Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

"Seagull" and "Shoe Store"... cute.

Wow. This might end up being the best Superman story since All-Star Superman if it keeps up this level of quality. Definitely not in the same vein as Russell’s other work or even his previous Superman stories. Space Age is a lot more somber and serious, the only “dark comedy” comes from Lex and even he’s bleak comedy at best. I love the parallel between Clark and the “Space Age”:

Both start off with high minded ideals and potential and the question is if they can ever live up to said potential. Clark so far hasn’t, hamstrung as he was by his well-meaning but small minded adoptive parents. But after JFK gets killed Clark defies his parents and starts on the road to becoming Superman. He trains and master his powers, gets an education from Jor-El, and creates the secret identity with the help of the Kents. We see the greed, xenophobia, and racism of the era portrayed unflinchingly, and Russell turns in some of my favorite Lois Lane reporting stuff:

I loved Clark freeing her and the other Civil Rights protestors by destroying the prison. Definitely political and unashamedly so. Lex is a monster in this, probably the best merging of the evil mad scientist and the business tycoon I’ve seen. I love how it’s power not money that ultimately drives him and I can’t wait for him and Supes to cross paths. Speaking of Clark this has gotta be one of my favorite “inspirational” Superman moments:

Superman debuting by saving the world from nuclear war? Hell yeah that beats catching a helicopter! Pariah’s inclusion and the opening is interesting because it frames this book along similar themes Russell has explored before: does doing good mean anything when it all ends in death and defeat regardless? We know where this story is going and how it ends, we know that ultimately the world can’t be saved, so does that make doing good pointless? I found this a very relevant and timely theme given our current status quo where the real world feels locked in a death match towards its own demise. My answer, and seemingly Superman’s is that it does matter, even if everything dies. Those lives mattered regardless.

Loved this first issue and I can’t wait for the next one. I hope this keeps up.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

This was really good

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    Russell says he won't make this book political, but he's just evading the question. He's made his name being overtly political and there's no reason he'd stop with a Superman book set in the past. It will allow him a soapbox from which to preach about his personal political views instead of telling a Superman story.

Even though I enjoy some of Allred's art, this series is a pass for me. I'm much more interested in Waid and Hitch's forthcoming Black Label book.
    I'm sorry to say, but Superman was created with the intent on being political. His first appearances, he was quite literally a social justice warrior who took down corrupt corporations. He also fought the KKK in his radio show. Anyway, I loved the comic. It somehow felt true to the DC universe and Superman while also reiventing them in different ways that haven't been thought about. It's very heartfelt and I can't wait till Book Two.

The bit with Pa Kent is sure to provoke discourse.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Overall I thought it was fantastic, though I think the ending was summed up too fast. Superman stopping the nukes could have been more than just one panel. It would have raised the tension.

Hal didn’t seem too torn up by Coast City being destroyed. In regular continuity that was something that drove him mad. Also, it was weird that he was the one that shot down Abin Sur’s ship and he got the Kyle Rayner origin. “You just happen to be here.”

Astonishing Member

Well, that was interesting.
    I haven't been reading superhero books in a while (I don't find the genre as it is published today interesting or compelling in the slightest), but I made an exception for Russell and I have to say that I am not disappointed.
    Not my favorite comic book of all time (the narration is a bit rushed sometimes, and I am not 100% sure that Allred is a good fit - in some moments the characters are a bit too stiff for my tastes, strangely stiffer than Allred's Madman), but it shows some remarkable strengths.
    The Kents are FINALLY depicted in a way which doesn't look completely stereotyped, Superman's heroic ideals are presented in a relatable, not completely preachy way (even if I would have erased the term "hope" from the book altogether) and black-and-white moments are thankfully replaced by gray moments - as in real life.
    I am not sure that this approach would work in a regular book, but it is definitely a breath of fresh air and an interesting blueprint for the character should they decide to follow it in movies or somewhere else.
    That's how you can make Superman a bit more adult and compelling without leaning on useless Snyderisms.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member

Superman: Space Age was pretty good.

It's political, but it's historical, or "period" political, and if there's relevancy to today it's frankly because society hasn't grown past a bit of this in the last sixty years. On top of that of course we still live in the shadow or specter of that period and its cultural upheavals or shifts. And it works in particular because ... well, not Superman himself, but the "Justice League" came about in that period. And I like all the riffs. It's a great little period piece Elseworld with a nice really human set of characterizations. We'll see where it goes. Is Allred the best for it? I can't say, but Allred was one of my selling points and I'm a lot more forgiving of a stylish creator working on a project that's a bit more artful and less monthly continuity.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wow. This might end up being the best Superman story since All-Star Superman if it keeps up this level of quality. Definitely not in the same vein as Russell’s other work or even his previous Superman stories. Space Age is a lot more somber and serious, the only “dark comedy” comes from Lex and even he’s bleak comedy at best. I love the parallel between Clark and the “Space Age”:

