Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wait, how many times has this happened?
    I remember it beginning with Immortal Iron Fist when Danny's predecessor popped up. Each time he has a designated successor has powers went away with it. Given how the Iron Fist powers work there can't be any co-existence.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Too late. That kind of already happened in Hellions by Zeb Wells.

As for the X-Men/mutants being at war with everybody else, that's only because everybody else is either at war with them or pointedly ignoring that there is a war going on at all so they can lecture from a proverbial moral high horse. In relation, a status quo I'd like to see die is humankind being so over-the-top bigoted toward mutants they collectively countenance repeated attempts at genocide against mutants that have done nothing but alienate even the more heroic among them from the human race in general. If Marvel wanted readers to feel that there was hope for peace, love, and mutual understanding between humans and mutants, then the stories should have a bit more nuance than just portraying humans on the whole as irredeemable bigots who'll do anything to eradicate mutants and will consistently spit in mutants' eyes (proverbially if not literally speaking) no matter how many times teams like the X-Men save their lives. Of course, 21st-century Marvel's idea of "nuance" is making everyone on both sides an @$$hole so there's no reason to root for anyone except whoever readers happen to like better or identify with more, and at some point(s), those readers might well end up wishing both sides would take each other out and leave everyone else alone.
    A lot of these conflicts tend to be over the dumbest things and only exist for drama. Like plot cloud killing mutants, everything about Avengers vs X-Men, this new conflict with the Eternals with mutants having been Deviants all along. I await the next crossover event where the Avengers take issue with how X-men enjoy their coffee.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    And the Xmen already have sources for said atrocities. Well... Essex already started committing atrocities actually. He's been using clones of Moira to send messages to his past self. This of course requires killing the clones.... repeatedly
    Interesting.

Also worth noting is the alarming rate at which the X-men continue to embrace serial killers and mass murderers, never really punishing them for their crimes. Sure, philosophically speaking everyone deserves a second chance for forgiveness, redemption, or whatever. But from a societal and justice standpoint, no, not everyone needs to be given an outright pass for their transgressions, especially if it involves the taking of multiple lives. A civil society has to hold citizens accountable and mete out punishment in full, no matter how severe. But with the X-Men it's like, "It's ok if he butchered hundreds in cold blood, he's on our side now -- so it's not completely ok, but it kinda is. We beat him up, but he joined us, so it's perfectly fine now."

That practice needs to stop. True of all villains.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Interesting.

Also worth noting is the alarming rate at which the X-men continue to embrace serial killers and mass murderers, never really punishing them for their crimes. Sure, philosophically speaking everyone deserves a second chance for forgiveness, redemption, or whatever. But from a societal and justice standpoint, no, not everyone needs to be given an outright pass for their transgressions, especially if it involves the taking of multiple lives. A civil society has to hold citizens accountable and mete out punishment in full, no matter how severe. But with the X-Men it's like, "It's ok if he butchered hundreds in cold blood, he's on our side now -- so it's not completely ok, but it kinda is. We beat him up, but he joined us, so it's perfectly fine now."

I have said for years the only way to salvage the X-Men as not just being blind racists willing to overlook any atrocity just because "We all Mutants" is if it is revealed at some point that Xavier and others have been subtly influencing everyone on Krakoa since the start to accept all mutants no matter how evil or what horrible things they did in the past. It is the only way a lot of them even agreeing to be there works. When you can be walking around and run into the person who literally killed you in cold blood or who killed your friends and family and they don't go after them? It has to be mind control or some kind to keep things calm.

Otherwise it is just piss poor writing.

Ultimate Member

That's not a status quo. Hell, it only happened once and Marvel has never mentioned it again afterwards.
    Yeah, Reed sending 'cape-killers' after Sue during Civil War, or zapping or experimenting on Franklin multiple times at various times, or Peter smacking MJ barely ever get mentioned enough to count as a status quo.

Hank Pym smacking Janet, on the other hand, gets trotted out so often he might as well change his name to Hank I-Hit-Janet Pym.

The only reason it hasn't been mentioned in recent memory is because he's been dead for years.

people referring to Blade as a vampire
    The J-man

Amazing Member

Aunt May being alive

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Interesting.

I don't see how Wolverine hasn't killed Magneto considering what happened when he had the adamantium ripped from his skeleton.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, Reed sending 'cape-killers' after Sue during Civil War, or zapping or experimenting on Franklin multiple times at various times, or Peter smacking MJ barely ever get mentioned enough to count as a status quo.

Hank Pym smacking Janet, on the other hand, gets trotted out so often he might as well change his name to Hank I-Hit-Janet Pym.

The only reason it hasn't been mentioned in recent memory is because he's been dead for years.
    I wonder how they will handle that in the new mini series coming out in June. I hope it just gets ignored. I hope it's in good hands with Al Ewing.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-02-2022 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Peter has to be unhappy and poor and acts like a kid even though by this point he is one of earths most experienced heroes. (he single handily outsmarted thanos when the avengers, thing and captain marvel couldn't in the marvel two in one era!)
    What issue was that? I didn't even know Spidey even met Thanos before Infinity Gauntlet.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Secret identities itself is fine, but there's a fine line of preserving it from really important supporting cast members. Like with Ms. Marvel, I hated that Saladin Ahmed's first arc saw him have Kamala's dad learn her secret only to immediately hit the retcon button at the end of the arc.

Looking over at Spider-Man, the Beyond arc has really broken my suspension of disbelief where Peter wound up hospitalized twice in this storyline and had to come up with a BS excuse to explain to Aunt May why he was in the hospital. Why is the status quo of Aunt May being kept in the dark so important? Hell, looking back during BND it even came across as scummy that even though Marvel was gung ho about pushing Carlie Cooper is the new "the one" Peter kept bending over backwards to lie about who he was, even going as far as to pretend to be clumsy to make himself more endearing to her.
    It's also funny that Peter says that he wants Carlie to want him for "who he is", yet he does the clumsy **** like he's Clark Kent lol.

