Page 53 of 90 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

It was a group of college players who got that 60th. The guy who got it never had a thought of keeping it, (and it would have been worth many thousands), but returned it for a picture with him, singed balls for all four college guys, and a signed bat from Judge. His thinking, correct IMO, was that it was Judge who hit it, Judge who was the great player, and the guy who deserved and earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's not because the Yankees are a better team, it's because Judge is the only reason they will still win their division. How is that not an MVP? It's not that he is having a good year, he is having a legendary season. Ohtani is a unicorn, and will get an MVP if he keeps playing like this. But this season for Judge is historic.
    It's historic, but not unprecedented. Ohtani is historic and unprecedented. We've seen seasons like Judge's before as good as it is. We've never seen someone do what Ohtani has done. Judge is on a list with only a handful of other players, Ohtani is starting a list no one else is on yet. Both are deserving, but saying it should be Judge because he is more valuable to the Yankees is a farce, the MVP is not about about that, it's about best individual achievement-the proof is in the voting for previous MVP winners.

People say it's about who is more valuable to their team. That is the talk they talk. The walk they walk though shows it goes to best individual performance no matter how they impact their team's success. I have no issue with Judge getting it over Ohtani. I have an issue with rationalizing it by saying the award has any relation to actual value to the team. If we are going to do that, let's have a breakdown of each player's stats-how many of Judge's HR and RBI impacted the outcome of the game and how many were add on runs when a game was already out of hand or meaningless runs when the Yanks were losing badly? How does that compare with other players and how they impact their team's success? We don't measure that because it doesn't matter for the MVP. It has nothing to do with how the player actually impacts the team's success. Any correlation between player success and team success in MVP consideration is purely coincidental and not part of the the award's mandate. The evidence of voting patterns show there is no relationship at all between MVP and how valuable a player is to the team's success. It's time to put that myth to bed.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Ohtani is the only player who pitches and DHs. Historic yes, but does not lead in any stat. He is unique and great. But this season belongs to Judge.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Ohtani is the only player who pitches and DHs. Historic yes, but does not lead in any stat. He is unique and great. But this season belongs to Judge.
    Again, no one else has ever hit 30 plus HRs and had 200 Ks in a season. People have done everything Judge is set to do, and I don't devalue that at all. He's on track for a Triple Crown after all.

How about Co-MVP's?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Again, no one else has ever hit 30 plus HRs and had 200 Ks in a season. People have done everything Judge is set to do, and I don't devalue that at all. He's on track for a Triple Crown after all.

How about Co-MVP's?
    By this logic, Ohtani should be MVP every year he does reasonably well at both positions. He only needs a good year and he is permanent MVP. Even if a player like Judge has an historic year.

What Ohtani does is astonishing, and if it were against another player having a really good year, like Freeman or Alonso or Verlander, then sure. But Judge is breaking records that many consider standing since 1961.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-21-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

By this logic, Ohtani should be MVP every year he does reasonably well at both positions. He only needs a good year and he is permanent MVP. Even if a player like Judge has an historic year.

What Ohtani does is astonishing, and if it were against another player having a really good year, like Freeman or Alonso or Verlander, then sure. But Judge is breaking records that many consider standing since 1961.
    And Ohtani is setting records that may never be broken. Judge's records, if he gets there, will be broken in time. Ohtani's may never be broken.

And if Ohtani continues to put up unprecedented numbers, I would be ok with him being MVP every year if that is the best individual performance each season. I am also ok with Judge winning this year, it's the first year he has managed to stay healthy since his rookie season for folks to see what he is capable of in a full season. That may never happen again.

I just hope we don't have later revelations that tarnish the home run record like we did last time.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I can see a case made for both. I wont be upset with whoever gets it. But if Judge can tie the record or beat it he is a lock. Pretty sure he is now anyway.

I think that Judge should get it though.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    And Ohtani is setting records that may never be broken. Judge's records, if he gets there, will be broken in time. Ohtani's may never be broken.

And if Ohtani continues to put up unprecedented numbers, I would be ok with him being MVP every year if that is the best individual performance each season. I am also ok with Judge winning this year, it's the first year he has managed to stay healthy since his rookie season for folks to see what he is capable of in a full season. That may never happen again.

I just hope we don't have later revelations that tarnish the home run record like we did last time.

-M
    I hope not too. Judge does regard Bonds' as having the record; I don't agree with him, I think it will be Judge in a few days who holds the REAL record. IF, and that's important, IF he proves not to have juiced. I don't think he did, but I've been fooled so often about things like that....I just don't know. Also, he seems to be a nice person, at least from what I can see of him. Just like Shohei. Hell, maybe the Yanks will get Shohei...

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

-M
    What records? That he can both hit and pitch is amazing, and he is a phenomenal player. But he is still unique because he does both so well. He doesn't hold the lead in either.
    I agree we will not see anybody like him in a long time, if ever, but you want him to get the MVP because he does both things so well, but he is not the best at either.
    And Judge is clearly the best hitter we have seen in a while, as well as a good fielder.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My Phillies broke their five game slide with a 4-3 10 inning win over Toronto last night. The victory keeps them 1 1/2 games behind San Diego for the second NL Wild Card slot and 2 1/2 ahead of Milwaukee who's currently on the outside looking in. But, things don't get any better for the Phightins with Atlanta in town for four starting tonight. After seeing how the Braves waxed us last weekend, if we win one out of four, I'll consider that a good thing.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My Phillies broke their five game slide with a 4-3 10 inning win over Toronto last night. The victory keeps them 1 1/2 games behind San Diego for the second NL Wild Card slot and 2 1/2 ahead of Milwaukee who's currently on the outside looking in. But, things don't get any better for the Phightins with Atlanta in town for four starting tonight. After seeing how the Braves waxed us last weekend, if we win one out of four, I'll consider that a good thing.
    What a great and much needed win last night! Hopefully it carries over to tonight's game, and the next 3 after that.

Anyone in a damn Yanks jersey can suck a rotten egg.

That said, Judge for MVP.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Yeah, likely. As of now, he's holding that Triple Crown. All he has to do is finish it off.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Totally agree on both.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cable guy View Post
    What a great and much needed win last night! Hopefully it carries over to tonight's game, and the next 3 after that.
    Suarez is on the bump tonight, Nola tomorrow, Falter on Saturday and, I’m guessing, Gibson on Sunday for the home finale.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!