Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thor having hammer problems.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wow. I never realized just how much of a thinly veiled metaphor this could be. XD XD XD
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post
    STATUS QUOS I CAN'T STAND

Peter Parker remains as an unmarried loser bachelor

Mutants become endangered time and time again

Johnny Storm learns to act mature but after that, he becomes immature again. Rinse and repeat.
    Oh yes. Particularly Johnny for me. It’s like each writer resets his character so that they can have him mature so the next writer can regress him.

0:30
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have said it for years. Marvel likes the idea of Thor but hate the actual character. He is constantly getting replaced or deemed unworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    SHIELD not being around
    I kind of disagree with this. I hated the early 2000s status quo of that organization being up every hero's ass, all the time. It has it's place, but I hated that whole time period of them calling the shots for various super teams, people like Tony and Steve becoming the director...
    I don't want any of that back, personally. I like SHIELD better in their own corner, showing up randomly to help out with events, then retreating back to the shadows and doing their spy missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    I kind of disagree with this. I hated the early 2000s status quo of that organization being up every hero's ass, all the time. It has it's place, but I hated that whole time period of them calling the shots for various super teams, people like Tony and Steve becoming the director...
    I don't want any of that back, personally. I like SHIELD better in their own corner, showing up randomly to help out with events, then retreating back to the shadows and doing their spy missions.
    I prefer they be treated like any other team as far as appearances go. You shouldn't have SHIELD show-up every few issues anymore than the Avengers should show up multiple times a year in Spider-man or the Fantastic Four's books.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Overpowered Superhero gets grave-stomped by Uber Super Villain. Far more squishy Low Level Hero -- and sometimes their sidekick, Less Smart and More Inexperienced Hero -- survive to fight same Uber Super Villain, even though Uber Super Villain could wipe them out with a thought in hundredths of a second. Low Level Hero gains new power that takes them to same level as Overpowered Superhero that died, but Low Level Hero predictably wins. The end.

Pathetic.
    In others words you hate Batman and Robin too I guess

But seriously I can see where you are coming from. The Doctor Strange vs Spider-Man fight in No Way Home is a good example. Spider-Man only won it because of a random ass pull. He was totally out of his depth and it was pretty obvious. But I would say this is not an issue with Marvel or comics specially but a general fiction thing. Just have to take a look at fantasy settings where mages are pretty consistently the most powerful people in the setting for obvious reasons yet writers and game designers come up with all kind of ideas to actually reduce their influence so that that innocent farm boy who just picked up his fathers sword becomes the real hero of the story. I mean I get it many people enjoy a good underdog story but to me it often it just feels so artificial.

I actually have to applaud Star Wars for that because despite it's immense popularity it has retained that at the of the day it's all about different philosophies of Force users duking it out against each other. Everyone else is just supporting cast. Powerful Force users only get taken out by other powerful Force users.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    SHIELD not being around
    I got sick of that hellicarrier dropping out the sky every other month but now I do miss them.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Cosigning on Peter Parker, Johnny Storm, and the X-Men/mutants. As for S.H.I.E.L.D., the Ravencroft miniseries two years ago introduced a successor organization called J.A.N.U.S., after the literally two-faced god of Roman mythology, but other than G.W. Bridge as (former) S.H.I.E.L.D. rep, its leadership council was shown to be full of shady characters, so I would expect nothing good to come out of J.A.N.U.S. --- if J.A.N.U.S. would actually come out more beyond that last issue of Ravencroft. That said, yeah, we are going to need S.H.I.E.L.D. back as the (invisible) glue holding the Marvel Universe together.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Peter Parker never being allowed to grow up. The Phoenix Force belonging to anyone but Jean Grey or characters connected to her like Rachel or Hope Summers.

Peter Parker striking Mary Jane during Clone Saga. If this dreaded storyline is never gonna die, and least undo that horrific incident.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Peter Parker never being allowed to grow up. The Phoenix Force belonging to anyone but Jean Grey or characters connected to her like Rachel or Hope Summers.
    Cosigned on Peter, though throw in Johnny Storm of the Fantastic Four, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Peter Parker striking Mary Jane during Clone Saga. If this dreaded storyline is never gonna die, and least undo that horrific incident.
    Yeah, that would be nice. Whoever wrote that in the first place ought to be ashamed.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    In others words you hate Batman and Robin too I guess

But seriously I can see where you are coming from. The Doctor Strange vs Spider-Man fight in No Way Home is a good example. Spider-Man only won it because of a random ass pull. He was totally out of his depth and it was pretty obvious. But I would say this is not an issue with Marvel or comics specially but a general fiction thing. Just have to take a look at fantasy settings where mages are pretty consistently the most powerful people in the setting for obvious reasons yet writers and game designers come up with all kind of ideas to actually reduce their influence so that that innocent farm boy who just picked up his fathers sword becomes the real hero of the story. I mean I get it many people enjoy a good underdog story but to me it often it just feels so artificial.

I actually have to applaud Star Wars for that because despite it's immense popularity it has retained that at the of the day it's all about different philosophies of Force users duking it out against each other. Everyone else is just supporting cast. Powerful Force users only get taken out by other powerful Force users.
    I don't hate Batman, Robin, Punisher, Captain America, or even Wolverine. I just think it's time for the pendulum to swing the other direction.

Believe or not, it's precisely because it's such a common device that my tolerance for it is completely shot. Low Levels need to be reminded that they are only mortal at the end of the day. Miss me with the deus ex treatment. If that means that you have to maim and/or kill off a few of them the next time that Thanos, Knull, the Dreaming Celestial or whomever runs amok, so be it. The reward for Batman leaping into a kinetic altercation against a foe that can kill Superman should be massive bodily trauma and death for Bruce -- in one panel or less. Always.

Let's run with that logical narrative for the next 75+ years of comics publication and then see how it goes from there.

I mean, seriously, it's not like Batman's lore (or sales) would suffer, if all he fights are the Joker, Penguin, the Riddler, Bane, Killer Croc and the endlessly revolving door of mental healthcare patients, while periodically dipping his Batarang in whichever female villain his unimaginative writers prop up as his love interest. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.