Villain, even though Uber Super Villain could wipe them out with a thought in hundredths of a second. Low Level Hero gains new power that takes them to same level as Overpowered Superhero that died, but Low Level Hero predictably wins. The end.

Pathetic.
    Seconded. Please kill this.

Heroes being Outlawed. The Champions literally JUST got Kamala's Law repealed, only to be banned again (along with the adult heroes) by Mayor Fisk in Devil's Reign.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Ghost Rider and Hulk

Instead of telling good stories the status q changes every year. The actual Hulk story is unreadable.

Aunt May. Nuff said. Most annoying character ever!

Reed Richards leading the Fantastic Four...
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!