Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

The thing about the movies is, I don't think is so much a case of whitewashed (they got a Mexican actor for DOFP that clearly was not white), but a problem of Hollywood thinking that Latin Americans are completely interchangeable. That is why I think they went with a Mexican actor for Berto's first outing in movies, they probably thought 'from Brazil? Let's get a Latino actor pronto' and didn't worry about the fact that Berto also has an identity as Afrobrazilian as long as he looks ethnic enough..

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    No confusion. Totally agree. Just saying the biggest issue would seem to be the hair. Not saying there aren’t other features that could or should look more like a POC, but just getting the hair right would be a huge step in the right direction and would help more than anything. In case my post wasn’t clear.
    Oh true true....it def will
    Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest;[URL="tel:6010586"
    6010586[/URL]]The thing about the movies is, I don't think is so much a case of whitewashed (they got a Mexican actor for DOFP that clearly was not white), but a problem of Hollywood thinking that Latin Americans are completely interchangeable. That is why I think they went with a Mexican actor for Berto's first outing in movies, they probably thought 'from Brazil? Let's get a Latino actor pronto' and didn't worry about the fact that Berto also has an identity as Afrobrazilian as long as he looks ethnic enough..
    Yeeeah whitewashing a characte doesn't literally mean replacing said with a person of overwhelmingly white/European parentage. It's casting an actor with lighter skinn as a darker skinned character. Canto doesn't immediately read as Mexican IMHO. Annnyway I still don't see how it's not white washing in DOFP, but I get where youre coming from. As for New Mutants hard to deny it's not an example of whitewashing eso when the director is quoted as saying...

I didn’t care so much about the racism I’ve heard about in Brazil, about light-skinned versus dark-skinned,” he said. “To me, it was I wanted to represent Brazil in a positive way and I wanted to find somebody who seemed like he could look like a guy who’s had a silver spoon in his mouth, who has like a really rich dad and Henry just exemplified all these things.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    The thing about the movies is, I don't think is so much a case of whitewashed (they got a Mexican actor for DOFP that clearly was not white), but a problem of Hollywood thinking that Latin Americans are completely interchangeable. That is why I think they went with a Mexican actor for Berto's first outing in movies, they probably thought 'from Brazil? Let's get a Latino actor pronto' and didn't worry about the fact that Berto also has an identity as Afrobrazilian as long as he looks ethnic enough..
    I wouldn’t say racism but bias…

You said “ethnic enough…” So, more ethnic wouldn’t have been good from producers’ point of view… It’s like these Black actresses who were black but not too much in most of TV-shows leading roles.

It’s more about what you consider as beautiful and glamourous, in my opinion…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Oh true true....it def will

Yeeeah whitewashing a characte doesn't literally mean replacing said with a person of overwhelmingly white/European parentage. It's casting an actor with lighter skinn as a darker skinned character. Canto doesn't immediately read as Mexican IMHO. Annnyway I still don't see how it's not white washing in DOFP, but I get where youre coming from. As for New Mutants hard to deny it's not an example of whitewashing eso when the director is quoted as saying...
    Canto is actually a Spanish and Portuguese last name, is just that in the states for some reason a lot of people think you have to have a common spanish surname to be Latino (something like Rodríguez o Gutierrez) which is funny to me because it would be like people thinking that everyone that comes from an English speaking country would have to be named Jones or Smith. People have a field day with my last names as they are Italian and Greek but I am from South America, so in their minds I should have a name that sounds more Spanish. My point here, at least when it comes to DOFP, is that it is probably a case of producers just thinking "he is Brazilian? Get me the first latin actor you pull out of this hat". Of course I am not a producer so ...

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I wouldn’t say racism but bias…

You said “ethnic enough…” So, more ethnic wouldn’t have been good from producers’ point of view… It’s like these Black actresses who were black but not too much in most of TV-shows leading roles.

It’s more about what you consider as beautiful and glamourous, in my opinion…
    I mean that in the specific case of Berto, him being Brazilian, that producers just went with the first latin actor they found because for a lot of people in the US latin Americans are still pretty interchangeable, whether your ancestry is German or Afro-American or anything in between. So a Brazilian character for them can be played by a Mexican actor and the fact that he is Afro-brazilian just went over their heads. With New Mutants is definitely more problematic though, since I hadn't read that quote from the director.

I mean that in the specific case of Berto, him being Brazilian, that producers just went with the first latin actor they found because for a lot of people in the US latin Americans are still pretty interchangeable, whether your ancestry is German or Afro-American or anything in between. So a Brazilian character for them can be played by a Mexican actor and the fact that he is Afro-brazilian just went over their heads. With New Mutants is definitely more problematic though, since I hadn't read that quote from the director.
    I understand… I just find sad today’s artists don’t have as much culture as previously and don’t make more efforts to reflect the human diversity of shapes and colors…

Marvel comics look more and more like mangas, just more colorful and more expensive…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

And in the the show? The Gifted???
    GrindrStone(D)

Berto wasn't in Gifted.

Berto wasn't in Gifted.
    I meeeean yeah he kinda was...
    GrindrStone(D)

I don't know. They had different codenames (Eclipse was only used by Sunspot in an AU), different human names, different personalities, different (but similar) powersets, and different stories. Marcos is also Colombian, while Berto is Brazilian.

Maybe there were originally different plans behind the scenes. But in practice, they feel very distinct from one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I don't know. They had different codenames (Eclipse was only used by Sunspot in an AU), different human names, different personalities, different (but similar) powersets, and different stories. Marcos is also Colombian, while Berto is Brazilian.

Maybe there were originally different plans behind the scenes. But in practice, they feel very distinct from one another.
    When the New Mutants got the go ahead they changed up plans
    GrindrStone(D)

Incredible Member

Or maybe all latinos look the same to gringos regardless of the color of our skin and are interchangeable. Cecilia Reyes was whitewashed and played by a brasilian woman, and many responses were whell she is also a latina, what is the problem is not like she is white?

When the New Mutants got the go ahead they changed up plans
    That's what I mean. Maybe in production, there were plans to have Sunspot. And maybe they would have race-swapped him, which I know is your main point. (I couldn't find any official statements on him being Sunspot though.) But the final product is very much a different character, and likely not something they could do on the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Or maybe all latinos look the same to gringos regardless of the color of our skin and are interchangeable. Cecilia Reyes was whitewashed and played by a brasilian woman, and many responses were whell she is also a latina, what is the problem is not like she is white?
    Right!? I was surprised at the caucasity of some of those responses People obv didn't realize that 'brazilian' 'latin(a)' aren't descriptors of any specific race
    That's what I mean. Maybe in production, there were plans to have Sunspot. And maybe they would have race-swapped him, which I know is your main point. (I couldn't find any official statements on him being Sunspot though.) But the final product is very much a different character, and likely not something they could do on the fly.
    Ohhh ok ok I got get what you're saying now
    GrindrStone(D)

I meeeean yeah he kinda was...
    No, he wasn't. Eclipse wasn't Sunspot, although maybe they took some inspiration on him, they were very different characters in the end. Berto was a rich Carioca who faced discrimination for his skin color but also led a very pampered life. Eclipse was a Colombian from the slums who grew up poor and was involved with Cartels. Funny thing about him is that he was played by a British actor too, not somebody from South America.