Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    The only people Clark should take from is the Kents, to use his uniqueness to help others.
    Well,then he should just be living in the farmlands..no offense to that...

But even silverage superman ventured out..The art looks more donner than silverage..The crystal fortress and all.Jor el though, is the old design.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-16-2022 at 08:32 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well,then he should just be living in the farmlands..no offense to that...

But even silverage superman ventured out..The art looks more donner than silverage..The crystal fortress and all.Jor el though, is the old design.
    Well, they're his parents who raise him. So, yeah. I'm sure we take a lot from our parents, more than we are conscious of. But, that's far as it goes for me. Superman is one of those characters who need others help to make him interesting. ****, might as well make him those plain, boring manga leads who needs that beautiful and high-spirited girl to change his life. Granted, I do read those.... But, that's not Superman.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 04-16-2022 at 10:21 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Well, they're his parents who raise him. So, yeah. I'm sure we take a lot from our parents, more than we are conscious of. But, that's far as it goes for me. Superman is one of those characters who need others help to make him interesting. ****, might as well make him those plain, boring manga leads who needs that beautiful and high-spirited girl to change his life. Granted, I do read those.... But, that's not Superman.
    Well,as far as i am aware his parents never left smallville.never had any intention.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Sidebar Allred question.

Anyone read the Bowie Ziggy Stardust graphic novel he did? Looked pretty awesome when it was announced.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Retired

I've always associated Mike Allred's style with John Forte. I wouldn't be surprised if Forte was one of his influences.

The 411 on John Forte:

He attended an art college in New York and after graduating got work on the pulps. In 1941 his first comic book work was for Timely Comics (what would be Atlas and then Marvel).

He served during World War Two as an army infantryman and was part of the D-Day landing on Normandy beach.

When he returned from the war, he continued to work for Timely/Atlas/Marvel up until 1959. He also did illustrations for magazines, calendars, catalogues, newspaper advertisements and book covers. He worked for various other comic book publishers besides Timely--including horror comics for the American Comics Group and romance comics for Quality.

When Quality folded, he was hired by National Comics to continue on those romance titles they had bought from Quality. But this also opened up the door for him to work on the Superman titles beginning in 1959.

At first, he mainly did a lot of work for SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN. In addition he was a great inker and inked other pencillers--especially Curt Swan (I consider him one of Swan's best inkers).

Then in 1961, Forte was put on Tales of the Bizarro World for ADVENTURE COMICS. When the Legion of Super-Heroes replaced the Bizarros, Forte continued on as the artist for that feature.

In 1963, he was diagnosed with colon cancer. After two surgeries, he died on May 2nd, 1966, at the age of 47.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I read the Bowie / Allred book and it’s terrific. Allred does remind me of John Forte but I also see Bruno Premiani from the Doom Patrol in his style as well.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I read the Bowie / Allred book and it’s terrific. Allred does remind me of John Forte but I also see Bruno Premiani from the Doom Patrol in his style as well.
    Cool! It was on my radar when it was announced but then I kinda forgot about it. It's officially back on my radar now.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Cool! It was on my radar when it was announced but then I kinda forgot about it. It's officially back on my radar now.
    I am flipping through it now and it covers Bowies whole life, all his music, the music around him. Allred is really his own thing and he uses art from all around him. Looking at the Bowie book makes me really excited to see what he does with Superman again.

I know others did not enjoy it, but I really dug One Star Squadron. I thought the way he handled PG was pretty good and I liked her ending:

This to me feels like a preview of how he’ll approach Clark in Space Age so I’m really eager to read it given how much I enjoyed OSS.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I know others did not enjoy it, but I really dug One Star Squadron. I thought the way he handled PG was pretty good and I liked her ending:

This to me feels like a preview of how he’ll approach Clark in Space Age so I’m really eager to read it given how much I enjoyed OSS.
    I think Russell has been spinning his wheels regurgitating the same themes over and over again, so One Star Squadron felt a little tired for me, despite Leiber absolutely killing it on art.

The main issue people had was the depiction of PG, which didn't make a whole lot of sense given what was previously established for her. However, since Space Age is its own continuity, that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Russell has been spinning his wheels regurgitating the same themes over and over again, so One Star Squadron felt a little tired for me, despite Leiber absolutely killing it on art.

The main issue people had was the depiction of PG, which didn't make a whole lot of sense given what was previously established for her. However, since Space Age is its own continuity, that shouldn't be a problem.
    One Star Squadron feels like a story set in its own continuity rather than mainline canon, Russel is like King for me in that I read all of their work as Elseworld unless explicitly said otherwise.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I love his Flinstones, but yeah, it feels like he delivered all he had in that series. Everything after that feels like some variation of the same, but worse.

My problem with Russel is all the characters in One Star Squadron and other books I've read from him sound so same-y.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    My problem with Russel is all the characters in One Star Squadron and other books I've read from him sound so same-y.
    I can see that but his Superman does feel like an exception. Every time he’s shown up he’s always sounded different from the rest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I can see that but his Superman does feel like an exception. Every time he’s shown up he’s always sounded different from the rest to me.
    Yeah, I can see that. I think this will probably be more in Russel's element.