Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Miles could always go pick up the other dumb names Marvel considered for him, like Kid Arachnid, or Spy-D .
    Oh god I would've hated Marvel with the power of thousand suns if they ever named my guy something goofy like that. Spy-D is just awful.

If I absolutely had to call him something else I'd go with Recluse.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I would like to kill this strange obsession Marvel has with trying to take a Bat-Family approach to Spider-Man.
    It's not even much of an obsession, the spiders just team-up once every 3 years or so and then the rest go back to limbo once it's done lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    While I am of the same mind as you on separate books for Pete and Miles....I think that the Hawkeyes should be pointed out...but I do feel they are a one off that should not be copied by others.
    Hawkeye is also traditionally a character from team comics, him sharing a comic with someone else isn't that weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Or some of the names Beyond Corporation focus-tested for him when they wanted Ben Reilly to "enforce the Spider-Man trademark." I think they were "Stinger" and Striker."
    Beyond was half assing with those names, they barely sound like they're Spider related, specially Striker lol.

It's funny. I was prepared for the pushback from X-Men fans for only giving the X-Men two titles.
    I expected the same.

I didn't expect Miles having a book to be controversial. Folks, I put The Union on this list. The Union! I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who read that.
    I didn't recognize the name, but I have very selective knowledge about Marvel so I thought it was something that's popular and I wasn't aware of lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Why don’t they just alternate focus based on the story like most other ensemble casts?
    That could work to balance out the attention between both of them I guess, I just don't see the point of making Miles and Spidey both lose their own comics for this to happen to begin with, Miles in particular could be screwed over for doing this after a while because Spidey is so much bigger as a character.

Drop the "Kid" and just call him Arachnid. Problem solved.
    Yeah I dunno why the hell they added the "Kid" there, it doesn't flow well.

At some point Marvel is going to have to give him a name. He is never going to be "The" Spider-Man. Every other spider character has a name. He no longer lives in the Ultimate Universe.
    That would be difficult at this point because he's been known as "Spider-Man" for so long, it can happen, but I doubt Marvel would be willing to do so right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't even think the Hawkeyes work because the dynamic tends to favor Kate than Clint. Just look at the show version.
    Really? Man, Clint's life is a curse lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Oh god I would've hated Marvel with the power of thousand suns if they ever named my guy something goofy like that. Spy-D is just awful.
    Yeah, Spy-D sounds like a sarcastic name someone would call Miles if he's doing espionage shit, not something he'd keep using as a codename.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member

I don't even think the Hawkeyes work because the dynamic tends to favor Kate than Clint. Just look at the show version.
    I do agree with that....and think comics Clint needs to be treated better (along with Scott Lang)...But in general I do like to see the dynamic between Clint and Kate when written well. As far as the show I chalk that up to the 'passing the torch' theme of the show.

Ultimate Member

It's funny. I was prepared for the pushback from X-Men fans for only giving the X-Men two titles. I didn't expect Miles having a book to be controversial. Folks, I put The Union on this list. The Union! I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who read that.
    I know right? And that book was amazing! Great art *and* great writing. And we still really know little about how working-class Joe became the new Union Jack, what even Snakes *is,* etc! (Craig the cybernetically-enhanced corgi should have been the breakout star!)

Then again, I'm a softie for international teams. Alpha Flight, Winter Guard, Agents of Atlas, Global Guardians, whoever, I'm here for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I do agree with that....and think comics Clint needs to be treated better (along with Scott Lang)...
    Oh yeah. Dane Whitman is the latest victim of this lazy-ass writing cliche of trying to make a character 'relatable' or 'down to earth' by having a formerly respected and competent character suddenly become a bit of a hard-luck loser, held in contempt or looked down on by his former friends and teammates.

Even when it happens with a character, like Dane, that I'm not particularly a fan of, it annoys the crap out of me. He was an *Avengers leader* for a time, and normally pretty classy people like Thor and T'Challa are talking smack about him to his face. (Which just makes *them* look assy, for no particular reason.)

And it really jars when it bounces from Thunderbolts-era Hawkeye (who led the team) or Fantastic Four-era Scott Lang (who went up against *Doom!*), to bumbling screwups who have to be saved from their own ineptitude constantly by their savvier teen sidechick/daughter. As much as it could be argued that their absolute *best* showings may have seemed a touch out of character or even fan-ficcish, growth is possible, so it's not as unlikely as a formerly competent and respected hero just sort of falling apart and becoming inept (and disrespected by their colleagues).
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-15-2022 at 06:00 AM.

Judging from all the normies who only saw the movie and didn't read comics who were annoyed that they were wasting this much time on a "sidekick" I would say that the dynamic favored Clint. People were pissed at that show. Of course those are just the normies I saw.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I know right? And that book was amazing! Great art *and* great writing. And we still really know little about how working-class Joe became the new Union Jack, what even Snakes *is,* etc! (Craig the cybernetically-enhanced corgi should have been the breakout star!)

Then again, I'm a softie for international teams. Alpha Flight, Winter Guard, Agents of Atlas, Global Guardians, whoever, I'm here for it!

Oh yeah. Dane Whitman is the latest victim of this lazy-ass writing cliche of trying to make a character 'relatable' or 'down to earth' by having a formerly respected and competent character suddenly become a bit of a hard-luck loser, held in contempt or looked down on by his former friends and teammates.

Even when it happens with a character, like Dane, that I'm not particularly a fan of, it annoys the crap out of me. He was an *Avengers leader* for a time, and normally pretty classy people like Thor and T'Challa are talking smack about him to his face. (Which just makes *them* look assy, for no particular reason.)

