Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Generally cosigned on the Fantastic Four. I'd like to see Johnny as an automotive genius, in that he has a deep, intuitive understanding of how various kinds of (sea, air, land, and space) vehicles work and how to make them work. Sue being not just a scientific genius but also the resident social expert who can break down the science in ways that more if not most people could understand would work, too.
    Yeah, modern stories often overlook WHY Reed took them with on his test flight.... they were smart enough to be useful assistants.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, modern stories often overlook WHY Reed took them with on his test flight.... they were smart enough to be useful assistants.
    Uh-huh, which is a real shame.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's cause a lot of people believe that Reed can't really be the smartest on Earth without singlehandedly making all other smart people irrelevant. It can be cartoonish at times.

It doesn't help that people view geniuses as though they'd be good at everything. They could've easily explained why Reed could never cure Ben because he's simply not a medical doctor.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It's cause a lot of people believe that Reed can't really be the smartest on Earth without singlehandedly making all other smart people irrelevant. It can be cartoonish at times.

It doesn't help that people view geniuses as though they'd be good at everything. They could've easily explained why Reed could never cure Ben because he's simply not a medical doctor.
    That is one thing that his driven me crazy about Marvel for decades. The "super" scientist. No one should be a genius in every field, and yet that is the way a lot of writers treat them. Each one should have a field they are the best in and maybe some general knowledge of another or two. I always hated the FF plots that would just have Reed pull some device out of his ass at the last minute to fix everything if it had anything to do with his actual knowledge or not.

Remember when Reed had to get Dr. Octopus's help because Doc Ock new more about radiation and how it affected people than he did?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Remember when Reed had to get Dr. Octopus's help because Doc Ock new more about radiation and how it affected people than he did?
    That was an amazing issue. That is the way ot should be. You have a genetic problem you call someone like Beast. You have a radiation problem you call someone like Ock or Banner and so on.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is one thing that his driven me crazy about Marvel for decades. The "super" scientist. No one should be a genius in every field, and yet that is the way a lot of writers treat them. Each one should have a field they are the best in and maybe some general knowledge of another or two. I always hated the FF plots that would just have Reed pull some device out of his ass at the last minute to fix everything if it had anything to do with his actual knowledge or not.
    Yup. Richards, Stark, Pym, all seem to be ridiculous multi-disciplinarians. Pym alone. Particle physics! AI! Entomology! What do these things have in common?

I can barely fanon a connection between his entomology studies and the computer parallel processing (mimicing insect 'hive mind' communication) that led to 'transferring memory engrams' and Ultron's AI, but then there's Pym particles, which are just like, 'waah?'

Stark used to be all mechanics, and it was suggested that his focus was part of why 'Arno Stark' was different with his focus on computer-controlled armor, but now Tony is all super-computer-hijinks and creating his own AI as well, so it's like 'ooh, smart guy stuff, I can do that, too! Stand back Gilligan!'

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Too many demons and devils, not enough angels...or characters powered by divine beings on the good side of the aisle. And no, I'm not talking about that pseudo-Norse crap that they concocted to shoehorn Angela into Marvel's continuum.

Hmm, yeah, those are good points there. It's one thing to have a wide range of knowledge or learning --- the definition of a polymath in real life --- but being on that super-genius-level in everything scientific really does stretch if not break the bounds of suspension of disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Too many demons and devils, not enough angels...or characters powered by divine beings on the good side of the aisle. And no, I'm not talking about that pseudo-Norse crap that they concocted to shoehorn Angela into Marvel's continuum.
    I think that's because Marvel is scared that they'd end up getting American Christians mad at them by having explicitly angelic beings or beings otherwise associated with angels or Heaven fighting as or alongside superheroes.

Extraordinary Member

That symbiotes can do whatever the **** they need to.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think that's because Marvel is scared that they'd end up getting American Christians mad at them by having explicitly angelic beings or beings otherwise associated with angels or Heaven fighting as or alongside superheroes.
    Tony Isabella introduced a Christ-like being known as "Friend" in Ghost Rider many moons ago, but Marvel later said it was just another devil pretending to be good for some nefarius reason.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Tony Isabella introduced a Christ-like being known as "Friend" in Ghost Rider many moons ago, but Marvel later said it was just another devil pretending to be good for some nefarius reason.
    I remember that. That was a shame.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Demons and other evil beings can be portrayed as pretty much anything, but there are lots of people that will take issue with how angels, heroes, and other beings of good are portrayed because they’re worried that it can never be done justice.

It’s like how it’s hard for there to be adaptations of Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Demons and other evil beings can be portrayed as pretty much anything, but there are lots of people that will take issue with how angels, heroes, and other beings of good are portrayed because they’re worried that it can never be done justice.

It’s like how it’s hard for there to be adaptations of Superman.
    Also some writer/editors seemingly just don't want to write anything.... theistic.

Marvel's take on Thor is.. um... unique... to say the least. Many Thor writers utterly ignore mythology.