Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's one thing that bugs me, multiple temporal paradoxes, and... they don't erase each other?
    As Spider-Man 2099 said to Peter Parker/Spider-Man at the end of Spider-Man: Edge of Time, "You want a five-hour lecture on temporal physics?"
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, they can be really inconsistent about whether or not everything is one timeline or multiple.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As Spider-Man 2099 said to Peter Parker/Spider-Man at the end of Spider-Man: Edge of Time, "You want a five-hour lecture on temporal physics?"
    I think that MU, in part and completely un0lanned by authors, follow Back to the future rules.
    In BttF even if Mrty screwed up his parents bonding, he did not disappeared instantly. Instead the more the time keep up with his timeline the more of his past disappear. Or better the less the chance for him or his siblings to be conceived the mor ether just go away. Disappear.
    I think that for multiple timeliness is the same, as well as for clairvoyants and future predictions, some alternative dying timelines derived by time reselling shenanigans keep on living in a limited window, as they are stuck in the same rough amount of year, a bubble, like a sort of scar tissue that will eventually fall off(example Age of Apocalypse, still existing but dying always in each of its declinations). Even memories get fuzzy after a while. Time traveller by the very nature remember longer but most people dealing with AU or time travellers eventually forget experiences and moments that never really happened(become like a sort of dream or vague memory, explain why Marty's parents do notice how similar he is to a certain mysterious stranger) as seen how many heroes kindn of forget certain cataclysmic events.
    Or so I have always perceived the MU.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    I think that MU, in part and completely un0lanned by authors, follow Back to the future rules.
    In BttF even if Mrty screwed up his parents bonding, he did not disappeared instantly. Instead the more the time keep up with his timeline the more of his past disappear. Or better the less the chance for him or his siblings to be conceived the mor ether just go away. Disappear.
    I think that for multiple timeliness is the same, as well as for clairvoyants and future predictions, some alternative dying timelines derived by time reselling shenanigans keep on living in a limited window, as they are stuck in the same rough amount of year, a bubble, like a sort of scar tissue that will eventually fall off(example Age of Apocalypse, still existing but dying always in each of its declinations). Even memories get fuzzy after a while. Time traveller by the very nature remember longer but most people dealing with AU or time travellers eventually forget experiences and moments that never really happened(become like a sort of dream or vague memory, explain why Marty's parents do notice how similar he is to a certain mysterious stranger) as seen how many heroes kindn of forget certain cataclysmic events.
    Zero Escape even pointed out that Marty technically replaced the rich!Marty as well. Shouldn’t there have been two Martys running around? Did rich!Marty just disappear into the aether?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    Makes about as much sense as anything, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Zero Escape even pointed out that Marty technically replaced the rich!Marty as well. Shouldn’t there have been two Martys running around? Did rich!Marty just disappear into the aether?
    Good question there, too.

people saying Reed Richards is the smartest man, then having him act like an idiot
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    people saying Reed Richards is the smartest man, then having him act like an idiot
    well, there are many kinds of intelligence. Reed has the book smarts one. He knows stuff about fields of theoretical physics that your average person doesn't even know the field of theoretical physics exists.

but... relating to someone who's unhappy with his building location choice? NOPE!

well, there are many kinds of intelligence. Reed has the book smarts one. He knows stuff about fields of theoretical physics that your average person doesn't even know the field of theoretical physics exists.

but... relating to someone who's unhappy with his building location choice? NOPE!
    Pretty much this. A lot of people lack emotional and/or social intelligence, so it's a common problem across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post
    STATUS QUOS I CAN'T STAND

Peter Parker remains as an unmarried loser bachelor

Mutants become endangered time and time again

Johnny Storm learns to act mature but after that, he becomes immature again. Rinse and repeat.
    This!

I mean i am not asking for Peter to become the second coming of Tony Stark like Slott try to do, but having do something more his speed and for god sakes let the man be happy! At this point i'll take anything from him getting back with Felicia. hooking up with Sable, dating Danvers but just let him have some love for crying out loud!

And Johnny? He is a grown ass man and should have gotten his shit together a long time ago and finally stop being a man whore, i frankly cheered when Doom messed him up after the wedding fiasco because he deserved that...he acts like a lesser version of his Ultimate counterpart who even after facing certain death still acted like an asshole.

I don't remember who said it, but I remember hearing somewhere that the best writers of the Fantastic Four realize that the smartest member of the team is actually Ben Grimm.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Pretty much this. A lot of people lack emotional and/or social intelligence, so it's a common problem across the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I don't remember who said it, but I remember hearing somewhere that the best writers of the Fantastic Four realize that the smartest member of the team is actually Ben Grimm.

so it's too much to ask for the smartest man to have both? Otherwise just say he's one of the smartest men, or the best quantum physicists, etc. Sure he's got an intellect far above the average person, but I'm not judging him based on that. He's supposed to stand above Ironman, Hank Pym, Black Panther, Batman, Lex Luthor, Dr. Doom, and Dinosaur Girl. All these other ridiculous geniuses.

But he doesn't realize when his wife is unhappy? The lack of foresight on Civil War, Worl War Hulk, Secret Invasion, etc., etc.

I get it the people who are writing these stories aren't geniuses so it might be a tall task, but dubbing someone the smartest man seemingly denotes a mastery of all types of intelligence.

Batman is the world's greatest detective I don't question that. Flash is the fastest. Hulk is the strongest etc. But Reed being the smartest, I think there is room for debate.

When you're the smartest you've got to live up to the name
    The J-man

That leads to another status quo that I think should never have been established in the first place: that Reed Richards is the smartest man in the world. I mean, he started out as a screw-up who didn't know as much about shielding as Ben Grimm. The origin of the FF is literally Reed Richards not knowing as much as Ben Grimm, but being absolutely convinced that he does. But then that got retconned out without any real explanation. What they should have done was roll with that, with Grimm being better at certain things, Richards being better at others, and even retconned in Sue and Johnny having their own specialties. The world's greatest science team rather than Richards and his sidekicks.

Now there's a status quo that needs to die. Sue, Johnny, and Ben have to distract the threat while Reed goes and makes whatever scientific doo-dad he needs to really defeat the main threat, or for that matter the general "Reed wants to go do science things and everybody else has to tag along."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The origin of the FF is literally Reed Richards not knowing as much as Ben Grimm, but being absolutely convinced that he does. But then that got retconned out without any real explanation. What they should have done was roll with that, with Grimm being better at certain things, Richards being better at others, and even retconned in Sue and Johnny having their own specialties. The world's greatest science team rather than Richards and his sidekicks.
    Agreed. I'm not sure I want the other three to be straight-up tech geniuses, but I'd love for them to have some other specialties that allow them to shine, with Johnny perhaps being more of a physical prodigy, able to handle piloting, and pretty much any physical sport, with some ease, and Sue being the sort of science expert that is so valuable in the real world, the one who can write the grant proposals and relate to the potential investors and manage projects so much better than the lab-rats who get lost in the theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    This!

I mean i am not asking for Peter to become the second coming of Tony Stark like Slott try to do, but having do something more his speed and for god sakes let the man be happy! At this point i'll take anything from him getting back with Felicia. hooking up with Sable, dating Danvers but just let him have some love for crying out loud!

And Johnny? He is a grown ass man and should have gotten his shit together a long time ago and finally stop being a man whore, i frankly cheered when Doom messed him up after the wedding fiasco because he deserved that...he acts like a lesser version of his Ultimate counterpart who even after facing certain death still acted like an asshole.
    Cosigned. While I am a supporter of the Peter/Mary Jane marriage, or at least an opposer of the incredibly morally and creatively bankrupt way in which Marvel saw fit to end it (a literal Faustian pact with the literal Devil, or a really good stand-in?), I wouldn't be opposed to the other pairings you've listed, either. As for Johnny, maybe I wasn't cheering, but I did think it could accomplish some good in the long term, at least if Marvel wouldn't once again go back on whatever lesson(s) Johnny learned from that debacle.

so it's too much to ask for the smartest man to have both? Otherwise just say he's one of the smartest men, or the best quantum physicists, etc. Sure he's got an intellect far above the average person, but I'm not judging him based on that. He's supposed to stand above Ironman, Hank Pym, Black Panther, Batman, Lex Luthor, Dr. Doom, and Dinosaur Girl. All these other ridiculous geniuses.

But he doesn't realize when his wife is unhappy? The lack of foresight on Civil War, Worl War Hulk, Secret Invasion, etc., etc.

I get it the people who are writing these stories aren't geniuses so it might be a tall task, but dubbing someone the smartest man seemingly denotes a mastery of all types of intelligence.

Batman is the world's greatest detective I don't question that. Flash is the fastest. Hulk is the strongest etc. But Reed being the smartest, I think there is room for debate.

When you're the smartest you've got to live up to the name
    Very true. Maybe he's the smartest when it comes to the sciences, but when it comes to people and dealing with them, especially those closest to him . . . yeah, that lack of emotional intelligence is increasingly troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    That leads to another status quo that I think should never have been established in the first place: that Reed Richards is the smartest man in the world. I mean, he started out as a screw-up who didn't know as much about shielding as Ben Grimm. The origin of the FF is literally Reed Richards not knowing as much as Ben Grimm, but being absolutely convinced that he does. But then that got retconned out without any real explanation. What they should have done was roll with that, with Grimm being better at certain things, Richards being better at others, and even retconned in Sue and Johnny having their own specialties. The world's greatest science team rather than Richards and his sidekicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Agreed. I'm not sure I want the other three to be straight-up tech geniuses, but I'd love for them to have some other specialties that allow them to shine, with Johnny perhaps being more of a physical prodigy, able to handle piloting, and pretty much any physical sport, with some ease, and Sue being the sort of science expert that is so valuable in the real world, the one who can write the grant proposals and relate to the potential investors and manage projects so much better than the lab-rats who get lost in the theory.
    Generally cosigned on the Fantastic Four. I'd like to see Johnny as an automotive genius, in that he has a deep, intuitive understanding of how various kinds of (sea, air, land, and space) vehicles work and how to make them work. Sue being not just a scientific genius but also the resident social expert who can break down the science in ways that more if not most people could understand would work, too.