Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Having Scott and Jean interacting with their children from the future

It's lame and totally awkward IMHO. As reader, HONESTLY, I'm not engaged or pleased by these unrealistic human dynamics.

Please, don't get me wrong. That's just my personal opinion. So forgive me, if you feel offended.

I mean, we got:

Cable
    Prestige/Rachel Summers
    X-Man
    Stryfe (in some ways)

They are all "children" of Scott and Jean. Having Scott and Jean interacting with (their) children who bear THE VERY SAME AGE OF THEIR PARENTS is very cringe-worthy.
    It's not cool, or engaging, having stories with this weird and embarassing interaction.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 04-01-2022 at 07:12 AM.

I think it can be a cool dynamic, something you don't usually see. It certainly doesn't make me cringe. Though, I will admit, my favorite Scott/Cable relationship has been when he was young Cable.

Nope. Not offended at all. It’s a weird dynamic. I enjoyed it back in the 90s though, precisely because it was awkward. Especially between Scott, Jean and Cable. With Rachel they both just pretty much did not acknowledge her as their daughter for the longest time, and there was even some thought that Rachel might be Jean’s daughter but not Scott’s… but I think they later did confirm that she is indeed Scott’s.

As for X-man and Stryfe, I don’t recall any bonding moments between them. In the case of X-man, there was more of a weird and almost incestuous-in-tone relationship with Cable’s birth mother, Maddie Pryor.

Regardless, I get it. I don’t mind seeing it acknowledged that Cable is Scott and Jean’s son from the future, but I don’t exactly want to see them having Sunday dinners as a family either. I much prefer the father-daughter relationship between Cable and Hope since he rescued her as an infant and raised her as his own for 17 years.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Relationship Drama = X-MEN

My bread. My butter. My sammy. Nom Nom.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Relationship Drama = X-MEN

My bread. My butter. My sammy. Nom Nom.
    Yep. Plus it's fun and a bit interesting to have gruff old Cable relieve a bit of a lost childhood with his idealistic parents.
    Also I have less a problem with it because for me the O5 are in their lates 30s so their interactions with Rachel or Nate don't bother me that much.

With Cable, I find it rather interesting. They have a real connection with him. They raised him for a good part of his childhood and one of Scott's biggest regrets is not having been there to see him grow up. Duggan conveyed that well in his run with young Cable.

Less a fan of Rachel (the concept and not the character itself) who does not belong to this timeline and other clones derived from Cable.

I actually liked that at the start of the Hickman era we had Kid Cable and the Summers family together. It gave a modern more family (ala the Richards F4). I prefer Daddy Cable but this was refreshing and added to the Krakoan changes in the Hickman era.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Extraordinary Member

I also find it awkward most times. Like some other relations, these are best if not always present but can be used when characters eventually cross paths.

Sometimes it is more the writers portrayal than the nature of the relationship. Brisson's (and Rosenberg's) young Cable was pretty cool when he crossed paths with his dad (and others) but Duggan/Hickman just do nothing for me with their stories.

Astonishing Member

I wish the interactions were not so much 'reunions' with mature children told in summary form but real parenting scenarios over the course of years , like happened with young cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Nope. Not offended at all. It’s a weird dynamic. I enjoyed it back in the 90s though, precisely because it was awkward. Especially between Scott, Jean and Cable.
    Me too. Their interactions were gold (IMHO):

With Rachel they both just pretty much did not acknowledge her as their daughter for the longest time, and there was even some thought that Rachel might be Jean’s daughter but not Scott’s… but I think they later did confirm that she is indeed Scott’s.
    I know Jean couldn't handle it, but I thought Scott was (sort of) okay with it?

As for X-man and Stryfe, I don’t recall any bonding moments between them. In the case of X-man, there was more of a weird and almost incestuous-in-tone relationship with Cable’s birth mother, Maddie Pryor.
    Yeah! I remember one interaction between Nate & Jean from the '90s (X-Man #25):

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-01-2022 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

I think it depends on how it's done. I found the family dynamic with Cyclops, Jean, Kid Cable and Rachel in the early days of Krakoa pretty forced. I particularly didn't enjoy the issue of X-Men where Cyclops, Kid Cable and Rachel discovered the Arak Coral - it felt quite cheesy and unearned, like Hickman had just decided how he wanted the characters to interact rather than considering their history and previous connections. That being said, I have the same problem with a lot of things from the outset of the Krakoa era.

I have no problem with the concept and it's a very X-Men kind of dynamic to throw into the mix - time travel and complicated relationships are on brand. I really like both Cable and Rachel as characters and I think both are beyond their parentage being their defining trait, so as long as it's handled well, I see it as a positive even if it doesn't necessarily need to be a focus anymore.

Now I wanna see Ruby Summers in the present more than ever.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Unrealistic? As opposed to people shooting lasers out of their eyes and reading minds?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant 77 View Post
    It's lame and totally awkward IMHO. As reader, HONESTLY, I'm not engaged or pleased by these unrealistic human dynamics.

Please, don't get me wrong. That's just my personal opinion. So forgive me, if you feel offended.

I mean, we got:

Cable
    Prestige/Rachel Summers
    X-Man
    Stryfe (in some ways)

They are all "children" of Scott and Jean. Having Scott and Jean interacting with (their) children who bear THE VERY SAME AGE OF THEIR PARENTS is very cringe-worthy.
    It's not cool, or engaging, having stories with this weird and embarassing interaction.
    "Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave?"

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I actually liked that at the start of the Hickman era we had Kid Cable and the Summers family together. It gave a modern more family (ala the Richards F4). I prefer Daddy Cable but this was refreshing and added to the Krakoan changes in the Hickman era.
    I agree, I actually preferred Kid Cable to the original and thought it made more sense to have him interacting with Scott/Jean as parental figures at that age. Generally though I don't care for kid from the future characters, I'm sure there are good stories that can be told about Rachel but I've damn sure never read one so she always comes across "Ugh, why are you here?" to me. I don't need to see Scott or Jean interact with her, I too would like to forget she exists. Same for Old Man Cable most of the time but he's easy to ignore since he's usually in a barely-tangentially-related satellite book. I'm sure Ewing will make me care about him though.