Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    I am not a big fan of Morrison but they created Dust, Angel Salvatore, Jumbo Carnation, Tatoo, Radian, Slick, Armor...
    Armor was actually created by Whedon, not Morrison.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I agree but somehow i feel thats the point. If they are going to hire him let him play in krakoa proper. If people just want to use ageism and say they feel he too old to write new ideas then just be real about it.
    He's not too old to write new ideas. He wants to "tie-up" and/or "correct" past stories and dangling threads good for him.
    Fact is...these characters have all moved on and moved past whatever soap-opera mess he put them through way back when.
    Maddie/Phoenix/Jean...all separated and happy and living their best lives.
    The Twelve...a convoluted rehash that has no relevance now given all the powerful mutants that currently exist.
    Moira...the only thing Claremont would be capable of doing is making an even bigger mess.

The best way I can look at this is Marvel giving him an XM:Legends maxi series but don't try to tie it into anything in this current era...keep it grounded squarely in the 80s-90s
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    He's not too old to write new ideas. He wants to "tie-up" and/or "correct" past stories and dangling threads good for him.
    Fact is...these characters have all moved on and moved past whatever soap-opera mess he put them through way back when.
    Maddie/Phoenix/Jean...all separated and happy and living their best lives.
    The Twelve...a convoluted rehash that has no relevance now given all the powerful mutants that currently exist.
    Moira...the only thing Claremont would be capable of doing is making an even bigger mess.

The best way I can look at this is Marvel giving him an XM:Legends maxi series but don't try to tie it into anything in this current era...keep it grounded squarely in the 80s-90s
    Exactly my position. Fixing a retcon using another retcon is exactly how we end the mess that is Jean/Maddie/Phoenix.

Maddie is basically five retcons transformed into a character.

Astonishing Member

https://www.cbr.com/the-green-lanter...on-non-binary/

There, now you have more than Glio's word on it. Considering that New X-men was heavily based on the movies for marketing value and that Morrision has mentioned things like not being able to use characters he wanted to like Colussus, not sure why the fact that clearly Marvel wanted the X-team to take more inspiration from the movie's cast isn't being blamed instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    You accusing Morrison, a non-binary person, of being antiLGBT for some strange plan means that I don't going to engage with you in this conversation anymore.
    Morrison writer black characters for D.C., that doesn't mean he gets no shade for making main X-Men w.a.s.p central. I left the books for his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/the-green-lanter...on-non-binary/

There, now you have more than Glio's word on it. Considering that New X-men was heavily based on the movies for marketing value and that Morrision has mentioned things like not being able to use characters he wanted to like Colussus, not sure why the fact that clearly Marvel wanted the X-team to take more inspiration from the movie's cast isn't being blamed instead.
    Thank you for this and i am glad they live in their truth. Still doesn't erase how i feel about the product though. I don't see why it would. I actually think the implication that a person who is non binary can't have the same emotions or biases as someone else is actually insulting.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

This reads like hasty fanfiction from a person who is in love with the Claremont of old and would like him to "fix" everything they don't like about modern X-Men.

Except we've already seen Claremont come back to the mutants several times. He can't really recapture the spirit of his original run. It always feels off. The dude will always have my respect for what he did before, but he is not the man of the hour anymore.

I really don't see Simonson being interested in this sort of work either. I know that Marvel will end the current status quo sooner or later, but hopefully it'll be nothing like this rumor.

Mighty Member

Wow.. that sounds absolutely awful. No thanks. One X of Swords was enough.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

X of Swords or Sword of X?

Incredible Member

I'm sure there's some truth to this, but not Claremont taking over the line level truth. I would imagine more that in the next volume of X-Men Legends, Claremont and Simonson are going to wrap up all of these plotlines in between the scenes of their original runs.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    We don't know what claremont has pitched vs what he was offered to write. And he has always been trying to move the franchise forward. IF not for him there would never have been xse.
    I was referring to his latest works. His latest present-time ongoing, Nightcrawler, didn't bring anything new, it was sustained by old characters (except Ziggy and Rico) and abandoned plots. And it was really disconnected from the other X-Books.

We don't know what he pitched, but we know that he doesn't read other X-writers. I've read many interviews and he repeats that he doesn't read X-books, and that his dream X-Men books to write are about stuff in the past or alternate realities where he doesn't have to deal with other writers using his characters. Many examples here.

Claremont has had plenty of opportunities to wrap up his dangling plotlines and has instead created more.
    Please Remain Calm

He has to write this story before I say anything about it.

For me, X-men is a thing of the past… These “New X-men” is something else…

For me, he cannot break anything.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

The only Claremont story I really want is the abandoned Phoenix mini-series explaining what happened to Rachel in Mojoworld between Wolverine's attempted murder and Excalibur.

Hopefully we get that arc in the new X-Men Legends series.

I don't think the rumors in this thread sound like they are true. I hope someone retcons Moira X eventually and I guess it would be nice to wrap up some of the Sat-Yr-9/Courtney Ross stuff he brought back in the 00's that never went anywher.e

His post 2000's stuff is pretty mediocre but it's never activley awful (except his Exiles run).

He's also not that bad at keeping up with modern continuity as some posters have suggested, he's just happy to tell people he doesn't read other people's takes on characters he's put so much of his life's work in to. Which you know - fair enough! I think he's professional enough to catch up on the important developments if he is writing a book on Krakoa though.

I think X-Treme X-Men was a really great compendium book to Morrison's New X-Men. Claremont really played well with Morrison's ideas and integrated them into his run.

After X-Treme X-Men, I haven't read anything I really enjoyed. I also think he never really got great artists to back up his writing in the last ten years. in the end, mediocre writing is always improved to beautifully by great art. Just look at Duggan's current X-Men run. Comics is a visual medium after all.