Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I thought it was another top notch issue. I really love Allred’s Superman (the trunks in particular are great!), but I think I like his Lois even better. Her voice is also really well done by Russell. I think the explanation of hope and what it means is perhaps my favorite ever. I particularly liked the metaphor of Pa Kent’s WW2 experience and how it helps Clark's understanding of it. "Hope is the lie we make come true". To me, this is somewhat reminiscent of:

"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible... do the impossible."
    Love Supe’s whole outlook in general:

“I suppose that in the Space Age, in our era of game theory and mathematical analysis, operating on that kind of optimism might seem naive. Hokey even. But when all seems lost, when the cynical and corrupt are firmly in charge, isn’t that when you need optimists the most?”
    Its both unique and universal at the same time in that it’s applicable to just about any time period. It’s hokey, but he fully acknowledges that and it also indirectly helps him acknowledge a little bit of cynicism. That and learning this trait from Lois with regards to the Watergate story.

And I really loved how Clark learned about Lois’s duality and that in turn made him appreciate her even more. Him blasting the Daily Planet staff was pretty awesome.

Def Bat-heavy, but I do like the juxtaposition of street level versus world/universal level issues and fixes, and how the approaches differ. I think Batman learns from Supes’ approach that sometimes you do have to go bigger.

The hot dog bit is pretty great too. Oh yeah, and Flash’s bomb closet, lol.

Definitely dig all the music references. Bowie, Queen, Elvis, Cat Stevens… speaking of which, if Superman saved the Edmund Fitzgerald, does that mean there was never the song written about it?
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Found some photos from the Superman panel yesterday and one had some art teases of issue 3:

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Brainiacs !

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Man, 3 isn't until February? I might have been better off randomly waiting for it to show up like #2 did
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Man, 3 isn't until February? I might have been better off randomly waiting for it to show up like #2 did
    The trade comes out in March so if you want to read it in that format at least you won’t be waiting much longer. Man I hope it gets an Absolute edition some day, Allred’s art in that format would be gorgeous.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

This is gonna be good in a trade

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Found some photos from the Superman panel yesterday and one had some art teases of issue 3:

From Allred art I can only say spectacular.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

https://twitter.com/manruss/status/1...5izN8N4oNNX9Kw
    In which Superman: Space Age makes the list for Best New Series of 2022. Also, chuffed to see Chef's Kiss and @misscecil's Shifting Earth on the list for Best Original Graphic Novel. Both were excellent.

That's cool .

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's interesting you point to that, because of all of the scripts -- and it's three issues. I was concerned about that. Are they going to let me ask Superman if he believes in god? The one thing, one and only thing that I was asked to change was that in that scene. I had both characters sitting on a swing set and they would not allow Superman to sit on a swing set.
    Somehow this is kind of the most amazing thing I have taken away from a creator interview, and about the handling of Superman in general
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Somehow this is kind of the most amazing thing I have taken away from a creator interview, and about the handling of Superman in general
    Another creator once said that he was reprimanded for having Batman sit in a chair in the script

Extraordinary Member

Superman: Space Age #3 Preview
    Writer: Mark Russell
    Artist: Michael Allred

Astonishing Member

The Superbooks have always had a lot of micromanaging from various people at DC. It's one of the theories for the high turnover in writers since the Loeb/Kelly Man of Action era where average tenure is 24-30 issues sometimes even less like Andy Diggle or Marc Guggenheim or Mark Waid (in that they didn't even write one issue before leaving).

Incredible Member

The final issue was really bittersweet. I liked it, but almost cried at the end.

Have to say, I didn't pay too much attention to the social criticism elements that, as far as I know, are one of the main topics on Russell's stories, I was more invested on the emotional and fantastic parts of the story.