Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default The DCU Fan Fiction Workshop!

This is something we've had some fun with over on the Superman Board, so I figured we might as well give this a try over here.

If you are a hard-core DCU fan, chances are you've either thought up or jotted down one of your own stories at some point or another. Not necessarily because you think DC will ever publish them, but just because you love scratching that particular creative itch. Well, this is the place you can share it with others if you so choose.

Now, I understand this may be a bit nerve-wracking for some of you. While we may have no problem discussing and criticizing the minutiae of professional creator's work, showing your work is a very different proposition. However, this isn't going to be a place where your work is going to be judged too harshly. Our guiding principle on this thread is to provide feedback and criticism about what works and what can be improved, rather than how bad something may or may not be. The goal is to help, not to ridicule and anyone doing so won't be welcome here.

Here's the general guidelines for anyone who wants to participate.

1) DON'T POST YOUR FULL WORK HERE. This will just lead to walls and walls of impenetrable text that will make navigating posts cumbersome. Simply post a link to your work using Google Docs or something so that people can read your work on its own.

2) Along with a link to your work, post a PITCH for any potential readers of a few sentences. Don't spoil anything, but give us an idea of what kind of story you're telling. Think of it like a 10 to 15 second commercial trying to entice readers.

3) KEEP IT PG-13. Sorry, but this is not the place to post your Erotic Adventures of Constantine and the Pleasure Planet of The Super-Twinks fan fic. This should generally be stuff that anyone can read. If you want to share something more adult, I'm sure there's other places on the internet for that.

That's it! Remember to have fun and, if you post your own work, please try to read other's and give them some kind of constructive feed back about what you liked, but also about what didn't work for you.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...3_HDoRePk/edit

THE PITCH: What if, following the divisive reaction to the BvS, Warner Bros. had the time, money, and studio leadership to course correct their Justice League production without the subsequent cluster&*#%? This is intended to not only feel like a proper continuation of the prior films, but also refocus the DCEU towards a brighter, less dour tone by re-contextualizing what has come before in a way that hopefully feels satisfying to all DC fans.

Please enjoy JUSTICE LEAGUE REDUX!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'll definitely be giving that a read.

Interestingly, just before this thread started, I had just removed the link to my fan comic from my signature. But anyway, my Legion of Superheroes fan comic is here:
    https://www.deviantart.com/drakeb300...-a-legionnaire
    I'm thinking to move it to a different site where the reading experience would be better, but I'm not sure of which one to use.
    Anyway, here's the first page:

Ultimate Member

Random plot bunny;

Conner Kent stumbles upon some information about the Luthor family history, and is at loose ends and curious about that *other* side of his heritage that he's mostly tried to deny or suppress or ignore over the years. And so he heads for Scotland, where he has heard the Luthor family had a keep, centuries ago, which is mostly a pile of rocks these days, having been pillaged by surrounding villagers for stones to use for walls and other construction.

In his office, Lex Luthor has received various automated alert notifications over the last week that someone has been digging into his family history, looked into it, found out it was Conner, and then dismissed it. But now he's received an alert that Conner is headed to Scotland, site of some old family holdings he cares nothing about, and he's... intrigued. 'Sarah, cancel my 2 o'clock, and tell my pilot to prep for a flight to Scotland.' 'But sir, it's 1:57, your 2 o'clock is standing right here...' 'Did I stutter?' Click.

They arrive separately in Scotland, and Conner explores the ruins of 'Luthor Keep' (indeed, just some rocks in a pasture, at this point). But he stomps a little too forcefully on a stubborn rock and collapses into an underground section of the former keep, where an ancestral Luthor who fought in the Crusades brought a special bit of plunder back from the holy land. A golden helmet that looks suspiciously like Dr. Fate's helmet...

Long story short, Conner ends up possessed by a lord of order that preceded Dr. Fate, and is, a bit nuts. Mystic alarms go off as the sealed chamber's wards fall, and supernatural sorts including Dr. Fate, Zatanna, Dr. Mist and Deadman arrive (Constantine is on a plane halfway there, but everyone else teleported or flew through the planet all ghostly-like, and got there and dealt with it long before he arrived as anything other than an astral advisor, having locked himself in the bathroom and astral projected as the only way he could actually 'get there'). Fate, being a dick, is willing to kill Conner to end the threat of this rogue lord of order, but the others astral project into Conner's mind and put him in the situation where if Fate kills Conner, he's going to kill *all of them,* and that's a step further than he's willing to go. Big psychic battle inside. While big magic happens outside as Fate and the other lord of order throw zaps.

(Luthor, who kind of set the whole thing off by being a putz, and left Conner to pay the price, wanders back to his limo and observes from a safe distance, washing his hands of the whole mess.)

