Page 39 of 90 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

I'd like to just step in and thank the Washington Nationals for being even more insignificant and having an even worse record than my A's, keeping them from last place humiliation for now.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I'd like to just step in and thank the Washington Nationals for being even more insignificant and having an even worse record than my A's, keeping them from last place humiliation for now.
    Just remember to start practicing calling them the Vegas A's...

Though even I have to respect owners with the stones to directly copy the plot of Major League's evil owner to get their move.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Still, that only one other guy, even in the minors, has ever done it make it one of those moments the batter will be able to live off of, or at least score some goodwill...
    oh I think it is a phenomenal accomplishment and should be celebrated, I just don't think all that odd that he wasn't being pitched around later in the game. It's not easy hitting one HR in a game, let alone 4.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Seeing those greats walk out. It got to me. This is what the game is about. Not the records, not the owners, not the off field scandals. None of that matters tonight. Tonight it is pure baseball and a reminder of just what makes this game so great.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Seeing those greats walk out. It got to me. This is what the game is about. Not the records, not the owners, not the off field scandals. None of that matters tonight. Tonight it is pure baseball and a reminder of just what makes this game so great.
    Game was great, felt like a playoff game rather than a regular season version. The hologram was a bit off-putting. Can't they find someone nearly as classic who is also still alive enough to be present? That said, given the movie, perhaps using a ghost to lead the 7th inning stretch was probably appropriate.

My condolences to John Smoltz, who was on commentary despite losing his father that very day. I don't know how he managed. I would have been, and was when it happened to me, a wreck, in no shape to pretend to be happy. The tragedy was revealed at the end of the game, and you would never have known it earlier from his demeanor.

I winced when watching Contreras roll his ankle like that. Tough guy just walked it off and stayed in the game. Kudos to him.

The tribute to Ray Liotta was touching. Damn, he was SO good as Shoeless Joe. Speaking of which, isn't it a bit much for MLB to portray him in such a sympathetic manner, and then still deny him a place in the HOF. You just can't tell the story of baseball with him and the rest of the Black Sox. And, IMO, he was screwed. From what I understand, he and the others were basically farm boys at a time when that meant something entirely different than it does now, not being wise to how things are done in the big city, or in a big business like MLB.

Votto should be great on color if he chooses when he retires, based on his miced up bit.

MLB needs to pick this game right back up again after the next season, during which Frank Thomas will be building some youth baseball stadium and some other projects on the site. I hope he doesn't over build it, or the charm will be lost. It's already nearly at that point.

My condolences to John Smoltz, who was on commentary despite losing his father that very day. I don't know how he managed. I would have been, and was when it happened to me, a wreck, in no shape to pretend to be happy. The tragedy was revealed at the end of the game, and you would never have known it earlier from his demeanor.
    I had no idea about his dad. How he could sit there and call a game. Wow. I could never in my life do that.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Got an alert that Fernando Tatis Jr. was slapped with an 80 game suspension for using PED’s.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Got an alert that Fernando Tatis Jr. was slapped with an 80 game suspension for using PED’s.
    he's young, and he may still accomplish great things in MLB, but his legacy will always be tainted.

It's ironic, I was just reading n article this morning about players who got 10+ year extensions and how none of them have ever really worked out, and the author said the one exception could be Tatis because he still has so much of his career ahead of him to live up to the contract after he recovers from the injuries (the article was in the context of what kind of extension offer should Devers get from the Sox and Judge form the Yankees). Now not so much for Tatis. Another huge multi-year extension that comes crashing down on the organization that handed it out.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Whoa! Damn, that hurts them. But then so did the Soto trade...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    he's young, and he may still accomplish great things in MLB, but his legacy will always be tainted.

It's ironic, I was just reading n article this morning about players who got 10+ year extensions and how none of them have ever really worked out, and the author said the one exception could be Tatis because he still has so much of his career ahead of him to live up to the contract after he recovers from the injuries (the article was in the context of what kind of extension offer should Devers get from the Sox and Judge form the Yankees). Now not so much for Tatis. Another huge multi-year extension that comes crashing down on the organization that handed it out.

-M
    I'd have to hear more. Roids after all do have legitimate uses for healing....which might mean he was doing so under doctor's orders.

I'd have to hear more. Roids after all do have legitimate uses for healing....which might mean he was doing so under doctor's orders.
    Maybe so, but, it’s incumbent on Tatis to know what’s being put in his body, and his doctor to know what can and cannot be prescribed. Ignorance in this instance is not an excuse.

He claims it was inadvertent and in medicine he took to treat ringworm. Again, ignorance is no excuse, and there are several treatments for ringworm on the market, not all of them have steroids.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    He claims it was inadvertent and in medicine he took to treat ringworm. Again, ignorance is no excuse, and there are several treatments for ringworm on the market, not all of them have steroids.

-M
    Ya I agree. Plenty of other treatment for ringworm. Sad hes very young and talented.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Hey Red Sox beat the Yanks in a walk off. Eovaldi actually looked pretty good.

My Phillies nipped the Mets 2-1 in ten innings last night. Ranger Suarez matched Max Scherzer goose egg for goose egg until the Phightins broke the tie in extras. The play of the game was outfielder Matt Vierling nailing Sterling Marte at the plate in the bottom of the ninth to keep the score tied.