Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Too Petra In New Mutans 14 Petra vs SCOUT

Too Pic

https://www.gamesradar.com/a-classic...s-14-spoilers/

Petra vs Scout
    Last edited by juan678; 04-07-2022 at 02:24 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Petra and Sway were never real? Resurrected they mean?

Wasnt cyclops ordering both of them back to earth when the Brood attacked Krakoa?
    Ayala used Petra in one of the New Mutants circuit class.

Edit. oops didn't see juan678 post.

Mighty Member

Petra and Sway were never real? Resurrected they mean?

Wasnt cyclops ordering both of them back to earth when the Brood attacked Krakoa?

Hickman said:

The thing I probably got the most angry about, that was my biggest screw-up in this entire thing... I rewrote some dialogue really really quickly, and one of the lines I rewrote in the dialogue was Havok saying something like, 'Petra and Sway are back on Earth, they went back through the gateway and they're back on Earth.' Petra and Sway are dead. They exist only in Vulcan's mind. And so, he was supposed to be imagining them the whole time. All of the scenes you see Petra and Sway in, that's just him imagining it.

I need the Claremont thing to be true! Only he can fix the Hickman BS.

Makes me wonder why Hick won’t have Petra and Sway resurrected? It’s not like their DNA isn’t in Krakoa‘s body. And they can now resurrect everyone pre-Cerebro too.
    Those two should immediately be the first ones after Thunderbird to be brought back.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Makes me wonder why Hick won’t have Petra and Sway resurrected? It’s not like their DNA isn’t in Krakoa‘s body. And they can now resurrect everyone pre-Cerebro too.
    Those two should immediately be the first ones after Thunderbird to be brought back.
    According to Hickman's original notes about resurrection and how far back they were able to go: Petra, Sway, and John were all outside his parameters of who could be resurrected. Technically I don't think their dna existed anymore as they were completely incinerated as Petra was trying to save Gabe and Darwin. He had scripted that Gabriel would be having conversations with Petra and Sway, but they were in his head...but then he goofed and had a line where Havok acknowledged them being alive. Which meant they were then fair game to be used in New Mutants and other books. And Hickman was pissed at himself for messing up his own plans, as it then made readers question why them but not John.

So to be clear, they have been resurrected for a long time, much sooner then he wanted.

Hi! I don't have explanations for the New Mutants thing, but my thought about Petra and Sway was always this: they are not really resurrected (not yet, not before ToM at least). They are implants in the mind of Vulcan placed there by a telepath (maybe Xavier) to keep Gabriel in control. So the other Summers, and maybe not only them, are faking to believe they're alive, because know of the implants and have to fake to keep Gabriel "good". Since the first number of X-Men by Hickman Gabriel is acting like he still was the kid that was in team with Petra, Sway and Darwin, and is speaking about the "inferno" inside him that is trying to resurface. And I suppose it's what is happening in Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I need the Claremont thing to be true! Only he can fix the Hickman BS.
    X2

Claremont>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hickman

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros-PhoeniX View Post
    Hi! I don't have explanations for the New Mutants thing, but my thought about Petra and Sway was always this: they are not really resurrected (not yet, not before ToM at least). They are implants in the mind of Vulcan placed there by a telepath (maybe Xavier) to keep Gabriel in control. So the other Summers, and maybe not only them, are faking to believe they're alive, because know of the implants and have to fake to keep Gabriel "good". Since the first number of X-Men by Hickman Gabriel is acting like he still was the kid that was in team with Petra, Sway and Darwin, and is speaking about the "inferno" inside him that is trying to resurface. And I suppose it's what is happening in Red.
    Vulcan = Wanda
    Xavier or any other telepath = Agatha Harkness
    Petra and Sway = Wanda‘s erased kids

We know Petra and Sway not being real was what Hickman originally intended, but he messed up. That's a fact. They have also been mentioned or briefly shown up elsewhere since then.

I suppose they'd have to retcon the whole thing and it may not work perfectly either way.

At the same time, after more recent events...if Thunderbird could be resurrected then presumably both of them could be. If not before, then certainly now.

Finally, Claremont is way past his best days as a main X-Men writer. He can write good mini-series and such, but it would be foolish to give him a larger role now.

Astonishing Member

Yeah personally I don't really care either way whether writers go with Hickman's original idea that Petra and Sway were hallucinations or if they were resurrected all along, so long as they get resurrected now and actually start showing up places other than one issue of Ayala's New Mutants in the background. I've been interested in both those characters from the start, I particularly found Sway intriguing and always wanted her expanded on and I'm kinda just annoyed that ever since their inception, they've continuously been sacrificed for the sake of Vulcan's storyline. Like even now, its like they're literally being held back just because whatever's going on in Gabe's brain is more worthwhile than anything that could be done with the two of them as actual CHARACTERS in their own right, and its like sorry not sorry, I happen to disagree. Gimme Sway on a team lineup already plz.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Yeah personally I don't really care either way whether writers go with Hickman's original idea that Petra and Sway were hallucinations or if they were resurrected all along, so long as they get resurrected now and actually start showing up places other than one issue of Ayala's New Mutants in the background. I've been interested in both those characters from the start, I particularly found Sway intriguing and always wanted her expanded on and I'm kinda just annoyed that ever since their inception, they've continuously been sacrificed for the sake of Vulcan's storyline. Like even now, its like they're literally being held back just because whatever's going on in Gabe's brain is more worthwhile than anything that could be done with the two of them as actual CHARACTERS in their own right, and its like sorry not sorry, I happen to disagree. Gimme Sway on a team lineup already plz.
    Or at least they could give her Tempo's old job aging whisky for shaw.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Or at least they could give her Tempo's old job aging whisky for shaw.
    LOL, no, but seriously, I really want to see the real Petra and Sway's reactions to present day Vulcan. "Wait, so let me get this straight. We die saving your ass, and you, the one of the four of us who was always most vocal about wanting to be an X-Man, about things being bigger than just us, about wanting to do the right thing and help people, just chose to completely ignore us dying for you and instead try to use our deaths as part of your excuse to go throw a tantrum about how everyone else was mean to you, up to the point of taking over an interstellar empire pretty much for the sole reason of making sure everyone knows your meat is huge? Class act, dude. Really feeling the love. A+ way of honoring our memories. Especially when you were like, one of only four people who even COULD have honored our memories since nobody else ever even knew us."

Plus, I just think they could have a really interesting dynamic with everyone who came after them. They were X-Men for like all of five seconds, and completely forgotten about for years, and there's got to be so much cognitive dissonance between later X-Men having to forcibly remind themselves of the timeline of events and where these two fit in and that they're actually closer to being contemporaries with the 05 and Giant-Size lineup even though age-wise they're currently closer to being on par with Generation X? Even juxtaposed against Thunderbird you're gonna get weirdness, because like, John was remembered for years as the first X-Man who died and his death made such a huge impact on the X-Men as a whole, and these two were forcibly erased....I wanna see how they feel about Xavier, and how he's regarded by the nation as a whole, like.....we saw Vulcan's reaction to Xavier and what he did, but it ended up very diluted by Vulcan's later actions and a lot of the righteous anger towards Xavier for his initial actions in the long-run kind of gets lost in comparison to the magnitude of Vulcan's worst actions. And meanwhile, we had Darwin take pretty much the exact opposite take to Gabe and never really indicate much resentment about what happened or being erased/hidden from the other X-Men's knowledge, because it was basically presented as a binary, it was either be with Vulcan or be against him, there wasn't much room for a middle ground.

With Petra and Sway though there's a great opportunity to present a middle ground, the other two members of that ill-fated squad who aren't looking to use what Xavier did as an excuse to rage against the universe, but they're also not looking to just forgive and forget either. I want these two to be like 'hey how bad do you really feel about what happened to us and what you did afterwards, if like, resurrecting us the first chance you ACTUALLY got wasn't any kind of a real priority for you? And for that matter, how many of the average Krakoans out there that you're ruling over like, even know about this particular chapter of your history, and I wonder how they'd feel about it if it did become common knowledge because like, oh idk, you suddenly had to explain where these two random X-Men almost nobody's ever heard of actually came from?"

Basically, I just have a lot of Petra and Sway feelings and think their story has so much potential and there's so many ways you could go with them, and that like could potentially have huge repercussions for a lot of characters and books. Their resurrections should be a Big Deal™ and carry a lot of consequences and implications.

And that's not even getting into the whole Moira of it all. Really sucks that along with the lack of mentions about Kevin and Rahne in Moira's overall storyline and worldview, nobody's done anything with the team of four young mutants that she took in and mentored/trained personally. Like, what was that all about in terms of her grand scheme, how did it fit in?

Also I just think Sway's time phantoms are neat. The closest thing I think there is to them is Rachel's chronoskimming power, but Suzanne's temporal echoes are something she makes happen in real time and visible to everyone. Its a cool power, and could come in handy in various books like Legion of X.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 04-08-2022 at 03:35 PM.

Incredible Member

Beside the New Mutants stuff, I just check and both Petra and Sway were also among the mutants that helped fight the forces of Amenth in X of Swords. It should be to late to pretend that they were not resurrected and are just part of Vulcan imagination, but I wouldn't put it past the X-Office.

The only thing I can imagine as of right now, is that Vulcan recently had more of his memories unlocked and accidentally leashed out, killing Petra and Sway in the process.
    Vulcan‘s mind can’t be manipulated and so they keep P&S in the que.