Mighty Member

Default Arrowverse question

I had asked previously whether you could watch S&L cold knowing that it might or might not be part of the Arrowverse. But I was also curious when it comes to the other shows can you watch those that you enjoy? For example, if you want to watch the crossover events, but don't feel like watching all of the shows but only Black Lightning lets say, can you do that? Or are there references to the wider universe in those shows pre and post events?

To be completely honest, you can watch any of the shows by themselves if you want to. Might be a little lost with the first crossovers, but if you do watch the crossovers, you'll get a good feel for what these characters are about and that's enough. It's not like it's prerequisite that you have watch this show and that show to fully appreciate this particular show, I don't think it would be good for these shows if that were the case, they're meant to stand on their own first and be a apart of a shared universe second.
    Last edited by GSman; 04-06-2022 at 08:04 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    To be completely honest, you can watch any of the shows by themselves if you want to. Might be a little lost with the first crossovers, but if you do watch the crossovers, you'll get a good feel for what these characters are about and that's enough. It's not like it's prerequisite that you have watch this show and that show to fully appreciate this particular show, I don't think it would be good for these shows if that were the case, they're meant to stand on their own first and be a apart of a shared universe second.
    You mention being lost about the first crossovers? I remember I think the first one involved Arrow and Flash, but what is the confusing part?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    You mention being lost about the first crossovers? I remember I think the first one involved Arrow and Flash, but what is the confusing part?
    Confusing probably wasn't the right word, more you'd miss some of the story history between the characters how they met how and they've formed these relationships since Flash's first appearance was on Arrow and that served as a backdoor pilot to his own show. But thinking back on those first crossovers, they do have recaps at the beginning to fill you in, so it's isn't really a concern. But otherwise, besides the odd reference to other shows, the shows are usually pretty self contained, it's not a must to have watched everything, especially if it's S&L since that's quite self contained apart from a small cameo from another Arrowverse hero.

Black Lightning, Superman and Lois, and Stargirl (I don't think it's an Arrowverse show but just in case) can all be watched with no or next to no problem.

I think Batwoman is also in the same camp but I really don't know.

Legends of Tomorrow does pretty much its own thing with minimal crossovers

Supergirl was also in a separate universe for most of its run and as such should be fine.

Honestly, I didn't have much of a problem with Arrow and Flash by themselves, but they do tend to get in eachother's business more than the other shows.

Incredible Member

is superman and lois even part of the arrowverse continuity anymore ? Diggler did appear but no other arrowverse characters appeared, not even supergirl. The Lucy Lane from S & L seemed a bit different from the one from Supergirl, personality wise.

You can blame Crisis for that. Lucy's backstory changed, though she wasn't recast like her father.

Sorry Thezmage, but you're wrong. Despite being in a different universe until Crisis, Supergirl still crosses over with at least The Flash every season except for the last! Batwoman is directly affected by Crisis in it's first season too. Which caused confusion when it aired on E4 in the UK, because they skipped the Crisis episode and aired it last, probably thinking airing it would be confusing because some viewers might not have seen the other four Crisis episodes on Sky One.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sorry Thezmage, but you're wrong. Despite being in a different universe until Crisis, Supergirl still crosses over with at least The Flash every season except for the last!
    Yes, but they are smaller crossovers and with the multiversial quality youre not expected to be overly familiar with the continuity of the other show in a way that you might be for, say, the Flash and Arrow. It's why I put it below Black Lightning on the "self-contained" scale

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    is superman and lois even part of the arrowverse continuity anymore ? Diggler did appear but no other arrowverse characters appeared, not even supergirl. The Lucy Lane from S & L seemed a bit different from the one from Supergirl, personality wise.
    Heheh.... "Diggler."

But hey - since Diggle knows these guys, I want to see Gen Roy Stewart (Diggle's father) show up as a friend of Gen Lane so we can finally get that "Congo" reunion going!