Peter being in the hospital and aunt May not suspecting it is fine, but it's weird the hospital can't tell something is up since his blood has radiation by default, not to mention that Beyond talks like they don't know that Peter is Spidey, when they really should know lol.

I agree that it would be next to impossible for someone who had to physically change into a costume and don a mask in a public place to keep their identity secret. The world's population has doubled since the 1960s and I read somewhere that upwards of 96% of the people in urban areas have cell phones. If they didn't catch Spidey changing, someone would definitely catch him webbing from a common locus and track his route based on his most common appearances and frequent point of origin. Adn don't even get me started on the various ways that government agencies can track a routinely public individual in an urban area, if they have a mind to do so.
    Even old comics have pointed out that Spidey has predictable patterns when he swings around, and it wasn't even government agents doing that, it was just a bunch of college kids.

Plot armor is the only reason he still has a secret identity, Spidey is really incompetent otherwise lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I guess I should be happy sentient AI never became a race like it was suppose to because the X-men would have went to war with them too.
    They killed a sentient AI in Hellions specifically to not go to war with them, they're terrified of those lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Too late. That kind of already happened in Hellions by Zeb Wells.

As for the X-Men/mutants being at war with everybody else, that's only because everybody else is either at war with them or pointedly ignoring that there is a war going on at all so they can lecture from a proverbial moral high horse. In relation, a status quo I'd like to see die is humankind being so over-the-top bigoted toward mutants they collectively countenance repeated attempts at genocide against mutants that have done nothing but alienate even the more heroic among them from the human race in general. If Marvel wanted readers to feel that there was hope for peace, love, and mutual understanding between humans and mutants, then the stories should have a bit more nuance than just portraying humans on the whole as irredeemable bigots who'll do anything to eradicate mutants and will consistently spit in mutants' eyes (proverbially if not literally speaking) no matter how many times teams like the X-Men save their lives. Of course, 21st-century Marvel's idea of "nuance" is making everyone on both sides an @$$hole so there's no reason to root for anyone except whoever readers happen to like better or identify with more, and at some point(s), those readers might well end up wishing both sides would take each other out and leave everyone else alone.
    This method of "both sides are assholes" is the worst thing Civil War has started.

Like, in old comics we could have heroes being petty assholes and starting fights because of it, but it was at worst just creating pointless conflict for a brief fight, and maybe they would be in friendly terms afterwards, or at least, agree to not meet again, now this post Civil War style of conflict has both sides such a bunch of unlikable assholes it can make the reader want neither side to win.

Worst thing is that fanboyism helps to keep this kind of conflict around, we had people taking sides and going against the other teams, instead of being more against the writers and editors for coming up with those stupid plots to begin with, and there are fans detesting the other team 'cause of that, look at how many X-Men fans fucking hate the Avengers because of these conflicts lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't see how Wolverine hasn't killed Magneto considering what happened when he had the adamantium ripped from his skeleton.
    At some level Wolverine is a warrior with a code of honor. He gets that what Magneto did to him was in the heat of battle. Outside that arena, I don't know that Wolverine would allow himself to be petty or vindictive. If so, Sabretooth would have died long ago. And many others as well. Wolverine has a long list of people that tried to kill him in battle walking around the planet.

FWIW, once the adamantium had been ripped from Wolverine, Magneto could have killed him. But he didn't. I mentioned in another thread how easy it is to kill someone with a healing factor. Given that Logan's body had more holes in it than a cheese grater once Magneto forced adamantium through all of his bodily orifices and pores, all Magneto had to do at that point was toss Wolvie into the void of space and let him die from hypoxia (shock). But writers want to keep guys like Wolvie around, so I get it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Reed never got the kind of backlash he should have for Civil War. Helping create Clor, building a prison in one of the most dangerous places in the universe, and all the other really shitting things he did. He should have been a pariah for years after that event.

Hell, MJ learned that Peter was Spider-Man just by seeing him leave his house in costume.
    Correct. Definitely a classic moment that should never be discarded (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    What issue was that? I didn't even know Spidey even met Thanos before Infinity Gauntlet.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-02-2022 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Reed never got the kind of backlash he should have for Civil War. Helping create Clor, building a prison in one of the most dangerous places in the universe, and all the other really shitting things he did. He should have been a pariah for years after that event.
    When Reed sent cape-killers after Sue, Johnny and Ben, over some political disagreement over a law that technically wasn't even approved yet, I felt like it was potentially ripe with dramatic storytelling opportunities (particularly when it was soft retconned that Reed got played by the Mad Thinker into thinking that statistics supported the notion) and repercussions and stuff.

And then Didio was asked about that causing problems long-term for Reed and Sue's marriage and replied, 'Nah, he'll cook her dinner or something and she'll go back to him.' Yikes.

I try not to dislike characters based on mandated actions that don't make much sense for them, since the blame should lie with the writers, but I'm more likely to give a pass to characters I already like a little bit like Pym or Wanda or Emma for sketchy actions in-story. I guess we all have our favorites.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    To me, everyone on the pro-registration side that didn't defect should have been in that same boat. Alas, the need to revert to status quo, or something close enough to it, once Dark Reign was over, had them all allowed to be brought back into the fold as if nothing majorly bad happened. No wonder Tom Foster (whose Uncle Bill was killed by Clor) was pissed enough to go off and join the Revengers assembled by Wonder Man during his more psychotic phase to "hold the Avengers accountable."
    The spider is always on the hunt.