Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Right, Injustice Superman I think? He reminds me of Gene Hackman’s Luthor but the only voice I hear for this Lex is the great Clancy Brown. Just finished the series, this is the first time I loved the Anti Monitors design. Wasn’t this the same ending to Final Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Right, Injustice Superman I think? He reminds me of Gene Hackman’s Luthor but the only voice I hear for this Lex is the great Clancy Brown. Just finished the series, this is the first time I loved the Anti Monitors design. Wasn’t this the same ending to Final Crisis?
    Clancy Brown is who I hear too. Heh maybe? Final Crisis gets trippy at the end but from what I recall, they shrink and freeze all of Earth’s inhabitants and then Superman uses the Miracle Machine to restore the Earth. The big difference would be that Space Age Superman saved copies of everyone from his Earth while FC Superman saved the actual inhabitants.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

https://twitter.com/manruss/status/1...487sLx_4UoiJsQ
    Superman: Space Age hits the shelves on 5/2. All three books in one beautiful hardcover volume. I already have my copy and I'm so proud of how it turned out. @DCOfficial
    One last reminder for anyone interested.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Anyone know how true this is, apparently Space Age was originally intended to be an entry in the 5G setting to reveal various events that happened in the new, streamlined timeline but when that got cancelled it got revamped into its own thing.

Is that actually true?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Good. I can't tell you the strange difficulty I've had in finding a copy of #2
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Sweet! No shortage of great HC Superman collections on the horizon, between this and Warworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Good. I can't tell you the strange difficulty I've had in finding a copy of #2
    Funny enough, staff at one of my LCS was joking with me once that #2's are always hard to come by in their shop for some reason.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Anyone know how true this is, apparently Space Age was originally intended to be an entry in the 5G setting to reveal various events that happened in the new, streamlined timeline but when that got cancelled it got revamped into its own thing.

Is that actually true?
    It’s a rumor I’ve heard as well and it would make sense. All of the immediate post Death Metal DC books were trying to salvage what ideas they could from 5G, and Space Age was announced within that same timeframe. It also lines up with Morrison having Superman debut around JFK’s time which we know was the original 5G plan, Russel has Superman start off in a similar time period only AFTER JFK gets killed rather than before. Here’s a solid summary of what was going to be 5G.

Russel up for Eisners due to Space Age:

Excellent. My copy of the new release should be coming in tonight, actually.

But sure that nominations list is incomplete?

Fantastic Member

Just read this comic.

The story and art was fantastic.

I just wish it wasn't billed as a Superman comic because Russell was not interest in writing the character and had no grasp on Superman.

Russell seemed way more interested in Batman, judging by how proactive and cool he made Batman (as opposed to how passive and bland Superman was.) The fact that Batman was the focus of 1/3rd of the book and was Lex Luthor's real archenemy was crazy.

It felt like Russell was writing this book as an audition or practice run for his Batman: The Dark Age book.

I know everyone nowadays only wants to write Batman but DC should stop assigning Superman content to creators who don't really care for the character and would much rather write Batman.

I would have given it 9/10 had he written it as a Batman or Justice League story.
    Last edited by Laser_Man; 03-24-2024 at 03:14 PM.

Lol, in the time since finishing it, I've been reminded every once in a while that it even featured Batman. But I should get around to reading Dark Age soon to see what else is left in the corner of elseworlds

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Just read this comic.

The story and art was fantastic.

I just wish it wasn't billed as a Superman comic because Russell was not interest in writing the character and had no grasp on Superman.

Russell seemed way more interested in Batman, judging by how proactive and cool he made Batman (as opposed to how passive and bland Superman was.) The fact that Batman was the focus of 1/3rd of the book and was Lex Luthor's real archenemy was crazy.

It felt like Russell was writing this book as an audition or practice run for his Batman: The Dark Age book.

I know everyone nowadays only wants to write Batman but DC should stop assigning Superman content to creators who don't really care for the character and would much rather write Batman.

I would have given it 9/10 had he written it as a Batman or Justice League story.
    You think it should have been written as a Batman story when Batman was, in you estimation, in 1/3 of the story??

Superman was obviously the main character and focus of the story. Batman played a pretty major role, but he wasn't even close to being the main character. I also thought Superman's characterization was fine.

I'm glad you liked the book, though. I did too.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TaliaJoy View Post
    You think it should have been written as a Batman story when Batman was, in you estimation, in 1/3 of the story??

Superman was obviously the main character and focus of the story. Batman played a pretty major role, but he wasn't even close to being the main character. I also thought Superman's characterization was fine.

I'm glad you liked the book, though. I did too.
    Batman being in 1/3rd of the story is a lot for a Superman comic. I don't remember Superman ever getting this much focus in a Batman comic. Russell skipped a lot of parts of Superman (like his first public appearance or the birth of his son) but makes sure to properly flesh out Batman's subplot. A lot of Batman's part could have been cut if Russell actually cared for Superman as a character.

And not just that, he also made Batman form his opinios and do introspection. Superman meanwhile felt very passive and directionless in this comic. He just awkwardly stands around while other people tell him what is right and wrong. He never really felt like his own person. Superman was in the story but he was never the focus of the story. Russell had nothing to say about Superman so he portrayed Supeman as the generic protagonist. But he had a lot to say about Batman which us why he gave Batman layers and a character arc.

Superman didn't even do much in the first two books. Batman was the one who figured out everything in Book One and stopped Luthor. Flash and Batman were the main heroes responsible for stopping Brainiac when he was nearing victory. And it was ultimately Brainiac who was trying to do something about saving the Mutliverse from Anti-Monitor.

Then I suppose Russell realized he is on Book Three and he hasn't had Superman done anything of note so he wrapped it up by lettingSuperman get some victory by a Deus Ex Machina (and even then Jor El is the one who actually makes the decisive contributionin the end). What Superman achieved in the story doesn't feel earned at all because he didn't do much. Things just fell in place for him and he just stood around letting others do what needed to be done.

At least Russell got what he wanted. He finally got to write the Batman book which he wanted. Hope he doesn't have to write a Superman comic again.