Page 1 of 90 123451151 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Default MLB 2022 Season Thread

With Opening Day today, let’s start a thread for the new season. And, there’s some news as, because of rainy weather in the Midwest and East Coast, the Red Sox-Yankees game in the Bronx and the Mariners-Twins game in Minnesota have been cancelled and will be made up tomorrow. And with that….

PLAY BALL!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    With Opening Day today, let’s start a thread for the new season. And, there’s some news as, because of rainy weather in the Midwest and East Coast, the Red Sox-Yankees game in the Bronx and the Mariners-Twins game in Minnesota have been cancelled and will be made up tomorrow. And with that….

PLAY BALL!
    A couple of observations. First, the Dodger's hitters are NOT ready. Bellinger is still mired in the worst slump of his career, making him look like I would at an MLB plate, confused, slow, and way out of place. He also looks almost...gaunt, like there's something wrong with him. Hope not. Betts...isn't the Betts the Dodger scooped up, and of the rest, only Freeman seems to be fiing on all cylinders, picking up where he left off.

The Phillies OTOH look very much there. Harper....is a beast! Watching him in ST you can well believe he almost single handedly nearly got the Phillies into the playoffs. And now he's got backup. True, Realmuto still seems off at the plate, but hopefully he'll come around quickly. Don't know what to make of the Mets with all their injuries and new players. But losing their top pitchers for part of the season has got to hurt.

Beyond that, I hear Goldschmidt has had himself a monster spring, so he might be fun to follow. Over at the Angels, Ohtani is...basically doing what he did last season. Trout....don't know. He's back, sort of, playing a bit in spring, but taking the last few games off because he was "feeling under the weather". Freeman at the Dodger also had one of those. One. Rendon is...don't know yet, but at least he's playing and looking like he feels good. I have no idea about their pitching overall, but it's always been their weakness.

The Mets are looking okay after a solid spring training. The DH has opened up a lot of opportunities for bubble players to get some playtime including J.D. Davis who is one of the worst fielders I've ever seen and the corpse of Robinson Cano. One of my biggest areas of intrigue this year is what the heck to we do with Dominic Smith? He ended up being the MVP of our Spring, but he has no real place in the lineup. DH, Left Field, First Base? All of those spots seem to be filled. The real irony is that he is arguably our best defensive First Baseman. In a perfect world, he'd slide in there with Pete Alonso being our clear every day DH, but Pete has made it clear that he sees himself as a First Baseman and with him being one of our core star players, you don't want to piss him off.

The pitching situation feels better than last year, but it's hard to get too excited with Jacob deGrom's continuing struggles with nagging injuries. It's easy to be pessimistic as a Mets fan, but I worry that I'm never going to see a full season with deGrom again, but the worst of it is that I believe this has really dashed all hope of deGrom making the Hall of Fame. He was always going to have an uphill battle starting as late as he did, but he needs more time playing like he has the last few years to be considered. The biggest concern is that his days as a starter are number, but I hope if that's the case, then he can set himself up as one of the best Long Relievers in the game.

I know the game is cancelled for today but Go Red Sox!

And since this is the start of the season, how can anyone not get choked up at the James Earl Jones Field of Dreams speech.

Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Let’s Go Braves!!! Defend the ship baby !
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post

And since this is the start of the season, how can anyone not get choked up at the James Earl Jones Field of Dreams speech.

Speaking of which, are they running that game again this season? And...it is not possible to have a heart and not get choked up at that.
    Last edited by achilles; 04-07-2022 at 09:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Ohtani has become the first MLB player in two decades to be on the cover of Time magazine today.
    Last edited by achilles; 04-07-2022 at 09:11 AM.

My Phillies don’t play until tomorrow, but I’m excited for the start of the new season. And yeah, that speech stirs so much emotion regarding my first true sports love.

Ultimate Member

I get choked up at the ending of that movie, helps a lot that i wish that I could play catch again with my dad, but he's playing catch with the angels so...

Aside from that the Cardinals also got Pujols back for their DH...

Just glad we're getting an opening day right now

Extraordinary Member

I was watching the Phillies' final spring game yesterday, and watched Moniak get hit on the hand by a pitch and thought. "oh Hell". Turns out I was right, and for the exact reason I was concerned; broken hand, six weeks.

Padres Yu Darvish no hit the Diamondbacks for 6 innings only to see his bullpen cough up 4 in the ninth to lose the game. Padres seem to be picking up where they left off last season.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

My Phillies kicked off the new season with a 9-5 over Oakland. Kyle Schwarber hit a lead off homer in his first plate appearance before the home crowd and the bats were plenty active today.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My Phillies kicked off the new season with a 9-5 over Oakland. Kyle Schwarber hit a lead off homer in his first plate appearance before the home crowd and the bats were plenty active today.
    That's a really tough order to face; there's no huge weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    That's a really tough order to face; there's no huge weaknesses.
    And with the DH in the Senior Circuit, there’s no concern about the guaranteed out that’s the pitcher’s spot in the order. Between Harper, Realmuto, Schwarber, Castellanos and Hoskins, that’s a real menacing lineup to be sure. While it’s only one game, I like what I see so far.