Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Who Are The Most Misunderstood Marvel Characters?

In your personal opinion, which are the most misunderstood Marvel character who’s suffered the most from writers be it comics or movies or animation not getting them the most, or many fans misconceptions about them as characters?
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Extraordinary Member

The Scarlet Witch. In almost all of her comics appearances, she's an unambiguous hero and has quite limited powers. Unfortunately, thanks to Avengers Disassembled and House of M being the only stories many people have read with her in them, it's incredibly common to think she's a crazy woman and that she has nearly omnipotent reality-altering powers.

Also the X-Men cartoons, which is where most people first saw her, have created the misconception that being the daughter of Magneto is much more important to her comics history than it is.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    In your personal opinion, which are the most misunderstood Marvel character who’s suffered the most from writers be it comics or movies or animation not getting them the most, or many fans misconceptions about them as characters?
    In my case (and I will always say this because it is what I believe and it hurts me a lot because I have always loved this character) it is The Enchantress, she has always been treated terribly badly and the writers seem to be able to write only one type of story for her and she has also been around since her appearance in 1964 and we don't even know her history or her origin and for me it's very frustrating because the character has a lot more to offer.

Hank Pym is definitely one of them

Extraordinary Member

Medusa. Everyone thinks she is a loving wife and mother like Sue Storm. She’s isn’t.

Hank Pym. Man has a severe mental health breakdown, goes evil, hits his wife. Evil incarnate. Meanwhile Stark and Richards act like dictators and commit warcrimes every few years abd it's a-ok.

Donald Blake.

Created as being a tool. Caged away for decades in an illusion when he wasn’t needed anymore.
    Being tortured into eternity because he went angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Donald Blake.

Created as being a tool. Caged away for decades in an illusion when he wasn’t needed anymore.
    Being tortured into eternity because he went angry.
    a shameful treatment in the end. I would have rather that they just erased him entirely rather than that story arc. Horrible.

Blade is my misunderstood character. too many writers like writing him as a jobber, relatively impotent against important villains and threats.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

William Evans, Jr.

As a child he had the power to both consciously and unconsciously warp reality. The potential for disaster in one so young and so powerful was undeniable. He's exactly the kind of mutant that Xavier claims that he built his academy to teach. Created in 1978, Willie should have been one of the first characters added to any of the various spin-off X-men teams. He should have been Franklin Richards before Franklin Richards. Instead, almost a decade goes by and when Marvel finally does feature William in a story, they kill him off, leaving little more than a Grunt to show that he ever existed, or even mattered.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    William Evans, Jr.

As a child he had the power to both consciously and unconsciously warp reality. The potential for disaster in one so young and so powerful was undeniable. He's exactly the kind of mutant that Xavier claims that he built his academy to teach. Created in 1978, Willie should have been one of the first characters added to any of the various spin-off X-men teams. He should have been Franklin Richards before Franklin Richards. Instead, almost a decade goes by and when Marvel finally does feature William in a story, they kill him off, leaving little more than a Grunt to show that he ever existed, or even mattered.
    I named my CBR nickname after him. If Krakoa ever resurrected him, he’d definitely be an Omega Level mutant

Starfox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Medusa. Everyone thinks she is a loving wife and mother like Sue Storm. She’s isn’t.
    How Ahura ended up and the amount of times she's cheated on Black Bolt show that very well...

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    William Evans, Jr.

Ever the scholar! Thanks for this gem of a character. His marginalization should have told me the story of why he's at current state.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I named my CBR nickname after him. If Krakoa ever resurrected him, he’d definitely be an Omega Level mutant
    Nice, you chose well.

With Grunt still being alive, bringing Evans back is pretty easy, even without Krakoa. I mean seriously, what is death for a guy who can manipulate everyone's conscious grasp of reality? But until a writer decides to properly revive and use Evans, he's worse than dead.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Ever the scholar! Thanks for this gem of a character. His marginalization should have told me the story of why he's at current state.
    Thank you, sir. Just trying to keep those flickering candles in the window lit. I'll never understand why Marvel writers continue to roll out these new characters, when they have plenty of good ones gathering dust in the attic.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Hank Pym. Man has a severe mental health breakdown, goes evil, hits his wife. Evil incarnate. Meanwhile Stark and Richards act like dictators and commit warcrimes every few years abd it's a-ok.
    Please. Reed gets a pass when he does wrong. Tony always pays for his mistakes or misdeeds. Stark suffers from severe mental issues as well.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 04-09-2022 at 02:58 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark