Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I prefer that.

And jargon like "tactile telekinesis" bugs me for some reason. It seems low effort to use that psychic jargon. I'd rather super-heroes have jargon related to their individual characters. Batman doesn't have a black car, he has a Batmobile. The Flash uses the Speed Force. I seem to recall in the old days that J'Onn had powers like Martian Vision. Superman's powers should be Super-Something.

Nothing wrong with calling something by its name, and tactile telekinesis is badass, ask everyone lol.

Oh and TTK was just kons, until they started using the term for everyone with a field around their bodies.

For superman I see the sun starting a fusion reaction in every molecule in his body, which fuels his physical abilities, but also fuels his minds abilities. It's like breathing or any other natural body process for a kryptonian
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Wouldn't Kon be 50% what a Kryptonian is unless his genetic material were wed to comparable or superlative stock?

When you have Jon getting all his dads powers, plus his extra amp ability, and you have Invincible getting all his dads powers, at 100%,then I don't agree with the argument that kon has to, or should have only 50%.

Remember when kon was new in the 90s he only had TTK, and his kryptonian powers were either non existent or so low it didn't matter, well I see young boy Jon being the same way, only diffemrce is Jons extra ability is to amp his powers, so the barely there powers he had he could boost to kryptonian levels. We thought he got his powers early, but in reality he was amping the very low level or almost non existent powers. That's why he could still get bloody knees and stuff and the next race his dad.

Young Hybrids get there extra power 1st,kons was TTK and Jons was AMP.

Mayne they both have slightly weaker kryptonian powers even now, but use their extra powers to seem just as powerful, and someday even more powerful.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

I ask because I thought it cropped up once in something by Byrne. I remember thinking it was odd and not what usually happens.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Wouldn't Kon be 50% what a Kryptonian is unless his genetic material were wed to comparable or superlative stock?
    I agree that Kon or Jon should not be as powerful as a full bred kryptonian. Doesn't make sense for him to be. Also, I don't think any normal human could take a kryptonian to term, but that might just be me. So for me, Lois can be married but.......anything else like pregnancy would create too many problems for her. I know the writers don't think much on these concepts, but it pretty much throws me out of the story when it does. I won't touch anything with Jon, son of Kal-El, in it because of this. And yes I know these are fictional/fantasy characters.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Superman can't have psychic powers, but Martians can have super strength, leave the super strength to the Kryptonians. I'm not saying that Superman's psychic power has to be on a par with his other powers, but it could be a complement, an explanation to some of his powers.
    He can. He can have two heads even. But he better not have brown skin or else the internet explodes about how that is NOT Supes. So he can any powers ever, or all of them, and still be Superman regardless of how much that deviates from his documented design. So long as he appears White the internet will be okay.

Astonishing Member

He can. He can have two heads even. But he better not have brown skin or else the internet explodes about how that is NOT Supes. So he can any powers ever, or all of them, and still be Superman regardless of how much that deviates from his documented design. So long as he appears White the internet will be okay.
    President Superman from Earth-23 seems to have jumped that shark just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    President Superman from Earth-23 seems to have jumped that shark just fine.
    I don't think so because you had characters after Superman and before Superman that one might think serves to distinguish it from Superman. But maybe I misread though.

I ask because I thought it cropped up once in something by Byrne. I remember thinking it was odd and not what usually happens.

No idea about the Bryne reference.

There was superboy Jr back in the day, he was exaclty half as powerful as his dad.

Cir-el was weaker, jumped

YJ kon-el also weaker and jumps

Comic kon after he got into teen titans got all the powers and seemed to be as powerful or close.

Same for Jon.

We know kons going to get full TK powers, and we knkw Jon will be able to do huge fears in future state.

My point is thst Hybrids are altered, that st mental energy thst is built up and becomes a aura around them gets mutated. Kons is TK (mental), Jons is AMP by emotion (mental).

Cir-el was red sunburst, notice she still absorbed yellow sun light, but she could change it to red.

Back to Superhearing

Remember during the new 52 and lobdell was writing superman, Clark heard a monster coming, but used it to actually see it in his mind. That should help you understand how is power works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I still think the man is actually a quantum level psychic, subconsciously pulling the strings of physics to suit him and manifesting it mostly in physical augmentations only because that's what Clark himself believes his powers are.
    Now THIS is an interesting idea with lots of implied story possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    This is why Imo kryptonian Superhearing is part natural and part psychic. Bryne, to 90s superboys TTK, to new 52 superboys whole powerset(which is the concept taken to the extreme)..he hears (and sees) as far or as good as physics will allow, the rest is a remote viewing/psychic sensitivity. It works, doesn't matter if those believe it doesmt "feel" like superman. Same with half his physical powers, his bio aura lends invulnerability,lifting anything, flight, and in my opinion heat vision and super breath (super fusion cells being pushed out by the aura, and super lungs being pushed out by his bio aura.
    Superman has all of daredevils super senses, just Suped up to another level. Daredevils radar sense is like new 52s superboys TTK sense, where he could sense thru micro vibrations everywhere.

Kryptonian powers are half physical (golden age like) and half passive mental powers (flight, invulnerability, lift better) and a combo of the 2 for super lungs to super breath,and solar fusion cells to heat vision.
    He only actually hears what can be actually scientifically heard, what he is doing after that is passively using psychic abilities to "hear" farther than that,even though it's not physically hearing after that kind of distance, more sensing it and believing he is hearing it.
    Guys it's psychic, but it's all passive abilities, he doesnt. Control them, like kon does, you guys are worried about to much,superman can't and won't be a full blown TK user.

Now kon it's possible, they changed the aura to TK, so he actually consciously does control his aura.
    The door was opened by Brynes bio field explanation decades ago,and the speed force and the non green lanterns are already ideas that are not leaving, I get thst you want it a certain way, but DC green lit them all and now they are a part of the characters we love.

Bryne said it was a electromagnetic field thst let him do the things that were harder to explain, and during the new 52 the psycho pirate said superman was bursting with psychic energy, so it's a thing being used decades apart.it was left vague for a reason, they didn't want a future writer thinking he could change superman into a full blown psychic powerhouse.

Kryptonians are the most evolved species in the universe to me, they are physically gods, use their sun as a power source,it only stands to reason that their minds would also be evolved. The field thst Bryne called electromagnetic is really just psychic energy his mind creates constantly.

I don't mind DC keeping his powers vague, but they are explainable, they are not some big mystery to never be solved, but it's up to DC to decide what they do with it.

BTW I think Martian manhunter should be mentally able to control every atom in his body, meaning his strength should come from his ability to alter himself, not a TK field of some kind.

Kon has kryptonian powers, maybe slightly weaker, but also TK powers, they work only when he focuses on them, and when he does he can do everything a kryptonian can do and more.pluses would be more versatilty, negatives would be withoit focus he is weaker
    Nothing wrong with calling something by its name, and tactile telekinesis is badass, ask everyone lol.

Oh and TTK was just kons, until they started using the term for everyone with a field around their bodies.

For superman I see the sun starting a fusion reaction in every molecule in his body, which fuels his physical abilities, but also fuels his minds abilities. It's like breathing or any other natural body process for a kryptonian
    When you have Jon getting all his dads powers, plus his extra amp ability, and you have Invincible getting all his dads powers, at 100%,then I don't agree with the argument that kon has to, or should have only 50%.

Remember when kon was new in the 90s he only had TTK, and his kryptonian powers were either non existent or so low it didn't matter, well I see young boy Jon being the same way, only diffemrce is Jons extra ability is to amp his powers, so the barely there powers he had he could boost to kryptonian levels. We thought he got his powers early, but in reality he was amping the very low level or almost non existent powers. That's why he could still get bloody knees and stuff and the next race his dad.

