Page 17 of 90 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Got an alert from Bleacher Report that the 22-29 Phillies fired manager Joe Girardi. Bench coach Rob Thompson will assume the reins for the rest of the season.
    I know a couple people on this board should be happy to hear that.

I dont think he was the right guy for the job. The team this year just does not seem to gel together well. And when they are on they do pretty well. But there have been way too many games they just come out looking lifeless.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I know a couple people on this board should be happy to hear that.

I dont think he was the right guy for the job. The team this year just does not seem to gel together well. And when they are on they do pretty well. But there have been way too many games they just come out looking lifeless.
    Originally, I was elated with the hiring of Girardi, but, I soured on him this season because of his hamfisted handling of the pitching staff, not to mention questionable decisions like always favoring veterans over younger players, even when said vets were not pulling their weight, and yeah, it just seemed like Girardi didn’t give a damn at times, and the team mirrored his attitude. Now, I have no book on Rob Thompson, so I guess Phillies fans like me will just learn on the fly about him.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The thing I was most worried about in last night's game was our pitching, however Taijuan Walker and the bullpen did their job holding the Dodgers to only two runs. The bats did not show up with the team only coming away with 3 hits, leading to our first shut out of the year.

Francisco Lindor's absence was felt in a big bad way by not providing protection to our more streaky hitters or the leadership in the line up. His freak door related incident came at the worst time as he is as hot a bat as there is in baseball at this point in the season. Hopefully when he returns, he is able to pick up where he left off.

Jeff McNeil continues to be one of the biggest surprises. In the back half of 2019, he decided he wanted to be a power hitter and changed his approach. It seems like this year he has gone back to focusing on contact and it has panned out placing him firmly in the Top 5 in BA and Top 10 in OBP in the National League. I can probably count on one hand the number of games he's gone without a hit.

I'm hopeful Lindor can be back soon (tonight!?) and that the bats can wake up tonight. I'm told Tony Gonsolin is in early Cy Young talks right now, so it's not a real concern that he tore us up. That said, I can't imagine we continue to hold the Dodgers to 2 runs.

Shouldn't the Phillies have fired whoever put together their +4 ERA pitching staff?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Shouldn't the Phillies have fired whoever put together their +4 ERA pitching staff?
    You mean Dave Dombrowski? That would’ve been nice, but I knew that wasn’t going to happen. But now, he’s on the hot seat.

Originally, I was elated with the hiring of Girardi, but, I soured on him this season because of his hamfisted handling of the pitching staff, not to mention questionable decisions like always favoring veterans over younger players, even when said vets were not pulling their weight, and yeah, it just seemed like Girardi didn’t give a damn at times, and the team mirrored his attitude. Now, I have no book on Rob Thompson, so I guess Phillies fans like me will just learn on the fly about him.
    Well he's starting with a Harper who can't play the field and likely isn't hitting like she should (even though he can still swing the bat) because of injuries and one that is missing Segura from the line-up for a significant stretch of time, and that's in addition to the roster issues that also contributed to the slow start, so he's got an uphill battle. I am not sure how stocked the Phillies farm is, but remaking a roster mid-season is not easy, really the only things that there is readily available is bullpen arms (though they may not be high leverage) as it seems every team now has multiple guys coming out of the pen throwing 95+ and might be willing to move some for prospects, but finding teams willing to deal dependable starters or everyday position players is like looking for the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. However, you do have trader Dombrowski in charge who will empty your farm system for a couple of expiring contract veterans at the drop of a hat if he thinks it will get you 4-5 more wins in a wild card chase, so you never know. But really it's going to come down to Thompson and his ability (or lack thereof) to get more out of the players already there. Or as the Mets mantra this year seems to be-just play better baseball.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Rob Thomson’s debut as Phillies manager was a good one as the bats came alive in a 10-0 rout of the Halos. Kyle Schwarber and Bryce Harper hit two homers each while Zach Eflin threw eight shutout innings. Not bad, not bad at all.

Extraordinary Member

Rob Thomson’s debut as Phillies manager was a good one as the bats came alive in a 10-0 rout of the Halos. Kyle Schwarber and Bryce Harper hit two homers each while Zach Eflin threw eight shutout innings. Not bad, not bad at all.
    Good for them, but keep in mind that they caught the Angels in the middle of their biggest slump in years. Also, they're the Angels...

Red Sox won last night with a late one but they still look awful lol.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Good for them, but keep in mind that they caught the Angels in the middle of their biggest slump in years. Also, they're the Angels...
    And they were coming off a twinbill loss up in the Bronx Thursday night and probably didn’t arrive in Philly until early Friday morning, so they were likely running on fumes when they took the field last night. Still, a win is a win is a win, I don’t care who it was against.

What a great and exciting win for the Phillies yesterday. Down 6-2 bottom of the 8th, Harper hits a Grand Slam. The Angels go up by 1 run in the top of the 9th. Then With 2 outs, bottom of the 9th, Stott hits a 3 run HR. Get the win 9-7 and the sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by cable guy View Post
    What a great and exciting win for the Phillies yesterday. Down 6-2 bottom of the 8th, Harper hits a Grand Slam. The Angels go up by 1 run in the top of the 9th. Then With 2 outs, bottom of the 9th, Stott hits a 3 run HR. Get the win 9-7 and the sweep.
    Hell of a great way to end the weekend for the Phightins. Meanwhile, the Angels have lost twelve straight I think. OUCH! That must have Joe Madden squirming, even if but a little.

A split with the Dodgers is all I was really hoping for. Now on to the Padres.

Extraordinary Member

Hell of a great way to end the weekend for the Phightins. Meanwhile, the Angels have lost twelve straight I think. OUCH! That must have Joe Madden squirming, even if but a little.
    It's their pitching as usual. Moreno was evidently saving his pennies to buy the land around Angel Stadium so he could develop it into some big mixed use thing centered around the stadium and the Honda Center. Now that deal has been scuppered due to the alleged illegal conduct of the now ex-mayor and some other pols, so Angel fans of course are again screwed. Another good starter and at least two good relievers and they might at least be less embarrassing.

Well will you look at that....The Red Sox are above .500 at 28-27. They still suck though. 11.5 games back. The Yankees are just that good.

Funny thing is I could see the Red Sox getting a wildcard spot. I dont see the point but hey thats baseball these days.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime