Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

As introduction and set-up 1st issues go...this was near perfect. Great character studies on all the main players. I love that Storm has co-opted the new name and I totally understand the choice as historically it speaks directly in opposition to what Brand wants and would have expected. (I see a beat-down coming for that seeyounexttuesday...looking forward to it)

9.99 /10 and a Shi'ar Imperium of stars. This would have been a 10/10 if...

That last page reveal didn't have Storm looking like some 90's runway model on Cmeth. I already dislike that new costume (I get what Dauterman-the Esteemed was going for but...it's one too many mishmashes (Storm needed to check herself in the mirror and follow "the Chanel Rule") but to have her gone from looking juicy to dry from one gate to the next...well, that was just...no. Who needs knives when you have hip bones?

Plus...Max's "castle" was a too much on the nose. After the architectural exquisiteness of House of M Krakoan, the Arakko Diplomatic Centres, and even his Bermuda Triangle home (I noted the detail reference) I expected better than a Medieval throwback (that's Doom's tasteless schtick). But I do get it...Max, the Red Costume, the "team" name...it's a whole tbt theme, so I'll see where Ewing is going with it.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

This Fisher King concept intrigues me.

I had wondered what happened to Arakki born in Amenth who *did not* become mutants at puberty (or at birth, like Madrox, Beast, Nightcrawler, etc.). Graydon Creed's existence shows that it is possible for two mutants to produce a non-mutant child, so if there are millions of Arakki, there should, logically, have been thousands of non-mutant births over the centuries. Did they kill them when they failed to become mutants? Did they treat them like garbage until puberty, when their powers manifested, in most cases (and are obvious mutants-from-birth like Madrox and Nightcrawler treated differently or seen as superior somehow?).

Or are they given to someone like Tarn to 'make something useful out of them,' since they probably still have the potential to have mutant kids, even if they aren't mutants themselves...

One of several questions I have about super-important bits of Arakki mutant society / history, that hopefully this book will get into.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    This Fisher King concept intrigues me.

I had wondered what happened to Arakki born in Amenth who *did not* become mutants at puberty (or at birth, like Madrox, Beast, Nightcrawler, etc.). Graydon Creed's existence shows that it is possible for two mutants to produce a non-mutant child, so if there are millions of Arakki, there should, logically, have been thousands of non-mutant births over the centuries. Did they kill them when they failed to become mutants? Did they treat them like garbage until puberty, when their powers manifested, in most cases (and are obvious mutants-from-birth like Madrox and Nightcrawler treated differently or seen as superior somehow?).

Or are they given to someone like Tarn to 'make something useful out of them,' since they probably still have the potential to have mutant kids, even if they aren't mutants themselves...

One of several questions I have about super-important bits of Arakki mutant society / history, that hopefully this book will get into.
    When Isca discussed humans with Xavier and Magneto, she seemed surprised that they still exist on Earth

I suspect that Arakko just doesn't even have a concept of "Arakko-born Human". For them they are simply mutants who have to work harder than the rest to survive. If they die, they die, if the live, they are arakki like the rest. Not a big deal.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    What is connection from psylocke and a fisher king? I'm confuse
    It is an Arthurian reference, and she is Captain Britain now. It felt like on of the weaker lines but I think it was just a subtle way to lead the reader to pick up on the name and maybe wonder if it is significant. Despite people going wild with theories, I wonder if it is too that someone from a realm that has no idea who Arthur is would be called that and have that reference pointed out by another character, and then the writer do something very obvious with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    That's one thing I'm loving about this book so far. We're getting insights in Arakko while also building up Storm's group and Brand's group. It's just so massive and I feel like I'll never be bored with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It is an Arthurian reference, and she is Captain Britain now. It felt like on of the weaker lines but I think it was just a subtle way to lead the reader to pick up on the name and maybe wonder if it is significant. Despite people going wild with theories, I wonder if it is too that someone from a realm that has no idea who Arthur is would be called that and have that reference pointed out by another character, and then the writer do something very obvious with it.
    The two mutants who were attacking a London bar in one of the last issues of Cable had Roman god names that didn't exist until long after Okkara.

In the end it's all a "they're not really speaking English" convention. Better not think too much about it.

But if we talk specifically about this case, Arakko had a connection to Otherworld, and Arthur exists in Otherworld. So, who knows.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The two mutants who were attacking a London bar in one of the last issues of Cable had Roman god names that didn't exist until long after Okkara.

In the end it's all a "they're not really speaking English" convention. Better not think too much about it.

But if we talk specifically about this case, Arakko had a connection to Otherworld, and Arthur exists in Otherworld. So, who knows.
    I mean it is not that he has been given the name Fisher King by his people that I am questioning, just whether Ewing is going to mine the myths too deeply.

As for Arakko, it was in Amenth which at some point opened a portal to Otherworld and invaded one of the realms, but I honestly do not recall how long ago that invasion occurred or how much contact the Arakkii would have had with other cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    The whole "Storm isn't a queen" thing would have more meaning if they didn't spend almost a year marketing her otherwise
    I feel like that’s what made it work. We finally got to hear her thoughts on the title that was thrust on her.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Storm was fighting a sharpest, not another version of herself. I got the feeling the Storm at the end is the same shapeshifter.
    The shape-shifter killed herself because she refused to submit to Storm. That is the one true Storm on that last page reveal.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    That's one thing I'm loving about this book so far. We're getting insights in Arakko while also building up Storm's group and Brand's group. It's just so massive and I feel like I'll never be bored with this one.
    Y’know I don’t think Brand is making her own team. Although, I wouldn’t put it past her at this point. But since Storm is bringing back the Brotherhood. I’m going to assume Vulcan is also going to join after Storm whoops his ass. AND I’m sure Proudstar and Cable is on the team.

Pretty good issue! Loved seeing Sunspot in a slightly less silly role. Appreciate him for that, but also think we need to balance that with brains.

Agree with everyone saying it's interesting to see a bit more in the Arakko lore.

Also really liked the use of Thunderbird. This is exactly how I pictured him acting after getting resurrected and it's fun IMO.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 04-06-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Yes, yes and YES! This is what I wanted out of the new era. Storm is no longer just wallpaper and actually has a purpose. Berto is actually an adult and not acting like he is still a teenager like the rest of the New Mutants (I actually don't mind that title, but it seems most writers cannot move past the "New Mutants as teens" fase) . I have never been the biggest Cable and Brand fan, but both of them were written well and have purpose in this title. And of course Thunderbird was everything I wanted and more. He instantly develops a rivalry with both Cable and Brand, takes down Vulcan (yes) and advises Berto. He is Wolverine at the early days of his development, which makes complete sense since that was his personality and he didn't have the years after to mellow him out. His dislike of Summers is funny and logical at the same time, and cannot wait till he is Wolverine to Cable's Cyclops.
    This title and Immortal are everything I need from the franchise right now and I can happily skip the rest (although X-Men is on stand by till I see the new team).
    Last edited by Technopriest; 04-06-2022 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    What is connection from psylocke and a fisher king? I'm confuse
    Magneto mentioned he’ll bring it up with Psylocke next time he sees her, because of what the name represents.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I mean it is not that he has been given the name Fisher King by his people that I am questioning, just whether Ewing is going to mine the myths too deeply.

As for Arakko, it was in Amenth which at some point opened a portal to Otherworld and invaded one of the realms, but I honestly do not recall how long ago that invasion occurred or how much contact the Arakkii would have had with other cultures.
    yea the arthurian culture is weird to be involved. the other mythology like greek and egyptian can work, but all the arthur stuff wouldn't have happened until the middle ages which the arraki definitely wouldn't have encountered outside of otherworld, and i don't think they went there until the beginning of x of swords

good start,

I particularly appreciate the part on the red lagoon. Can't wait to see more interaction between Vulcan and Cable.

Storm leader of the new brotherhood vs the Xmen of March. Can't wait !

Not the first time Ewing has used the term royalty to refer to the Summers. I wonder what that means.