Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm definitely intrigued. This could be the kind of Super story I love; a fusion of socio-political theater and big cosmic craziness.....or it's gonna be some JMS level naval gazing. Kinda hard to tell where Russel might come down with it, honestly.

Looking at Russel's One Star Squadron, I think he's a guy who works best outside the constraints of continuity. So this seems like a perfect fit, and I'm very interested in seeing where he takes things. Russel seems like the kind of guy who would have a really unique view of Clark, and pick up on stuff that other writers miss (or at least ignore). Maybe his views won't align with mine, but it should at least be an interesting commentary.

And Alred is....I mean, this guy on Superman is a dream right?

Man, we've had an embarrassment of riches lately haven't we? I feel like since Superman Smashes the Klan we've had a pretty consistent stream of Superman mini's and self-contained work, and damn near all of them have been worth reading.

How many years did some of us wish for a line like this, when Didio was in charge and allowing sexual predators to run the office while the number of titles continually dropped lower and lower. I gotta be honest, I'm really, really satisfied with the people in charge of DC right now.
    There’s very much something for everyone right now. On the comics side Supes is being well served.

Last edited by Vordan; 04-04-2022 at 04:16 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There’s very much something for everyone right now. On the comics side Supes is being well served.
    And I hear the CW show is pretty well received, though I turned it off five minutes into the first episode with no intention of returning.

All we need now is a quality movie and/or video game, and dare I say it, we wouldn't have a damn thing to complain about!

Not that that'd stop us, but still!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

This looks greatm looking forward to it.

I hope Russel handles this better than he did the FF: Life Story.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Russel has been diminishing returns with me for a little while now, but Allred doing Superman is a must-buy for me.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Mike Allred on Superman. SOLD!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Art alone is worth the price of entry but does anyone else get real Spider-Man: Life Story vibes from the pitch (or I guess FF: LS vibes since Russel wrote that)?
    I found the structure of FF:Life Story very restrictive. If we have three 80 page books, Russell will have up to 240 pages to write his story. I love his takes on present political and pop-culture themes and this could be perfect using Superman as an outsider looking in. I will be picking this up.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Love the title, Space Age. Looking forward to some early Cold War stuff.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Least Russel already wrote a Superman mini I enjoyed during Future State and we still have Waid’s book coming if this is a bust.
    Climbing up hill with each BL Superman story.

Art alone is worth the price of entry but does anyone else get real Spider-Man: Life Story vibes from the pitch (or I guess FF: LS vibes since Russel wrote that)?
    Russell and the impending doom part made me more think FF: Life Story. I didn't get past the first issue on that so hopefully a second swing works better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope Russel handles this better than he did the FF: Life Story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Russel has been diminishing returns with me for a little while now, but Allred doing Superman is a must-buy for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Climbing up hill with each BL Superman story.

Russell and the impending doom part made me more think FF: Life Story. I didn't get past the first issue on that so hopefully a second swing works better.
    FF: LS is one of his weaker works for sure. He really just wanted to tell a Galactus story and stretched it out to meet the format Marvel wanted. But I love One-Star Squadron so he still can hit a home run now and then. His Superman and Lex in there are really good too, so I feel optimistic about this. Like I said even if Russell misses Allred drawing Superman is worth it to me alone, I just hope Allred gets to draw a bunch of Superman Rogues.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Tiny sneak peek at Superman: Space Age #1. I love this scene and Lois Lane as a war zone reporter feels even more relevant to me now.
    https://twitter.com/manruss/status/1...IBpxodOXn0POaw

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

That reads as though Lois is about to be killed off...
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    That reads as though Lois is about to be killed off...
    Considering the scope of this, I think Clark is definitely going to outlive her.

BANNED

I'm not a fan of Russell at all. That said, I've loved Allred's work for decades. This is pretty typical of DC in the last few years: writers I don't much care for or don't care for at all paired with artists I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering the scope of this, I think Clark is definitely going to outlive her.
    Isn’t this taking place in the 1950/1960s? Yeah Lois will definitely be long dead by the time we get to the “present”.