Good prevails, but Conner's a mess, having been 'hollowed out' by the lord of order squishing his mind and soul aside to take over his body. Zatanna casts a spell to put him in contact with 'those closest to his heart' and images of Cassie, Tim, Bart and Krypto appear, and offer support. Bart's image blurs and then he's really there, because, super-speed. 'I would have been here sooner, but I didn't know where in Scotland you were...' A sonic boom follows and Conner steps away from Zatanna and then Krypto slobber-slams into Conner at Mach 4, the way dogs will do. Nommo and Fate are still bickering about what to do with the rogue lord of order, now safely sealed away in her helmet again (they do not get along, and it's clear that they've been rivals for centuries, at least), and happy endings all around.

Extraordinary Member

“A Crisis In Time” - An event restricted entirely to the late teenagers and younger heroes… and it’s *all* of them… as in, whether in the foreground or the background, every single teen and kid hero is involved form all of DC history. Even from alternate realities. I’m talking XS in the same comic as the Wildcats in the same comic as freakin’ Superbaby, though the main characters are the Young Justice generation with confusingly merged memories on one hand, and a new “Justice League Junior” that sees the Supersons joined by Iris West’s Impulse and some others.

The younger heroes finally get an explanation specific to them about why they’re timelines are always screwy, and why the Legion of Superheroes never seems to have a stable connection to the current timeline - the Time Trapper is a “Chronological Truth” created by someone in the previous continuities, who keeps being produced by the changing timeline and mucking about with things, but is vulnerable to the repercussions of his own actions. Since one of the realities of his existence is hating the Legion of Superheroes, but as is his existence dependent on them, they and their distant predecessors are always experiencing change - and the original Brainiac 5 created a machine “tying that knot” together so that the heroes could eventually free themselves of it.

The heroes must basically gather an alliance to do a mystery investigation to find the Time Trapper’s creator across changing timeline, while opposed by the Trapper’s collection of villains - a compilation of the Titans of Tomorrow and Black Zero’s army from the older Superboy story arc.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This is something we've had some fun with over on the Superman Board, so I figured we might as well give this a try over here.

If you are a hard-core DCU fan, chances are you've either thought up or jotted down one of your own stories at some point or another. Not necessarily because you think DC will ever publish them, but just because you love scratching that particular creative itch. Well, this is the place you can share it with others if you so choose.

Now, I understand this may be a bit nerve-wracking for some of you. While we may have no problem discussing and criticizing the minutiae of professional creator's work, showing your work is a very different proposition. However, this isn't going to be a place where your work is going to be judged too harshly. Our guiding principle on this thread is to provide feedback and criticism about what works and what can be improved, rather than how bad something may or may not be. The goal is to help, not to ridicule and anyone doing so won't be welcome here.

Here's the general guidelines for anyone who wants to participate.

1) DON'T POST YOUR FULL WORK HERE. This will just lead to walls and walls of impenetrable text that will make navigating posts cumbersome. Simply post a link to your work using Google Docs or something so that people can read your work on its own.

2) Along with a link to your work, post a PITCH for any potential readers of a few sentences. Don't spoil anything, but give us an idea of what kind of story you're telling. Think of it like a 10 to 15 second commercial trying to entice readers.

3) KEEP IT PG-13. Sorry, but this is not the place to post your Erotic Adventures of Constantine and the Pleasure Planet of The Super-Twinks fan fic. This should generally be stuff that anyone can read. If you want to share something more adult, I'm sure there's other places on the internet for that.

That's it! Remember to have fun and, if you post your own work, please try to read other's and give them some kind of constructive feed back about what you liked, but also about what didn't work for you.
    Awesome idea! Thank you very much!

I'll start by posting a link to "Battle for the Swamp" a Swamp Thing/Mighty Morphin Power Rangers crossover I wrote. Admittedly this is the cartoon version of Swamp Thing but hey, it's still DC characters.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1230782...-for-the-Swamp

Pitch- Lord Zedd sends the Putties to Louisiana to dig up a powerful weapon. When the Power Rangers go to stop them they get caught up in the battle between Swamp Thing and Dr Arcane.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Interestingly, just before this thread started, I had just removed the link to my fan comic from my signature. But anyway, my Legion of Superheroes fan comic is here:
    I'm thinking to move it to a different site where the reading experience would be better, but I'm not sure of which one to use.
    Looks good.

I'll post some proper feedback later. In the meantime please leave it on deviantart. It's one of my favourite sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'll definitely be giving that a read.
    Do people draw it?

Well, FF.net doesn't allow images outside of the title image. But AO3 does.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I would appreciate some advice on a character choice. I'm working on a series where Batman attempts to "cure" the psychological quirks of his villains, and in the first issue, encourages Harvey Dent to prosecute his evil half, Two-Face, in a highly unusual special proceeding. (Being a lawyer will come in handy here). I have half of it scripted and the other half planned out, but one slot I haven't managed to fill is who his defense attorney would be. My initial thought was a villain or anti-hero who would simply get a thrill out of participating in such a weird trial and helping Two-Face escape charges, but couldn't think of anyone. I could see a "good guy" attorney doing this as a favor to Batman so that the trial can proceed and is fair, but am having trouble choosing. Jean Loring might be the lead candidate. Any ideas?