Both start off with high minded ideals and potential and the question is if they can ever live up to said potential. Clark so far hasn’t, hamstrung as he was by his well-meaning but small minded adoptive parents. But after JFK gets killed Clark defies his parents and starts on the road to becoming Superman. He trains and master his powers, gets an education from Jor-El, and creates the secret identity with the help of the Kents. We see the greed, xenophobia, and racism of the era portrayed unflinchingly, and Russell turns in some of my favorite Lois Lane reporting stuff:

I loved Clark freeing her and the other Civil Rights protestors by destroying the prison. Definitely political and unashamedly so. Lex is a monster in this, probably the best merging of the evil mad scientist and the business tycoon I’ve seen. I love how it’s power not money that ultimately drives him and I can’t wait for him and Supes to cross paths. Speaking of Clark this has gotta be one of my favorite “inspirational” Superman moments:

Superman debuting by saving the world from nuclear war? Hell yeah that beats catching a helicopter! Pariah’s inclusion and the opening is interesting because it frames this book along similar themes Russell has explored before: does doing good mean anything when it all ends in death and defeat regardless? We know where this story is going and how it ends, we know that ultimately the world can’t be saved, so does that make doing good pointless? I found this a very relevant and timely theme given our current status quo where the real world feels locked in a death match towards its own demise. My answer, and seemingly Superman’s is that it does matter, even if everything dies. Those lives mattered regardless.

Loved this first issue and I can’t wait for the next one. I hope this keeps up.
    Oh boy, I see this going well with Culture War platforms.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

A fantastic read, can't wait for the next issue.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Superman: Space Age was pretty good.

It's political, but it's historical, or "period" political, and if there's relevancy to today it's frankly because society hasn't grown past a bit of this in the last sixty years. On top of that of course we still live in the shadow or specter of that period and its cultural upheavals or shifts. And it works in particular because ... well, not Superman himself, but the "Justice League" came about in that period. And I like all the riffs. It's a great little period piece Elseworld with a nice really human set of characterizations. We'll see where it goes. Is Allred the best for it? I can't say, but Allred was one of my selling points and I'm a lot more forgiving of a stylish creator working on a project that's a bit more artful and less monthly continuity.
    Yeah I think that a more stylized/unique artist can make a story all the more memorable, even though it may not necessarily be everyone's cup of tea art-wise.

Haven't read it yet, but I'm hoping my copy is waiting for me when I get home today. I've been pretty exited about this book since it was announced. Love me some cold war period stuff (would also love to see a Dr. Strangelove reference ).
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Overall I thought it was fantastic, though I think the ending was summed up too fast. Superman stopping the nukes could have been more than just one panel. It would have raised the tension.

Hal didn’t seem too torn up by Coast City being destroyed. In regular continuity that was something that drove him mad. Also, it was weird that he was the one that shot down Abin Sur’s ship and he got the Kyle Rayner origin. “You just happen to be here.”
    I don't think we needed to see a drawn out sequence of Superman taking out the nukes. There's a reason we get a whole page of Superman taking flight - "showing up" is what the story emphasizes, not his ability to be faster than a nuclear missile. That part was perfunctory and this isn't presented as an action-heavy book. I also think that gives context to Abin Sur's actual statement "But you are here" whether the character knows it or not. Hal is one of those guys who shows up, which is the most any of us can do. (as Superman states in the page Vordan posted) Which isn't the same as Kyle's "picked at random" origin.
    It's also a statement reiterated when the League forms - "being here" is the same as Campbell's "answering the call" moment for any hero:

(and yes, I fixed Hal's boots)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-27-2022 at 05:52 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Haven't read this yet, but these pages make me excited to see the rest.

Plus I really like that Allred draws Supes trunks as actual trunks and not briefs. Pretty cool.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Oh boy, I see this going well with Culture War platforms.
    Screw them and the horse they rode in on. They are a cancer on the Fandom.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Ordinarily, if there’s more than one Superman book in a given week and one of them is Action, it’s what I read first. This week was the exception. Been waiting for this once since it was announced and I freakin loved it.

I really liked the art style, but I do get that not everyone may. Thought Pa Kent looked like Paul Newman circa Cool Hand Luke; Lois looked great in her 60s era outfits (and violet eyes). Also really liked Lois’s narration throughout the book and in particular the historical events.

Clark seeing “Ladies and Gentlemen… the Beatles” was pretty cool (which I again thought of later on when Clark’s narration talked about thinking he can’t be a hero alone, i.e. “get by with a little help from my friends.”). I dug all the historical references as plot devices.

Boy o’ boy did I get my Dr. Strangelove references. I practically expected Lex to end his pitch by saying, “We cannot allow a mine shaft gap!” And they def had the Kubrick war room look to boot.

Lex was dark AF, and yeah pretty darkly funny too. Really liked the scene where Clark met Pariah in the bar.

Thought it funny how both Martha and Alfred wanted to dole out the sandwiches.

Man, can’t wait for the next issue.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog