Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was a growing human being when GILLIGAN'S ISLAND was on the tube. So I thought it hilarious at first but grew to detest it as the most mind-numbingly stupid T.V. show ever to exist.
    You've only watch three or four shows in your life, right? Even if you don't like Gilligan's Island, even if every single member of the cast personally showed up and took turns kicking your dog, I have a hard time seeing how anyone would consider it the worst than shows like My Mother the Car, After MASH, Cop Rock, Homeboys in Outer Space, or countless reality TV series.

Retired

I was a growing human being in the 1960s--so in the first season I thought it was hilarious, by the third season I had grown to detest it. I kept growing after that and now I don't feel that way anymore. I'm pretty sure I saw every episode at the time and some multiple times--because I was the youngest of five and even if I didn't like it, my older siblings all did so it was constantly on and I couldn't escape it. Which is probably what beat me down and made me hate it by 1967.

I only remember MY MOTHER THE CAR being on for a few episodes in 1965--so I wasn't exposed to it enough to hate it. According to the internet there were 17 episodes, but I don't remember that being the case in my city--since we were in Vancouver and would only have seen it if it was carried on a Canadian station. And it had Jerry van D y k e--and in 1965, I was still young enough that a talking car amused me, almost as much as a talking horse and a talking robot.

I liked Bob Denver's next series, THE GOOD GUYS. And I have a good feeling about all the actors on GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. It's not a show I detest anymore, but I think the people that love it now are not the people who were there when it originally aired. So they might love it ironically.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It became a cultural icon too. I mean, it ran 3 seasons before getting canned, but boy did it get numerous continuations and revivals later on with animated series, specials and reunion movies.
    I remember the last reunion movie where they were rescued, spent some time trying to acclimate to civilization, came back together on a boat and ended up getting stranded again on the same island. I also remember watching the Green Acres reunion movie, though I don't really remember what happened.

Extraordinary Member

True story.

Gilligan's Island was renewed for a fourth season. The cast and crew were told about it and left for the break after the third season.

A wife of one of the CBS executives noticed that Gunsmoke was not on the prime time schedule and pitched a fit because it was her favorite show. They revamped the schedule, putting Gunsmoke back on and canceling Gilligan's Island.

It was devastating to the cast and crew of GI.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    True story.

Gilligan's Island was renewed for a fourth season. The cast and crew were told about it and left for the break after the third season.

A wife of one of the CBS executives noticed that Gunsmoke was not on the prime time schedule and pitched a fit because it was her favorite show. They revamped the schedule, putting Gunsmoke back on and canceling Gilligan's Island.

It was devastating to the cast and crew of GI.
    It wasn't just an executive's wife. There was widespread public outcry and even complaints from members of congress

Yah Gunsmoke was an incredibly popular TV show at the time. Kind of odd that everyone realized it except for the dumbasses who moved it out of prime time.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I remember the last reunion movie where they were rescued, spent some time trying to acclimate to civilization, came back together on a boat and ended up getting stranded again on the same island. I also remember watching the Green Acres reunion movie, though I don't really remember what happened.
    I had to google it since it has been like 20 years since I watched it, but this was actually the first "sequel" movie. They get rescued after 15 years on the Island. A tsunami is headed for the island. Professor has all the huts tied together to form a raft, they get washed out to sea and are rescued by the Navy. On the 1 year anniversary of being rescued they take cruise on the Minnow II and of course end up back on the same Island.

The 2nd sequel movie saw them get rescued once again. The Howels buy the Island and turn it into a resort called the Castaways. It was a pseudo pilot for a new one hour show similar to Love Boat with different visitors to the Island each episode. It never got picked up. The third was called Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island. It marked the last appearance of Jim Backus who was in poor health due to suffering from Dementia. He did make a brief cameo at the end, as his character was said to be back on the mainland. The ratings were not good so no more movies were made.

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    I had to google it since it has been like 20 years since I watched it, but this was actually the first "sequel" movie. They get rescued after 15 years on the Island. A tsunami is headed for the island. Professor has all the huts tied together to form a raft, they get washed out to sea and are rescued by the Navy. On the 1 year anniversary of being rescued they take cruise on the Minnow II and of course end up back on the same Island.

The 2nd sequel movie saw them get rescued once again. The Howels buy the Island and turn it into a resort called the Castaways. It was a pseudo pilot for a new one hour show similar to Love Boat with different visitors to the Island each episode. It never got picked up. The third was called Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island. It marked the last appearance of Jim Backus who was in poor health due to suffering from Dementia. He did make a brief cameo at the end, as his character was said to be back on the mainland. The ratings were not good so no more movies were made.
    I had no idea that was the first of three reunion shows. I have no memory of the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I kind of liked the first reunion movie. There was a strange kind of substance to it.
    Power with Girl is better.

The lack of the real Ginger made the reunion shows difficult for me to watch or care about.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The lack of the real Ginger made the reunion shows difficult for me to watch or care about.
    Fair enough but that was Tina Louis's decision.
    Power with Girl is better.