Incredible Member

I would appreciate some advice on a character choice. I'm working on a series where Batman attempts to "cure" the psychological quirks of his villains, and in the first issue, encourages Harvey Dent to prosecute his evil half, Two-Face, in a highly unusual special proceeding. (Being a lawyer will come in handy here). I have half of it scripted and the other half planned out, but one slot I haven't managed to fill is who his defense attorney would be. My initial thought was a villain or anti-hero who would simply get a thrill out of participating in such a weird trial and helping Two-Face escape charges, but couldn't think of anyone. I could see a "good guy" attorney doing this as a favor to Batman so that the trial can proceed and is fair, but am having trouble choosing. Jean Loring might be the lead candidate. Any ideas?
    Jean Loring sounds like a good choice to me.

Incredible Member

I absolutely love this comic and I really hope you continue it. Also, as I said before, please leave it on deviantArt. As far as I know there's no reason you can't post it on multiple sites. I post the same stories on fanfiction.net and deviantart.

The art and writing are spectacular and I love the call-back to a classic Legion story. You also did a clever job of updating it and adding to the lore without directly contradicting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh
    Random plot bunny;

Conner Kent stumbles upon some information about the Luthor family history, and is at loose ends and curious about that *other* side of his heritage that he's mostly tried to deny or suppress or ignore over the years. And so he heads for Scotland, where he has heard the Luthor family had a keep, centuries ago, which is mostly a pile of rocks these days, having been pillaged by surrounding villagers for stones to use for walls and other construction.

In his office, Lex Luthor has received various automated alert notifications over the last week that someone has been digging into his family history, looked into it, found out it was Conner, and then dismissed it. But now he's received an alert that Conner is headed to Scotland, site of some old family holdings he cares nothing about, and he's... intrigued. 'Sarah, cancel my 2 o'clock, and tell my pilot to prep for a flight to Scotland.' 'But sir, it's 1:57, your 2 o'clock is standing right here...' 'Did I stutter?' Click.

They arrive separately in Scotland, and Conner explores the ruins of 'Luthor Keep' (indeed, just some rocks in a pasture, at this point). But he stomps a little too forcefully on a stubborn rock and collapses into an underground section of the former keep, where an ancestral Luthor who fought in the Crusades brought a special bit of plunder back from the holy land. A golden helmet that looks suspiciously like Dr. Fate's helmet...

Long story short, Conner ends up possessed by a lord of order that preceded Dr. Fate, and is, a bit nuts. Mystic alarms go off as the sealed chamber's wards fall, and supernatural sorts including Dr. Fate, Zatanna, Dr. Mist and Deadman arrive (Constantine is on a plane halfway there, but everyone else teleported or flew through the planet all ghostly-like, and got there and dealt with it long before he arrived as anything other than an astral advisor, having locked himself in the bathroom and astral projected as the only way he could actually 'get there'). Fate, being a dick, is willing to kill Conner to end the threat of this rogue lord of order, but the others astral project into Conner's mind and put him in the situation where if Fate kills Conner, he's going to kill *all of them,* and that's a step further than he's willing to go. Big psychic battle inside. While big magic happens outside as Fate and the other lord of order throw zaps.

(Luthor, who kind of set the whole thing off by being a putz, and left Conner to pay the price, wanders back to his limo and observes from a safe distance, washing his hands of the whole mess.)

Good prevails, but Conner's a mess, having been 'hollowed out' by the lord of order squishing his mind and soul aside to take over his body. Zatanna casts a spell to put him in contact with 'those closest to his heart' and images of Cassie, Tim, Bart and Krypto appear, and offer support. Bart's image blurs and then he's really there, because, super-speed. 'I would have been here sooner, but I didn't know where in Scotland you were...' A sonic boom follows and Conner steps away from Zatanna and then Krypto slobber-slams into Conner at Mach 4, the way dogs will do. Nommo and Fate are still bickering about what to do with the rogue lord of order, now safely sealed away in her helmet again (they do not get along, and it's clear that they've been rivals for centuries, at least), and happy endings all around.
    Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Jean Loring sounds like a good choice to me.
    I concur. Her own experiences during Identity Crisis and Eclipso add some extra layers to it, too

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I absolutely love this comic and I really hope you continue it. Also, as I said before, please leave it on deviantArt. As far as I know there's no reason you can't post it on multiple sites. I post the same stories on fanfiction.net and deviantart.
    The art and writing are spectacular and I love the call-back to a classic Legion story. You also did a clever job of updating it and adding to the lore without directly contradicting anything.
    Thanks!

....one slot I haven't managed to fill is who his defense attorney would be. My initial thought was a villain or anti-hero who would simply get a thrill out of participating in such a weird trial and helping Two-Face escape charges, but couldn't think of anyone. I could see a "good guy" attorney doing this as a favor to Batman so that the trial can proceed and is fair, but am having trouble choosing. Jean Loring might be the lead candidate. Any ideas?
    Rafael Sandoval? (El Diablo)