Page 36 of 90 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Wow, the Angels just gave up. I suppose it's Arte Moreno's revenge of his little real estate...deal...going awry. Well, Phillies fans should be happy; getting Syndergard and Captain Caveman will help you guys. Thor has been pretty good since coming back, given the limitations of being on a team that provides little to no run support. One caveat: he's been on limited pitches...so I can't tell you how his arm will hold up under a full schedule.
    Well, we’ll find out quick if Thor is up to the task as he’ll pitch tomorrow in front of the Phillies phaithful against the gNats.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Red Sox vs Royals tonight. Would like to see a little win streak happen.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Red Sox vs Royals tonight. Would like to see a little win streak happen.
    Hosmer debuts for the Sox but they DFA Jackie Bradley Jr to make room on the 40 man roster. As agonizing as every AB by JBJ can be, the sheer joy I experienced watching him play the field was amazing. He is one of the best defensive outfielders I have seen play the game, but his bat never consistently matched his ability with the glove, though he would have the occasional hot streak (see the 2018 ALCS for an example), it was never quite enough to make it worth keeping him in the line up every day, and now he's gone in a numbers crunch.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Hosmer debuts for the Sox but they DFA Jackie Bradley Jr to make room on the 40 man roster. As agonizing as every AB by JBJ can be, the sheer joy I experienced watching him play the field was amazing. He is one of the best defensive outfielders I have seen play the game, but his bat never consistently matched his ability with the glove, though he would have the occasional hot streak (see the 2018 ALCS for an example), it was never quite enough to make it worth keeping him in the line up every day, and now he's gone in a numbers crunch.

-M
    I love JBJ but I am happy to see him go. His time was up long ago in Boston.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Thor took the mound for the Phillies last night, and, I have to say, it wasn’t exactly memorable as he gave up four runs on eleven hits against bottom feeding Washington. Fortunately, the Phils scored five in rain shortened, five inning win. Hopefully, Syndergaard will do better in his next start. Meanwhile, with three games left in this series, the Phils can’t afford to take the gNats lightly, nothing’s more dangerous than a team written off for dead with nothing to lose, and that’s Washington all over after having traded Soto on Tuesday.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Thor took the mound for the Phillies last night, and, I have to say, it wasn’t exactly memorable as he gave up four runs on eleven hits against bottom feeding Washington. Fortunately, the Phils scored five in rain shortened, five inning win. Hopefully, Syndergaard will do better in his next start. Meanwhile, with three games left in this series, the Phils can’t afford to take the gNats lightly, nothing’s more dangerous than a team written off for dead with nothing to lose, and that’s Washington all over after having traded Soto on Tuesday.
    Ah, he probably just needs to have a pep talk from Anthony Hopkins; he'll be fine.

Last night Red Sox manager Alex Cora got tossed for arguing a replay call on Salvador Perez's home run (it's an automatic ejection for arguing a call after replay it seems). Today MLB contacted the Res Sox to tell them they got the replay call wrong, the ball hit inside the stadium and the mark was visible under the yellow line demarcating a home run and should have been a double scoring two runs instead of three. Didn't matter to the final score though it did change some momentum during the game itself. But from all angles it looked pretty obvious the ball was in the park, except to the replay officials whose opinion was the only one that mattered at the time.

I've always been of two minds on replay, whether the interruption to the games was worth it, and if they actually do make games in any sport better. Bad calls are part of the game, and I understand people want to make them better, but when plays like this happen I go back to, it may be worth it if the calls end up being right, but to interrupt the game, take away the human element and then still get it wrong, it always makes me more cynical, especially when things like roboumps for balls and strikes are under consideration.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Wow, the Angels just gave up. I suppose it's Arte Moreno's revenge of his little real estate...deal...going awry. Well, Phillies fans should be happy; getting Syndergard and Captain Caveman will help you guys. Thor has been pretty good since coming back, given the limitations of being on a team that provides little to no run support. One caveat: he's been on limited pitches...so I can't tell you how his arm will hold up under a full schedule.

I feel real bad today though, Vin was the guy I grew up with, listening to him on radio, my Angels are basically dead and Shohei would be a fool to stick around a second longer than he has to, and he's no fool. I figure the Dodgers, Yanks, and maybe the Mets might be the only ones who can afford what his ask will be. Trout's...brittle. Rendon...just didn't work.

Personally, I wish MLB would make him sell. And the owners of the Reds, D-Backs, and Rox. The A's at least have an understandable motive; they are basically acting out the plot of "Major League".
    Everyone in Cincy including many of the players wish the owners of the Reds would sell. The only team that actively make the team worse by giving up good players for garbage.

Baseball is my all time favorite sport and I have watched my Reds all my life. But I will be honest and say I have not watched more then 5 games this years. Phil asked where the fans were going to go? I found a place to go and it aint watching The Reds right now.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

MLB wants to play a regular season game at Bosse Field in Evansville, Indiana. It's the third oldest ballpark in the US after Fenway and Wrigley and is probably best known for being the place that "A League of Their Own" was filmed.

Likely won't happen until after 2024 given things have to be done to make it viable but it would be really cool.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

I feel real bad today though, Vin was the guy I grew up with, listening to him on radio, my Angels are basically dead and Shohei would be a fool to stick around a second longer than he has to, and he's no fool. I figure the Dodgers, Yanks, and maybe the Mets might be the only ones who can afford what his ask will be. Trout's...brittle. Rendon...just didn't work.

Personally, I wish MLB would make him sell. And the owners of the Reds, D-Backs, and Rox. The A's at least have an understandable motive; they are basically acting out the plot of "Major League".
    It's what happens when you spend all your money on hitters but head to Goodwill for your pitching crew and defense. The fact that Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani are two of the biggest players in the league and likely won't ever sniff the playoffs is a criminal offense and just money left off the table.

Yankees have it a snag, giving up a lead to the Cards in the 8th just won't do.
    Under .500 since the break.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GindyPosts View Post
    MLB wants to play a regular season game at Bosse Field in Evansville, Indiana. It's the third oldest ballpark in the US after Fenway and Wrigley and is probably best known for being the place that "A League of Their Own" was filmed.

Likely won't happen until after 2024 given things have to be done to make it viable but it would be really cool.
    Cool. Field of Dreams game was fun, (this Thursday for this year's addition BTW), this should be too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Last night Red Sox manager Alex Cora got tossed for arguing a replay call on Salvador Perez's home run (it's an automatic ejection for arguing a call after replay it seems). Today MLB contacted the Res Sox to tell them they got the replay call wrong, the ball hit inside the stadium and the mark was visible under the yellow line demarcating a home run and should have been a double scoring two runs instead of three. Didn't matter to the final score though it did change some momentum during the game itself. But from all angles it looked pretty obvious the ball was in the park, except to the replay officials whose opinion was the only one that mattered at the time.

I've always been of two minds on replay, whether the interruption to the games was worth it, and if they actually do make games in any sport better. Bad calls are part of the game, and I understand people want to make them better, but when plays like this happen I go back to, it may be worth it if the calls end up being right, but to interrupt the game, take away the human element and then still get it wrong, it always makes me more cynical, especially when things like roboumps for balls and strikes are under consideration.

-M
    I've always hated the replay. On the one hand, you have Manfred et al constantly whining about how the pace of the game is too slow so they have to do all these dumb other things to pick up the pace. Just stop with the replays and save ten minutes per game. In the end the calls all tend to balance each other out anyway.

My Phillies pummeled Washington 13-1 yesterday to complete a four game weekend sweep, outscoring the gNats 36-12 while slugging 14 homers. While the gNats were reduced to a AAA team after last Tuesday's trade of Juan Soto and Josh Bell, a year ago, the Phils would've found a way to split that series, maybe even lose three of the four games. Even still, the Phils have to keep on playing hard if they're to make the postseason for the first time since 2011.

Extraordinary Member

Well, Moniak is definitely an Angel; he didn't wait five games before breaking down for the season. Who knew you had to hold the bat on the non-bunting side.