Extraordinary Member

Default Earth-Prime #1: Batwoman Preview

Earth-Prime #1: Batwoman Preview
    Writer: Natlie Abrams and Kelly Larson
    Artist: Clayton Henry

Extraordinary Member

For those who missed the original announcement - this is not a 6 issue mini starring Ryan Wilder, each issue will focus on a different CW show with the final issue being a crossover.

That introduction of Clayface 2.0 is something I could have totally seen happening on the show, although I wonder if he's done after getting anticlimactically defeated by rain.

Also Ryan with the permanent white eyes (which we can only pull off in the comics).

Astonishing Member

I feel a series like this would be a good opportunity to showcase the Arrowverse Batman...unless DC has an embargo on even that!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I feel a series like this would be a good opportunity to showcase the Arrowverse Batman...unless DC has an embargo on even that!
    I wonder if they'll actually talk about OG!Clayface in this universe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if they'll actually talk about OG!Clayface in this universe.
    They'd have to, since the whole conceit of the 2.0 villains in Season 3 was that they were successors to the original villains. Every episode introducing a new 2.0 villain in Season 3 used to give a rundown on the OG villain and how Bruce defeated them, which was nice.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

The backup written by Camrus Johnson features CW version Stephanie Brown! Hooray!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Mighty Member

This pretty much felt like a shorter episode of the series, with Clayface being another one of those "next-gen" villains from the show. I wasn't expecting to see spoilers:
    Lena Luthor
    end of spoilers of all people, especially in an important role.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    The backup written by Camrus Johnson features CW version Stephanie Brown! Hooray!
    I figured that would be the girlfriend teased in the synopsis. But I guess what happened in that story explains why she never shows up again.
    Last edited by GamerSlyRatchet; 04-05-2022 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added more thoughts.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I figured that would be the girlfriend teased in the synopsis. But I guess what happened in that story explains why she never shows up again.
    I never say never! But it does explain why she hasn't shown up again YET!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I never say never! But it does explain why she hasn't shown up again YET!
    There’s at least the Gotham Knights show’s version of Steph (who isn’t the same as the one here), so…

Liked this better than I expected. Ryan’s pretty fun, even when she’s not being portrayed by the beautiful and talented Javicia Leslie ��. It did a good job keeping the usual beats from the show that people would appreciate while being a nice read on its own.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Liked this better than I expected. Ryan’s pretty fun, even when she’s not being portrayed by the beautiful and talented Javicia Leslie ��. It did a good job keeping the usual beats from the show that people would appreciate while being a nice read on its own.
    Agreed.

It really felt like a Season 3 episode of the show albeit...better I guess? And Season 3 was a fairly solid season of the show so that's saying something.

spoilers:
    The Lena Luthor stuff was great...loved the parallels between her and Ryan both being businesswomen with super-villain brothers! Actually they have another thing in common which didn't get brought up - a mystery surrounding their parentage, as well as being adopted. I kinda look forward to seeing more of this pairing. And of course, I hope we actually get to see Ryan meet Kara.

Love that COIE got brought up, along with Kate being a Paragon, and I think the way they addressed that, and the notion of Ryan being the ''Bat of the Future'' in the Post-COIE world, made sense (well, to the extent that the whole Paragon concept ever made sense in the first place!) The conversation with Luke in the same scene really did a great job highlighting how Ryan is a very different Bat-vigilante from Kate and Bruce...better than the show ever has.

The back-up was neat, though I was a bit confused about Stephanie not knowing that Luke worked with Batwoman.

I was a bit skeptical about this Earth Prime series to begin with but I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes now. I suppose, in a way, this is the 2021 crossover we never got!
    end of spoilers