Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Spider-Man, hands down. That said there has been a decline in his supporting cast and I feel other characters have suffered from the same issue.
    I agree. I've really only dipped in and out of the Spidey books since the JMS run so correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if only the really consistent supporting cast members in the Spidey books are MJ and Aunt May, which is a real shame, IMHO. I know JJJ makes appearances every once and again, but it doesn't seem as if he's as regular a presence as he used to be. I also think getting rid of Harry was a mistake and I understand that Flash as Anti-Venom has his share of fans, but I also miss when he just used to be the reformed bully and now buddy of Pete.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I agree. I've really only dipped in and out of the Spidey books since the JMS run so correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if only the really consistent supporting cast members in the Spidey books are MJ and Aunt May, which is a real shame, IMHO. I know JJJ makes appearances every once and again, but it doesn't seem as if he's as regular a presence as he used to be. I also think getting rid of Harry was a mistake and I understand that Flash as Anti-Venom has his share of fans, but I also miss when he just used to be the reformed bully and now buddy of Pete.
    I think that’s why I feel like Spider-Man’s supporting cast is overrated. No one really remembers them.

That said, it’s really nice how adaptations go out of their way to try and include them in spite of them losing relevance.

Jonah's a regular whenever Silk gets a book, as he's her employer - and there's the classic dynamic of him not knowing her identity, something no longer possible with Peter now that he revealed his secret to his step-brother (Jonah's Dad was married to Aunt May, but died - it's really step-cousin, but since May is like a Mom to Peter, functionally they're step-brothers) in Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man. It makes sense that he appears less in ASM now that Peter doesn't work for him. He does still show up from time to time, there was an arc in Spencer's run where he gave Peter a new costume so that he could film him for his Threats and Menaces website.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

I've always subscribed to the idea that if you want a superhero to be successful you give them good villains and a great supporting cast. Is that necessarily true? Obviously not. Do I stand by it? 100%.

Spiderman at one time did have a great cast. But that has kind of fallen off. A lot of in and out characters that were plot devices for a few issues. Ones that were around a bit longer but no one remembers. Outside of his big support cast like MJ, Aunt May, JJ, Harry, No one really remembers or cares about most of them.

That can be said with pretty much every hero. Who really knows or cares much about D cast out side of Froggy and Karen (Havnt read DD in awhile so not sure if she is still a thing)

And can we quit calling heroes supporting cast? Wolverine does not have a great supporting cast because of his Xmen connections. They are heroes. I would say the same with Sam and Bucky. They are great heroes in their own right and I think have moved past the mantle of Cap's Sidekicks. I dont consider them support cast they are partners.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Yeah, Sam even has his own book for crying out loud.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jonah's a regular whenever Silk gets a book, as he's her employer - and there's the classic dynamic of him not knowing her identity, something no longer possible with Peter now that he revealed his secret to his step-brother (Jonah's Dad was married to Aunt May, but died - it's really step-cousin, but since May is like a Mom to Peter, functionally they're step-brothers) in Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man. It makes sense that he appears less in ASM now that Peter doesn't work for him. He does still show up from time to time, there was an arc in Spencer's run where he gave Peter a new costume so that he could film him for his Threats and Menaces website.
    And even before that, Jonah made recurring appearances, particularly in these two arcs, "Lifetime Achievement" where he was forced to face the more destructive side of his legacy, in the form of someone he'd unwittingly radicalized into violence with his anti-Spider-Man crusade in the media over the years, and "My Podcast with Jonah," where he first joined up with Threats and Menaces and got to hash things out with Spider-Man on the titular podcast.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

For the most part, I agree. While I very much enjoy the current Black Widow series, I did feel that that book could've used a few non-superhero types in Natasha's supporting cast since her mission in that book was to clean up the streets of San Francisco, similar to Spider-Man and Daredevil (both of whom I feel civilian supporting cast members are essential).
    Speaking about Natasha's supporting cast, what ever happened to her chauffer Igor? (Just wondering.)
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

I liked Chord and Tai of the early issues of the first run of the New Warriors. Tai eventually revealed herself to be something different than what she seemed, and Chord became less and less present in the book after Bagley left. neither were present in any of the New Warriors revivals. I miss them, and wish that they'd had a bigger relevance in later issues. If the Warriors ever make a decent comeback, I hope the writer remembers them, at least Chord.

Peace

Edit: as for who is the most remarkable supporting character ever: IMHO, Edwin Jarvis. No team that didn't have him around ever felt like Avengers. The Mansion is almost another supporting character that I miss.
    Last edited by Nomads1; 04-11-2022 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Speaking about Natasha's supporting cast, what ever happened to her chauffer Igor? (Just wondering.)
    I really liked him. The best part of the run when Daredevil and Widow were in San Fran was his character. I got the feeling he didnt like Matt much.
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-11-2022 at 04:15 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ms. Marvel poster focused only on her supporting cast. A prime example of how you can have a hit superhero franchise even with weak villains, as long as you have nailed the supports.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Ms. Marvel poster focused only on her supporting cast. A prime example of how you can have a hit superhero franchise even with weak villains, as long as you have nailed the supports.

Kamala has solid villains. It just seems like none of them are actually in her show .

It's kind of weird that her mom doesn't have a hijab though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    His name was Ivan, and oh, you don't wanna know...

He was turned into an evil cyborg and Nat had to kill him.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.