Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

SUPERMAN: SPACE AGE #2
    Written by MARK RUSSELL
    Art and cover by MICHAEL ALLRED
    Variant cover by DAVE JOHNSON
    1:25 variant cover by NICK DERINGTON
    $9.99 US | 80 pages | 2 of 3 | Prestige
    ON SALE 9/27/22
    Superman has arrived and he's out of sight! Right? The world may love him, but the citizens of Metropolis are growing skeptical as the cities around them suffer without the help of the Man of Steel. The world doesn't need saving as much as it needs changing, and Superman and his super friends in the Justice League seem unqualified to save the day the way they once did. Could this be the beginning of the end that Pariah prophesied? Or is it just a sign of the times?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Interesting interview with Russell and Allred:

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/06/23/su...age-interview/

On influence from other works:
    Well, I wanted this to be its own distinct thing as much as possible, but you never completely work in a vacuum. And so I’d say the two Superman stories that had the most impact on on this were obviously Crisis on Infinite Earths and, yeah, New Frontier, which I thought was fantastic both in the way it worked real history into its story and also how it felt fresh. It liberated itself from continuity and just tries to tell a story on its own terms.
    On writing a "political" story:
    Well, I don’t see Superman as inherently political. I just see him as someone committed to basic decency, which, unfortunately, has itself become political.
    Well, I think it’s worth the reader to grapple with to what extent they find these issues political. What I wanted to do with Superman is he’s this guy who does not have the luxury of sitting on the sidelines. He has too much power. Or there’s too much trouble in the world. He’s got to make decisions, and as long errs on the side protecting those who need protections, and in respecting people’s humanity, then I think that is what lies at the base of his character. And if anyone finds that political or controversial, I really think that’s on them.
    A question was raised with respect to each creator's previous use of spoof and/or satire:
    Well, I think one has to be subservient to the other. And in this one, I really wanted to write a serious Superman story about how meaningful the character is and about how much we need people willing to be their best selves in the face of immediate peril. But there’s satire involved. I mean, it was just more of a flavoring agent. It’s something that rears its head here and there as opposed to the main tone of the book.
    Yeah. If there’s any satire in it, it’s very subtle. I find this very sincere, and there’s something very pure and it’s just so iconic. There’s a lot of ways you can trip on on Superman, but I’ve been really impressed. The scripts from Mark have just been, and I think you called it, a love letter. What’s fun about it is how Mark’s approach has been able to be very definitive yet unique. It’s really impressive how it feels timeless and classic yet fresh. I’ve just really been blown away how this has all come together.
    Man, can't wait for this book.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

It being a more sincere story is encouraging, perhaps Russel is delivering the shake up in style that people have been asking for from him. Risky but potentially very rewarding to factor in the JFK assassination and the Civil Rights Movement too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post

Well, I don’t see Superman as inherently political. I just see him as someone committed to basic decency, which, unfortunately, has itself become political.
    i love this quote and basically sums up Superman and his views on polotics

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It being a more sincere story is encouraging, perhaps Russel is delivering the shake up in style that people have been asking for from him. Risky but potentially very rewarding to factor in the JFK assassination and the Civil Rights Movement too.
    I like how he uses the time period to represent a changing world outlook for the story overall. A "great leap of imagination in how we approach the world."

But yeah, could be a sink or swim approach. I'm banking on the latter, esp since I'm always a sucker for some good Cold War period stuff.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam

Superman: Space Age - Mark Russell & Mike Allred Detail a Grounded, More Contemplative Man of Tomorrow

The prologue opens with a window to the future, with the world seemingly coming to an end. Why did you want to open up the book with such apocalyptic intensity?

Russell: I think it's easy to represent hope when everything might turn out alright, but how do you inspire hope and the ability to carry on when it's clear that not everything is going to be alright? That's what I wanted to do with Superman. How do you continue to be Superman when you know the end is coming? What does that do to how you live if you ultimately know it's going to be for nothing in the sense that it's going to be destroyed?

I think Superman's answer is that it's not for nothing, that if you do something, it's going to reverberate throughout eternity, whether it ends or not. That's where hope resides, not in the idea that this will be successful but in the idea that this is who we are, and this needs to be done whether we're successful or not.

Allred: I think that's the key to hope in the entire project. From the beginning, we're told everything we're about to be is for nothing because it's all ending. You'll go year after year with these characters, and you'll see people fall in love, children being born, and you see these world events in our history. You see life existing, and you think, "For what?" I think this is where the title of the book is significant because, since the Space Age, the world we live in could realistically end at any moment, we're capable of destroying ourselves, let alone some entity from outer space. The progress of the human race has also created the ability to destroy the human race.

You have to embrace every moment that you have in your existence. Each of us are sharing our turn on Earth, and we hope our existence and relationships mean something. If we were to know there was a guaranteed impending doom, we'd do things differently. What's fun about this doom aspect, if you can approach it that way, is the fact that you're reading a Superman book, that's where the hope comes in. You've seen this impending doom, but is there still hope? As you go through the lives and decades of these characters, is there hope? How is this going to end? It's thrilling knowing what you've seen at the beginning of the book.

Russell: This book really asks the question, "Can hope exist outside of outcome?" Superman's answer is, of course, "Yes."
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-26-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Incredible Member

• Some JFK mythologizing.
    • Lots of talk about hope, if far less eye-rolling than usually because it is true there's a different feel to it with COIE in the background.
    • Lots of talk about fathers, not a single mention of his mothers.
    • Lots of talk about Bruce Wayne, but I can forgive it because 1) Hal also gets a similar amount of talk, so it's not just Bat-wank, and 2) It's actually an intriguing take on Batman, not going for "tragic avenger" but rather "defense industry billionaire ensuring his continued existence" (and 3, they didn't bring it up, the interviewer did).
    • On the topic of Hal, that certainly does not sound like a flattering take on Hal, but that's fine by me. I only ask that it be interesting, and it does sound interesting.

Overall, other than concrete details on Bruce and Hal, the one thing I got form this interview is that they really, really want this to be an all-time classic.

This stood out to me:

Allred: I think that's the key to hope in the entire project. From the beginning, we're told everything we're about to be is for nothing because it's all ending. You'll go year after year with these characters, and you'll see people fall in love, children being born, and you see these world events in our history. You see life existing, and you think, "For what?" I think this is where the title of the book is significant because, since the Space Age, the world we live in could realistically end at any moment, we're capable of destroying ourselves, let alone some entity from outer space. The progress of the human race has also created the ability to destroy the human race.
    A sense of underlying fear and doom is a pretty cool concept for this backdrop for the story.

Goes along with a quote by Russell in a previous interview:

Yeah, I think that the ’60s was, in a lot of ways, the most perilous time in American history. Because not only did we have a nuclear standoff with the Soviet Union, but it required of us a great leap of imagination in how we approach the world.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 06-26-2022 at 03:17 PM.

Recently reread New Frontier and I’m curious how this will differ. Obviously one big difference is superheroes start debuting after JFK gets assassinated. Probably will have a more likeable Superman for me personally since I don’t see Russell making him run errands for the government (and it got kind of old in NF to have everyone repeatedly tell Clark he was a moron for being a government stooge, while he just hung his head and only finally realized they were right at the end).

Book One of Superman: Space Age hits shelves one week from today. Incredibly grateful for everyone who made this possible and to everyone who reads it. It was, and is, a labor of love.
    https://twitter.com/manruss/status/1...lryAdNXolvbkhg

Extraordinary Member

Superman: Space Age #1 Preview
    Writer: Mark Russell
    Artist: Michael Allred

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This looks really good!
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Russell says he won't make this book political, but he's just evading the question. He's made his name being overtly political and there's no reason he'd stop with a Superman book set in the past. It will allow him a soapbox from which to preach about his personal political views instead of telling a Superman story.

Even though I enjoy some of Allred's art, this series is a pass for me. I'm much more interested in Waid and Hitch's forthcoming Black Label book.

Lol, has he even written a single thing that wasn't political?