Young Hybrids get there extra power 1st,kons was TTK and Jons was AMP.

Mayne they both have slightly weaker kryptonian powers even now, but use their extra powers to seem just as powerful, and someday even more powerful.
    No idea about the Bryne reference.

There was superboy Jr back in the day, he was exaclty half as powerful as his dad.

Cir-el was weaker, jumped

YJ kon-el also weaker and jumps

Comic kon after he got into teen titans got all the powers and seemed to be as powerful or close.

Same for Jon.

We know kons going to get full TK powers, and we knkw Jon will be able to do huge fears in future state.

My point is thst Hybrids are altered, that st mental energy thst is built up and becomes a aura around them gets mutated. Kons is TK (mental), Jons is AMP by emotion (mental).

Cir-el was red sunburst, notice she still absorbed yellow sun light, but she could change it to red.

Back to Superhearing

Remember during the new 52 and lobdell was writing superman, Clark heard a monster coming, but used it to actually see it in his mind. That should help you understand how is power works.

Just saying

Fantastic Member

I will never understand why some think Superman is too powerful!! They act like he overpowered all the villains and some of the other heroes he sometime has too fights. He gets his butt kicked regularly, Superman even loses to those who are a lot less powerful than him. Their are a lot of supervillains that are a lot more powerful than Superman. It seen like some just like seeing him depowered and weak. Serving as a punching bag! I have never understood why the villain can be so powerful and the hero has to be weak!! Oh! and that take his are her powers away when ever we can.
    Last edited by lotchj; 04-05-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I will never understand why some think Superman is too powerful!! They act like he overpowered all the villains and some of the other heroes he sometime has too fights. He gets his butt kicked regularly, Superman even loses to those who are a lot less powerful than him. Their are a lot of supervillains that are a lot more powerful than Superman. It seen like some just like seeing him depowered and weak. Serving as a punching bag! I have never understood why the villain can be so powerful and the hero has to be weak!! Oh! and that take his are her powers away when ever we can.

Agree with this totally. I think some just want a good man to be taken down, says more about them Imo

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    To be fair I never wanted Superman to be the only one with the powers scaled back a bit. I hated the Legion having a fully empowered Mon-El flitting through time and space when Byrne had reduced Superman to needing a space-suit. I'd want Superman to still be the top of the heap for Earth heroes (excluding guys like the Spectre or Anti-Monitor), so if Superman got scaled back so would Brainiac, other Kryptonians, Dazamites, the Shazam Family ....

To be fair I never wanted Superman to be the only one with the powers scaled back a bit. I hated the Legion having a fully empowered Mon-El flitting through time and space when Byrne had reduced Superman to needing a space-suit. I'd want Superman to still be the top of the heap for Earth heroes (excluding guys like the Spectre or Anti-Monitor), so if Superman got scaled back so would Brainiac, other Kryptonians, Dazamites, the Shazam Family ....

And that's where the problem will ALWAYS lie, he would be scaled back, but other writers for other characters wouldnt do their part and scale back ALL the other characters, so it's a great idea, but until DC can do that with everyone, and keep it in check with all of them, it will never happen, and shouldn't

Retired

If the Legion is in the 30th century, then I don't see why it should matter that some super-heroes have increased power levels.

I can think of reasons why Superman's powers could fluctuate--for the sake of stories where writers need to de-power him--that then allows for other stories where he can be more powerful than anyone in the universe.

For writers wanting to start the Man of Steel from the beginning, I can understand why they might want to commence with him having lower power levels as he did in 1938. Then as time passes his powers increase. That seems what John Byrne wanted to do with Superman. But not everything was under his control. And so the ongoing series has to take place about five years after Superman has become a public figure. Ideally, Byrne and Wolfman would have been allowed to write about Clark and Lois from their early days at the Planet and build toward his more spectacular power levels.

Once we get into the Jurgens era, Superman's powers do increase. So that seems a reasonable arc for the character.