And it really jars when it bounces from Thunderbolts-era Hawkeye (who led the team) or Fantastic Four-era Scott Lang (who went up against *Doom!*), to bumbling screwups who have to be saved from their own ineptitude constantly by their savvier teen sidechick/daughter. As much as it could be argued that their absolute *best* showings may have seemed a touch out of character or even fan-ficcish, growth is possible, so it's not as unlikely as a formerly competent and respected hero just sort of falling apart and becoming inept (and disrespected by their colleagues).
    The annoying thing is that this even happens to Spider-Man/Peter Parker, particularly in the last decade or so since One More Day. Not necessarily to the extent of Dane or Clint or Scott, but you'd think after all these years of saving people and being damned good at it, he'd get at least a little more respect from (most of) his superhero allies/friends/comrades than having them crack wise all the time about how annoyed they are by him. That said, as Spider-Man was and is the pioneer of the "relatable superhero" archetype, the real issue is that Dane and Clint and Scott in their more recent/modern iterations come off as bad attempts at replicating what made Spider-Man successful in the first place, not to mention that not every MU hero can or should be (like) Spider-Man, even if he is in my opinion the pinnacle of heroism (alongside Captain America).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

No secret identities. No way it would work and it’s unbelievably cringy.

More villains need killed off. No way heroes should be letting guys walk so they can come back and threaten again. I get comics were pushing a sort of morality years ago but the audience was teenagers. The dudes at my comic shop are 20’s & up. I don’t need every hero to against killing.

More heroes need to pass the torch permanently. Comics should be dynamic. The one thing the movies get right is within a few years, everyone will be replaced. That’s refreshing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    No secret identities. No way it would work and it’s unbelievably cringy.

More villains need killed off. No way heroes should be letting guys walk so they can come back and threaten again. I get comics were pushing a sort of morality years ago but the audience was teenagers. The dudes at my comic shop are 20’s & up. I don’t need every hero to against killing.

More heroes need to pass the torch permanently. Comics should be dynamic. The one thing the movies get right is within a few years, everyone will be replaced. That’s refreshing.
    I only agree with the third one.

What keeps villains alive isn’t the heroes; it’s their popularity.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The idea that Marvel needs to keep putting out so many titles when they clearly don't have the talent to sustain them all. Marvel's superhero line should only be twenty to thirty books.

Two X-Books (Yes, you're just getting two)
    Two Avengers
    Two Spider-Man titles
    A Miles Morales title
    Doctor Strange
    Thor
    Nova (Rich Rider)
    Guardians Of The Galaxy
    Black Panther
    Captain Marvel
    Champions (This is where Kamala and Sam are)
    Daredevil
    Iron Man
    Captain America
    Fantastic Four
    Inhumans
    Power Man and Iron Fist
    Moon Knight
    Blade
    Wolverine (Logan...duh)
    S.H.I.E.L.D (I can't stand Nick Fury Jr, but it's time for the spurs to return
    Silver Surfer (Most of the time he doesn't make this list but Ron Marz and Ron Lim restored my faith in the character)
    Hulk
    The Union
    The rest of slots will just be mini series
    I appreciate your viewpoint here, but none of those books gets me off of the fence and reaching for my wallet, unless the second Avengers book brings more than the usual cast of Avengers characters. Even with that I'd still like to see a Marvel Premiere/Preview/Spotlight/Presents type book that features some of the lesser known characters and talent. I'm also in favor of a Defenders and an Ultimates book, even if it means that some of the solo books are sacrificed.

If you really want Miles to have a name that is not Spider-Man because that's Peter... what about "Ultimate Spider-Man", an an in-universe name?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    If you really want Miles to have a name that is not Spider-Man because that's Peter... what about "Ultimate Spider-Man", an an in-universe name?
    That's horrible for multiple reasons.

For one, it elevates him and degrades Peter. Now we have "Ultimate Spider-man" and regular plain old ordinary Spider-man. Can you imagine DC introducing a new character as calling him "The Absolutely Best Batman"?

For another reason it's just long and awkward to to say.

On top o that, you're STILL calling him Spider-man.

Incredible Member

I just wish Miles had been left in his 2099 ‘universe’. That where he worked best, at least that’s my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    For one, it elevates him and degrades Peter. Now we have "Ultimate Spider-man" and regular plain old ordinary Spider-man. Can you imagine DC introducing a new character as calling him "The Absolutely Best Batman"?
    Sorry, that ship has already sailed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That's horrible for multiple reasons.

For another reason it's just long and awkward to to say.

On top o that, you're STILL calling him Spider-man.
    Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I just wish Miles had been left in his 2099 ‘universe’. That where he worked best, at least that’s my view.
    Maybe it’s time for Peter to retire. The timeline could actually move if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I appreciate your viewpoint here, but none of those books gets me off of the fence and reaching for my wallet, unless the second Avengers book brings more than the usual cast of Avengers characters.
    That is why there are two books.

Even with that I'd still like to see a Marvel Premiere/Preview/Spotlight/Presents type book that features some of the lesser known characters and talent.
    You get twenty-five to thirty books. I used the rest of my slots for limited series. But you could use a slot for that.

I'm also in favor of a Defenders and an Ultimates book, even if it means that some of the solo books are sacrificed.
    Here's the thing it's only twenty-five to thirty books. The Marvel Comics Presents book was a good idea, but we already have NINE teams on the list and the Defenders and The Ultimates are...well...redundant imho.

Ask yourself this. Should they be on this list because they HAVE to be? Do they fulfill a role that the other teams on this list don't? Or do you want them on this list because you LIKE them?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest