Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Oh yea this has been all over the news here. And the national guys picked it up. This is going to be a long post/rant.

Here is the run down.

Pretty much since the Castellini family took over they had a cycle. They would have some good guys on the team that they got through FA or in the farm system. They second they start doing good and we get a decent season or two they are traded off for no name minor league prospects.

Well a couple season ago they did get some guys in free agency and Trades. Trevor B, Casty Shogo a couple others. We had a couple seasons we were doing wee. Trevor B even won the Cy Young. So at the end of the last season we felt good. Some off season moves and we could make a good run.

Well Casty left, (Not a shock our manager is a joke and he was wanting a fat check and wanted to be on a winning team) I aint mad at him. figured he was gone.

Then the FO started to trade off our decent pitchers and a couple fan favorites. And in return we got very cheap prospects and guys who have a history of underperforming. The fans were rightly mad.

It was a low level fire sale and money dump to save money under the guise of building to be competitive in the next 2 to 3 years. When the fact was we have been mildly competitive for the last two years and had a lot to build on.

So the fan backlash was massive.

Opening day here in Cincy is huge. Companies give people time off work, people come in from all over in Ohio Indiana, Tenn, Ky. We have a parade. A huge deal.

Well Phil said pretty much if the fans are not happy with the team they out out it doesnt matter. What are we going to do? Where are we going to go? No other teams in the area and its not like we are going to not root for the Reds and stop rooting for them. He said if us the fans really want the Reds to be competitive then the Reds need to be in a better market. So be careful what we wish for. He also added the team needs to make a profit for the owners.

He has of course done the Twitter im sorry tour. But fans and sports talk guys here are super super pissed. I am super pissed. I have been following this team for 33 years and we the fans have just gotten a big **** You from the owners.

The only reason people are in the stands tonight is one of our two most hyped pitching prospects are making their big league debut tonight. But I expect Great American to be a ghost town after our West Coast road trip.

And as to what are the fans going to do? Over 100 season ticket holders since his comments have called to demand refunds. And over 3000 on hold reserved tickets for the season have been cancelled.
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-13-2022 at 05:03 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Oh yea this has been all over the news here. And the national guys picked it up.
    Damon Amendolara (CBS Sports Radio) is teeing off on Castellini as I type these words of wit. The “Where you gonna go?” audio clip really set him off, and he broadcasts from New York City, so I can imagine that pissed you off since you live in Cincinnati, bb.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Damon Amendolara (CBS Sports Radio) is teeing off on Castellini as I type these words of wit. The “Where you gonna go?” audio clip really set him off, and he broadcasts from New York City, so I can imagine that pissed you off since you live in Cincinnati, bb.
    Oh man there can not be enough words to type out how mad I am that the ownership of a team I have watched, rooted for and put a lot of time and energy into for the last 33 years said something like this. I am beyond mad. And man there is a whole town of people that feel the same. The back lash is crazy anger right. And he or at least his dad who is the one with the most say on the team knows how bad he messed up because he has been all over Twitter and Reds media with the Im sorry tour.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

It seems to me that doing the Twitter apology tour AFTER saying all that is more than a little weak sauce. I'm not really a Reds fan, and even I found that way over the top and it did piss me off on Reds' fans behalf.

So, after the Phillies were blanked last night by a pitcher I never heard of before, their reward in this afternoon’s 1:05 getaway game is facing Max Scherzer. Oh, joy. But, the Phightins will counter with Aaron Nola, so runs, on both sides figure to be at a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It seems to me that doing the Twitter apology tour AFTER saying all that is more than a little weak sauce. I'm not really a Reds fan, and even I found that way over the top and it did piss me off on Reds' fans behalf.
    Yea it is weak and this guy is a POS. I remember about 3 years ago. He was at the ball park and after one of our many rebuilds. One fan heckled him yelling

"Lean to manage a payroll." His response?

"When your bank account goes over 3 figures you can talk to me about money. Till then go back to the double wide."

Extraordinary Member

Yea it is weak and this guy is a POS. I remember about 3 years ago. He was at the ball park and after one of our many rebuilds. One fan heckled him yelling

"When your bank account goes over 3 figures you can talk to me about money. Till then go back to the double wide."
    Oh, I remember that! He was that guy?!?! Wow.

And this guy followed the reign of error that was Marge Schott. In a word….yikes!

Two great statements on the state of the Reds Ownership right now. One from USA today and one yesterday from Casty. You Phlliy fans are lucky to have him.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/04/red...-with-baseball

https://twitter.com/nightengalejr/st...azoEOm-6A&s=19

Ohtani vs. Kwan, who’s gonna come out on top?

Extraordinary Member

Weigh in on the big MLB controversy of the day; Dave Roberts' inexplicable decision to pull Kershaw...80 pitches in, who was pitching a PERFECT GAME till that point. Pulling someone working on a perfect game?!?

Yeah, here in Dodger land, we're used to Roberts screwing up their pitching; he does it every year. I will admit though, he usually waits a bit to start ruining the pitchers and destroying their morale. Yeah, I get the same arguments the guy makes every year to explain why he pulled something like that with his top pitchers. I mean he STILL always blows out his best pitchers' arms every season, but that happens near the end of the season; I'm impressed that he started so early.

Weigh in on the big MLB controversy of the day; Dave Roberts' inexplicable decision to pull Kershaw...80 pitches in, who was pitching a PERFECT GAME till that point. Pulling someone working on a perfect game?!?

Yeah, here in Dodger land, we're used to Roberts screwing up their pitching; he does it every year. I will admit though, he usually waits a bit to start ruining the pitchers and destroying their morale. Yeah, I get the same arguments the guy makes every year to explain why he pulled something like that with his top pitchers. I mean he STILL always blows out his best pitchers' arms every season, but that happens near the end of the season; I'm impressed that he started so early.
    I've heard and read that Kershaw asked to be pulled because he was out of gas, and he tweeted that he blamed the owners because of their lockout which resulted in a shortened spring training and pitchers unable to properly stretch out their arms before the season started. On top of that, Kershaw's 34 and had been dealing with arm issues of late, to tax him this far, this soon in the season would've been foolish, and Roberts would've been pilloried if Kershaw wound up hurt. I'm reminded of the cautionary tale of Johan Santana who, in his early 30's and coming off an arm injury, threw 134 pitches in a perfect game for the Mets in 2012 but was never the same after that as his career quickly cratered. If I was a Dodger fan, I'd be happier with meaningful wins in October with a division title on the line than a perfect game in April.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I've heard and read that Kershaw asked to be pulled because he was out of gas, and he tweeted that he blamed the owners because of their lockout which resulted in a shortened spring training and pitchers unable to properly stretch out their arms before the season started. On top of that, Kershaw's 34 and had been dealing with arm issues of late, to tax him this far, this soon in the season would've been foolish, and Roberts would've been pilloried if Kershaw wound up hurt. I'm reminded of the cautionary tale of Johan Santana who, in his early 30's and coming off an arm injury, threw 134 pitches in a perfect game for the Mets in 2012 but was never the same after that as his career quickly cratered. If I was a Dodger fan, I'd be happier with meaningful wins in October with a division title on the line than a perfect game in April.
    If you were a Dodger fan though, you'd notice that Roberts nearly always blows their chances late in the season precisely because he always blows out his pitcher's arms by late season. And it isn't like Kershaw isn't getting plenty of rest. This was his first start of the season after all. There have been something like 28 perfect games in all of MLB history; hundreds of thousands of games, I should think. It is one of the absolute rarest accomplishments in baseball. It's just my opinion, well, and that of what looked like dozens of current and former Major Leaguers according to their tweets, that a guy like Kershaw should be allowed to finish the game, or at least pitch until he walks someone or they get a hit.

If you were a Dodger fan though, you'd notice that Roberts nearly always blows their chances late in the season precisely because he always blows out his pitcher's arms by late season. And it isn't like Kershaw isn't getting plenty of rest. This was his first start of the season after all. There have been something like 28 perfect games in all of MLB history; hundreds of thousands of games, I should think. It is one of the absolute rarest accomplishments in baseball. It's just my opinion, well, and that of what looked like dozens of current and former Major Leaguers according to their tweets, that a guy like Kershaw should be allowed to finish the game, or at least pitch until he walks someone or they get a hit.
    Yes, I've read about how Roberts handles and mishandles pitchers, however, in this instance, I believe he did the right thing by pulling Kershaw, perfect game be damned, he's not the first manager who's done that, and he certainly won't be the last. Speaking just for myself, I'm the kind of fan who puts team goals over player goals (especially as a Phillies fan and haven't seen my team in the postseason since 2011), I would've been far happier with the win and shrugged over the loss of a perfect game, I've never seen one thrown, either live or on TV, so that doesn't move my needle, perhaps that makes me an anomaly, but that's how I roll.

Yeah apparently Robert asked Kershaw after the 6th if he wanted to keep going, and Kershaw said I'll do one more inning or an 85 pitch limit, whichever comes first. So Roberts may have a bac track record on handling pitchers, but in this case, the onus is on Kershaw himself, who basically told him I ain't got enough in the tank to finish this and the win in more important that the individual accomplishment.

As for blaming the owners for the shortened spring training, well spring training wasn't shortened, it's just that the second half of spring training is counting in the standings. April baseball is what we would have gotten in the latter part of spring training, and we won't realy know what teams or players look like for real until sometime in May, but unfortunately those April games count and could make or break some team's seasons before they actually are fully ready to play.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato