Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Sorry, that ship has already sailed.

Bendis' self wanking is really dumb.

He also had Spidey whine a few times about how much better Miles' costume is than his' lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

He also had Spidey whine a few times about how much better Miles' costume is than his' lol.
    If at least it was just the costume...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

His costume is better.

Astonishing Member

Because Marvel hates power ups.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Because Marvel hates power ups.
    Can't tell if you're joking, but the stories I've seen over the years suggest otherwise.

Maybe it’s time for Peter to retire. The timeline could actually move if that happened.
    Definitely. Move comics forward.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Ask yourself this. Should they be on this list because they HAVE to be? Do they fulfill a role that the other teams on this list don't? Or do you want them on this list because you LIKE them?
    My liking them is the criteria for a purchase. That applies, I imagine, to every sale ever for all consumers.

As for redundancy, that is true only if a writer has a very limited imagination. The types of stories that can be told with an Ultimates or a Defenders book can be different than what we see with GotG, Avengers, X-Men, FF, etc. The point of more teams, of course, is to expand opportunities for characters who are just wasting away in limbo. Characters that you won't see regularly featured in the other books.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Can't tell if you're joking, but the stories I've seen over the years suggest otherwise.
    How often do said power-ups stick?

Ultimate Member

How often do said power-ups stick?
    Depends on the character. Invisible Girl and Things power up stuck (she used to just be invisible, now she's force field queen, for instance, and Thing is much stronger). Marvel Girl and Cyclops power ups have stuck (his eyebeams used to run out of power, she used to be able to telekinetically lift as much as she could physically lift). Angel's radical power up to Archangel has stuck. Luke Cage used to be half as strong as Tigra, and now he's one of the heavy hitters. Nova and Captain Marvel used to be flying tanks, now they have cosmic-tier blasty powers and those powerups don't seem to be going anywhere.

Spider-Man occupies a specific niche, and powering him up kind of takes him out of that, so he's less likely to get a lasting upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    My liking them is the criteria for a purchase. That applies, I imagine, to every sale ever for all consumers.

As for redundancy, that is true only if a writer has a very limited imagination. The types of stories that can be told with an Ultimates or a Defenders book can be different than what we see with GotG, Avengers, X-Men, FF, etc. The point of more teams, of course, is to expand opportunities for characters who are just wasting away in limbo. Characters that you won't see regularly featured in the other books.
    I don't know, the thing about the Defenders and Ultimates is that people like the idea of the teams more than the teams themselves. They are the superhero comic equivalent of buying a homemade ice cream maker. Everyone is always excited at first...and then everyone forgets about it. As for the characters wasting away in limbo? Well maybe there is a reason why most of them are there. The thing about the Avengers is that the roster is always changing and most of the heavy lifting is done by the characters who don't have books.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Maybe it’s time for Peter to retire. The timeline could actually move if that happened.
    Lol, it won't, Spidey ain't the only one Marvel doesn't want to age.

I had repressed that, great...

His costume is better.
    In your opinion, sure, but that's irrelevant because Spidey ain't someone to whine about things like that, specially if he talks like he's in a fanfiction written by a 12 year old talking about a Mary Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Spider-Man occupies a specific niche, and powering him up kind of takes him out of that, so he's less likely to get a lasting upgrade.
    It's annoying he got a downgrade if anything, he really doesn't look as strong as he used to be in the 80's.

Fights themselves don't help too, characters just pose at each other, which hurts him more 'cause he barely uses his speed when fighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Definitely. Move comics forward.
    I feel like it would be better just to let him age. He's still a long way from retirement age and it seems out of character for him to quit while he's still physically able.

It's also never going to happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I know right? And that book was amazing! Great art *and* great writing. And we still really know little about how working-class Joe became the new Union Jack, what even Snakes *is,* etc! (Craig the cybernetically-enhanced corgi should have been the breakout star!)

Then again, I'm a softie for international teams. Alpha Flight, Winter Guard, Agents of Atlas, Global Guardians, whoever, I'm here for it!

Oh yeah. Dane Whitman is the latest victim of this lazy-ass writing cliche of trying to make a character 'relatable' or 'down to earth' by having a formerly respected and competent character suddenly become a bit of a hard-luck loser, held in contempt or looked down on by his former friends and teammates.

Even when it happens with a character, like Dane, that I'm not particularly a fan of, it annoys the crap out of me. He was an *Avengers leader* for a time, and normally pretty classy people like Thor and T'Challa are talking smack about him to his face. (Which just makes *them* look assy, for no particular reason.)

And it really jars when it bounces from Thunderbolts-era Hawkeye (who led the team) or Fantastic Four-era Scott Lang (who went up against *Doom!*), to bumbling screwups who have to be saved from their own ineptitude constantly by their savvier teen sidechick/daughter. As much as it could be argued that their absolute *best* showings may have seemed a touch out of character or even fan-ficcish, growth is possible, so it's not as unlikely as a formerly competent and respected hero just sort of falling apart and becoming inept (and disrespected by their colleagues).
    You're absolutely right about Dane. I remember thinking he was a really cool character when I was a kid in the early 90s. Rewriting him as a joke makes him way less appealing and makes the Avengers look like jerks. I hate that kind of re-imagining of a character.

If I was Peter I'd ask the same thing, although I'd probably want the camo power more.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8